gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:55:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could go any Beach Boy concert in history  (Read 9460 times)
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2019, 10:08:39 AM »

If you could pick to see the band at any year and venue, which would you pick?

My pick would be the early 2000s with Adrian Baker. Just kidding I want to see the band in 1970 at Whisky A Go-Go.

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 11:04:38 AM »

Assuming i could get within the first few rows...

1st choice:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2012/royal-albert-hall-london-england-43dddffb.html

2nd choice:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-beach-boys/2015/royal-albert-hall-london-england-4bc98f66.html

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 12:28:57 PM »

Something from the Ricky and Blondie era ... randomly I'll go with Nassau Coliseum August 1973

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/8-73.html

I selected this concert because it says the Cal Girls and We Got Love recordings from the wonderful In Concert album were recorded at this show ... which gives hope that possibly ... possibly ... possibly ... (pray and beg) ... that one day we may get to hear a soundboard recording of the band doing River Song live.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:31:09 PM by TonyW » Logged
SBonilla
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 12:38:53 PM »

I'm perfectly happy with having been at these shows: San Francisco - '71, Sacramento -'73 & '74, Oakland - '74 &  '76, NYC - '12.  
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:52:35 AM by SBonilla » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 01:27:34 PM »

Any BB show in 1964 when a young Brian Wilson was on stage singing so sweetly. 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 02:18:12 PM »

Good question.

Right off the bat I'd say the 8/25/67 Lei'd In Hawaii show. It's a garbage concert at times, but to see Brian post-SMiLE, to hear the Baldwin around a slew of screaming fans. It would be a surreal experience I'm sure.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 03:03:24 PM »

1974 Nassau Coliseum. That bootleg recording gives an idea of the energy going on at the time. The sound was on point, the setlist long and contained both the classics and the new material. Only misses Blondie rocking Wild Honey to be the perfect Beach Boys show.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 04:45:36 PM »

I'm a sentimental fool right now. Would have loved to have been at that Pandora's Box show in 1962 to see Brian spill the cocoa on Marilyn.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 05:32:33 PM »

Hands down for me, Hawaii August '67, both shows.

That final Fall 2012 C50 show in the UK when Brian sang Please Let Me Wonder and hit that falsetto note at the end.

Michigan, 1966 - The Good Vibrations premiere show that Brian and Michael Vosse flew out to attend.

Carnegie Hall, 1972 - February and/or November shows.

The '74 show where Dennis sang "Help Me Rhonda".

Pick one from the Blondie/Ricky era and I'll go to that too.

Ultimately though, I'd say the chance to see the real, authentic, original Beach Boys lineup prior to Brian quitting the road in the 60's would be a priority too.

In terms of dream and fantasy shows we could see if we could time-travel, I'd be surprised to see anything with Dennis not be included for those who had never seen him play with the group.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 05:57:15 PM »

Carnegie Hall is often said as one of their best ever, I'd love to see that...One of the 1972 shows. I believe the Feb one is the one most talked about?

Call me a masochist but I'd love to see the Universal Amp show where Dennis and Mike got into a fight on stage or Dennis' last show  9/26/83 at Pomona Fair.

Maybe one of the Beachcago shows would be fun, too. I know the venues were huge stadiums but it'd be fun to see.

Also, maybe their first show, new years 1962 (?) might be kind of interesting to see how good/bad they sounded that early.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:58:37 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 08:33:58 PM »

The Chicago 1965 shows with Brian.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 09:04:52 PM »

Something from the Ricky and Blondie era ... randomly I'll go with Nassau Coliseum August 1973

http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/8-73.html

I selected this concert because it says the Cal Girls and We Got Love recordings from the wonderful In Concert album were recorded at this show ... which gives hope that possibly ... possibly ... possibly ... (pray and beg) ... that one day we may get to hear a soundboard recording of the band doing River Song live.

I’m with you TonyW. Always been my favourite live album and to see some of those songs done in the flesh would have been the icing. I got to see Ricky drumming a couple of years ago with Bonnie Raitt in a stadium and that sound from 72/73 was still there.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 03:08:20 AM »

I must confess I'm not much of a fan of anyone live, including our Boys. That said...

Looking through AGD's  "Shows & Sessions", I think I would opt for this one (with Brian in attendance) from 3 July, 1694:

Million Dollar Party, HIC International Arena, Honolulu, HI.

With Bruce & Terry, Jan & Dean, The Righteous Brothers, The Kingsmen, Freddy Cannon, Jimmy Griffin, The Rivingtons, Ray Peterson, Jody Miller, Jimmy Clanton and Peter & Gordon

The lineup gives a good cross-section of what was happening at the time (and earlier in some cases). It would be great fun to hear The Kingsmen live, post-"Louie Louie", just to see how they fared after Lynn Easton's "coup".

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2019, 06:13:00 AM »

I would have to say anything in 1964 with Brian and that voice

The show where they played with the Dead and they blew the crowd away

And anything in 1972. (I've seen all the boys live except Dennis so that's a must!)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »

Without a doubt Carneghie Hall, the February show.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2019, 12:17:14 PM »

1.  Carnegie Hall,

2.  the UN Concert, the one Marlon Brando was at in 68 or 69?,

3.   the 1969 concert in London that became an album,

4.   Not Monterrey Pop, but the festival they played at because they didn't play Monterrey Pop,

5.   the Whiskey A Go Go,

6.    the concert in Minnesota early in their careers, the one where Mike said cars were lined up for a long distance to get to where they were playing,

7.     one of the concerts with the Maharishi, the tour that was eventually cancelled,

8.     the outdoor concert in England, where Elton John was playing keyboard,

9.     an early concert in 64, with Brian fully engaged on stage,

10.    the concert in Prague during the communist era.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 12:21:01 PM »

Any show that was used for the recording of the In Concert album, which is probably my favorite album ever. 

Any of the Beachago shows. 

Honestly, I would do anything to be able to go back in time and see Carl live.  Preferably in the late 60s or early 70s but honestly, anytime, anyplace.  My biggest Beach Boys regret is that I never saw him perform. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 12:46:42 PM »

I'd love to have seen the first round of Beachago shows, otherwise I'd love to see the 1972 Georgia Tech show again.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:47:26 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 01:09:37 PM »

I was at one of the first Beachago shows at Madison Square Garden...truly amazing show; I think that was my first ever Beach Boys show! What a first!!
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 01:22:00 PM »

If I could go back in time...

1. Knebworth, England - June 20, 1980
2. Anaheim, CA - July 3, 1976 (Brian's back...)
3. L.A. County Fairgrounds, Pomona, CA - September 26, 1983 (this should be the last one with Dennis)

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »

I couldn't name too many specific shows, but there are several era I wish I could witness, especially since I've only been able to see them since 2014, so I've only seen Brian's band, Mike's band, and Dean Torrence's band. Unfortunately I'm too young to have witnessed the full group, when Carl was alive, so I have a long list.......

1. 1962 Garage Band era - I would love to see the Boys still so young, playing early hits like Surfin, Safari, 409, and all the other classic (sometimes goofy) rockers they made their own.

2. 64-65 touring "heyday" - Would be amazing to see the original core members doing what they do best. Mike entertaining the crowd, and even playing some sax. Brian playing the Fender Bass, quite proficiently I might add. Carl and Al creating a wall of guitars in a way only they could. And of course, Denny drumming away, fast as lighting. Not to mention the beautiful harmonies, which the boys could somehow produce in a venue of hysteric screaming girls; the energy  would be incredible

3. '68 era - I love this era, when Carl beefed the band on top, with everyone playing top notch. Bruce killed it on Fender Bass and keys. Carl was finally coming into his own as band leader. I love hearing how excited the group was playing All I Want To Do and Johnny B Goode. Carl was truly beginning to craft an incredible, sophisticated touring unit.

4. Blondie & Ricky era- How could you not want to witness this era? Seeing them when Bruce was still there would be even cooler. Anyway, this was Carl's band direction at its best. The group was so locked in. They rocked on the ballads, and played with the sophistication of the Wrecking Crew on the ballads. Again, everyone in top notch. Blondie and Ricky added a lot musically. And seeing Dennis up in front would be a sight to see!

5. Finally a specific show- Fourth of July 1980. I feel like I don't even need to elaborate, but if you had a good spot, imagine that show. All those people. Wow. Dennis' drumming was awesome at that show.

6. '93 Box Set tour. Enough said.

7. Now you've gotta hear me out on this one - '98-99 post-Carl 'Adrian' /Family&Friends era -   Yes, I know the BBs group wasn't playing at the musical caliber Carl had set, but I love Phil B's singing and guitar playing, and Meros was always excellent. Al's Family & Friend's band was stellar too. Would've loved to see them. Too bad their reunion didn't happen. I'm just so fascinated with this era of the band, it's really interesting to me. Breakaway and Lookin At Tomorrow would've been great to hear from Al's group. And I have to admit, I have a soft spot (based on boots) of Mike's band playing Duke of Earl.

8. BW Presents SMiLE tour - How mind blowing would that have been? To hear SMiLE (as close as possible to being) complete?? And BW was on fire during that tour.

9. C50. So sad I missed it. I wish I could've seen The core BBs reunited. Those shows were magical.

10. Recent M&B BBs shows at Royal Albert Hall - they play crazy setlists with all sorts of goodies like Surf's Up, Til I Die, All This Is That, Please Let Me Wonder, etc... Not to mention literally all the hits, and more. It's a super long show, and I'd love to see it. (Just like how I loved seeing BW's recent 2019 tour, filled with rarities)

With all that being said, I'm so thankful to have gotten to see the shows I have seen. Living legends up there right in front of me. It's a magical experience I'll be forever grateful for.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 02:42:33 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2019, 04:40:35 PM »

Wembley Stadium 1975 opening for Elton John. Just to see if their performance really was that good that particular day.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2019, 03:23:36 AM »

1- The very first show they ever played.
2- That post-Love You time frame where Brian is full-on weirdo and playing bass on the reg.
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 06:41:47 AM »

Great question, one that I have asked myself many times!

1. A '72 or '73 concert where they played River Song, I've Got a Friend, Marcella, Wild Honey, and Jumpin' Jack Flash (if they ever played all of those at the same show.).  I have always wished they had released the original version of the Concert album with Wild Honey and Jumpin Jack Flash.  Might not have sold as well, but probably would have improved their image.

2. The Australian Concert where they played What I Say, so I can finally put to rest who is singing lead.

3. One of the Beachago shows from '75.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 08:48:48 AM »

I would say early '72, when Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky were all in the band...Daryl and Toni...and Dennis sometimes playing keyboards. Just to see who played bass on which songs would be worth it! Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx