gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:26:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could go any Beach Boy concert in history  (Read 9466 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2019, 05:04:01 PM »

I would say early '72, when Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky were all in the band...Daryl and Toni...and Dennis sometimes playing keyboards. Just to see who played bass on which songs would be worth it! Smiley

Works for me too...

St. John's University, Jamaica, NY
March 25, 1972

This is one of just a handful of shows that featured Bruce Johnston AND Blondie Chaplin and Ricky Fataar.
Archive Update:Ian Rusten notes that this show was actually performed on March 25th, not on March 8th as originally posted.

Beach Boys present:

Mike Love
Dennis Wilson
Carl Wilson
Bruce Johnston
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar
Al Jardine
Backup band included:

Daryl Dragon
Toni Tenille?
SETLIST

1. WOULDN'T IT BE NICE
2. LONG PROMISED ROAD
3. SLOOP JOHN B.
4. TAKE A LOAD OFF YOUR FEET
5. COOL, COOL, WATER
6. DISNEY GIRLS (1957)
7. DO IT AGAIN
8. HEROES AND VILLAINS
9. WILD HONEY
10. SURFIN' U.S.A.
-Intermission-
11. SURF'S UP
12. LET THE WIND BLOW
13. DARLIN'
14. WONDERFUL/DON'T WORRY BILL
15. GOD ONLY KNOWS
16. HELP ME, RHONDA
17. STUDENT DEMONSTRATION TIME
18. GOOD VIBRATIONS
-Encore-
19. CALIFORNIA GIRLS
20. SURFER GIRL
21. I GET AROUND
22. FUN FUN FUN

Contributed by: "C-Man" & Craig Janos, date correction Ian Rusten

Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2019, 07:51:52 PM »

Honestly, I would do anything to be able to go back in time and see Carl live.  Preferably in the late 60s or early 70s but honestly, anytime, anyplace.  My biggest Beach Boys regret is that I never saw him perform.  

That's my biggest regret, too. I wish I had seen Dennis, but he died when I was 19 and I was just a casual fan. I didn't become a hard-core fan until the first set of two-fers came out in 1990. But as I became a hard-core fan I also became a dumb snob who didn't want to see Mike prance around. And so I never saw Carl. And when I did see Mike, at C50 in 2012, he was great -- as was the whole band.

I have a clear choice, but first here are some runners-up, many of which have been mentioned.

-- A 1963 Carl, Dennis, Mike, Dave and Al show to document that brief period.

-- A 1964 show with Brian in his prime. That Australian "What I Say" show someone mentioned sounds like a great concert, and I'd love top see Australia.

-- The "Good Vibrations" debut in Michigan with Brian watching from the wings.

-- The 1970 Whiskey A Go-Go show when Brian got on stage.

-- Carnegie Hall in 1972.

-- 1980 Knebworth. They were great, and Dennis being back added so much.

-- Someone on the road crew (I think) told a story of a 1983 show when Brian was playing one of his first shows back and Dennis sang (at least part of) "He Ain't Heavy He's My Brother' to him. If that happened, I would have loved to have seen that.

But my choice would have to be this one. The Boys kicked ass, and boy was there more to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsT6BsU9NX8
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 08:20:48 PM by Sound of Free » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2019, 01:00:29 PM »

Honestly, I would do anything to be able to go back in time and see Carl live.  Preferably in the late 60s or early 70s but honestly, anytime, anyplace.  My biggest Beach Boys regret is that I never saw him perform.  

...  and I'd love top see Australia.

Don't get too excited these days were basically a satellite suburb of LA .......
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2019, 02:02:50 PM »

....with a pretty average rugby team. Go the All Blacks!!!!  LOL

But to keep on topic. The Sydney performance of ‘What I Say’ is great. https://youtu.be/OMFsy9fIaqQ

And although I probably didn’t appreciate it at the time, I feel blessed to have seen Dennis once and Carl several times after in concert. Very fortunate given what happened to them both.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:07:19 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 08:38:08 AM »

Wembley Stadium 1975 opening for Elton John. Just to see if their performance really was that good that particular day.

I'm with you on this one. I have heard the recordings of it, and I would have loved seeing this show. I also wish I was older to have seen the first concert with the original members of both Chicago and The Boys. I saw them during the second time they toured together, it was good. But not seeing Terry, Peter, and Dennis on stage with the bands it was heartbreaking.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2019, 06:30:32 AM »

2. The Australian Concert where they played What I Say, so I can finally put to rest who is singing lead.

And who was playing sax. Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2019, 09:50:43 AM »

Which shows? Hmm.

I'd have liked to see the March 27, 1965 show at Arie Crown Theater in Chicago. You had Brian near the height of his powers, singing "Please Let Me Wonder" and the band really sounding great.

I'd say 1967 Hawaii shows would be great to see for obvious reasons. I know that for years some "insiders" had pushed this whole thing that they sounded like sh*t, but I don't hear it when I listen to the Hawaii material from the 1967 - Live Sunshine set. "Heroes and Villains" sounded awesome and crazily enough I thought that "Barbara Ann" truly rocked.

The February 28, 1970 show at the Seattle Opera House is of obvious interest to me as well, with Brian rejoining the live group since Mike Love was not there. Surely would've been interesting to see.

From there, well...a choice Blondie and Ricky era show in like 1972 would be nice. Any later '70s shows with an engaged Brian would also be cool. From the '80s on, I think Live Aid might have been cool to see the guys at. I also would've liked to see the 1995 Las Vegas performance where Brian sang "Don't Worry Baby" in the original key (if memory serves), with help from Matt Jardine. After that, I guess I'd have to say the final show of C50 in 2012 would've been amazing.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 12:20:31 AM »

1964 so cal shows, hows this even a question Wink
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 12:22:11 AM by chewy » Logged
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2019, 10:10:20 AM »

Come on guys - pick ONE.  Make it hard on yourselves.  Pick the ONE show you'd go back in time if asked right now.  You only get one. 

Whiskey November 4, 1970 with all six of them would be my choice.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2019, 10:39:43 AM »

1964 so cal shows, hows this even a question Wink

I get you, but 30 minutes of surf/ car/ covers compared to what was to come?

I’ll stick with the St James University (above) with the add-on of the BW presents Smile concert I did attend.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:44:40 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2019, 08:01:00 AM »

Great question, one that I have asked myself many times!

2. The Australian Concert where they played What I Say, so I can finally put to rest who is singing lead.

It's Carl

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »

Leid'n Hawaii Smiley
thegoldenyear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2019, 04:55:56 AM »

The November 1970 Whisky stand's been mentioned upthread, and yesterday/today mark the 49th anniversaries of Brian's show-and-a-half appearance.

I'll take November 4, 1970 as my answer, because it's apparently the first time the six-man-with-Bruce iteration played a full set together, and the idea of watching Brian trade off on Moog synth with Capt. Dragon is too good to pass up.

Badman's book has a tantalizing photo of the November 4 show, and a quick Google of Getty images revealed something I never caught before: Carl shaves his beard DURING the four-night stand! He's fully bearded during Brian's gigs, and plays at least one show with a Kirk Gibson-trademark three-day growth. Weird.

Attached below, an alternate colour photo from the B&W in Badman's book. (Original Twitter link is here: https://twitter.com/beachboyslegacy/status/794995385257304064)

And here's a link to the Getty/Michael Ochs pics from that week. Some head-scratching pics in there (was the photog taking pics upside down?) amid a few keepers.

https://www.gettyimages.ie/photos/the-beach-boys?begindate=1970-11-01&enddate=1970-11-10&family=editorial&phrase=the%20beach%20boys&recency=daterange&sort=mostpopular
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 04:57:39 AM by thegoldenyear » Logged
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2019, 06:32:43 PM »

Does anyone know if the version of Jumpin Jack Flash that is floating around youtube is the one that was going to be included on the original concert album, or if it was a different one?  From a legacy standpoint I wish the original version had been released.  Wild Honey and Jumpin Jack Flash on the same album?  All that's missing is a Dennis song.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 12:34:01 PM »

Mar a Lago, 1999
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2019, 01:27:05 PM »

Mar a Lago, 1999

LOL
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2019, 01:13:41 PM »

I would say early '72, when Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky were all in the band...

This would be my pick as well
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2019, 07:14:11 PM »

May 11, 1973 at SUNY Delhi in Delhi, NY. My parents attended when my mother was 6 months pregnant with me. The music made me restless so she had to sit outside and listen from a hallway.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 01:35:35 AM by Bud Shaver » Logged
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2019, 08:40:47 PM »

Saw them in South Florida in Spring '72, '73, '74.  Would love to see any of those again.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx