gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:02:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: false barnyard  (Read 3261 times)
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2006, 03:53:34 AM »

i was listening to the project smile stuff last night, and heard (for the first time) the vocal sessions for false barnyard.  brian telling carl what to sing etc.  the track, however, is almost all the studio chatter between takes and almost sod all of the takes themselves.  can anyone help - has false barnyard with vocals surfaced anywhere?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2006, 08:46:00 AM »

There is a version where you can kinda hear Mike singing some sunshine related lyrics...you can't really hear the words though.  That's pretty much it, though there has been a lot of speculation as to what other vocals were supposed to go on there. 
Boiled Egg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 01:57:41 AM »

yeah, i've heard that version - but this is a different set of vocals altogether.  backing vocals, very upbeat, sung by carl.  there are frustrating half- and one-second snatches of the takes, with carl's line quite audible (a great deal more audible than mike's 'sunshine' vocal) between the miles of studio chatter.

on a wider note, anybody with a half-decent collection of SMiLE (or, for that matter, Pet Sounds) bits and pieces has hours of studio chatter.  was it common practice to record every rehearsal and take and keep the lot?  (that's a shedload of tape.)  if so, why have we got the chatter, but not the takes?  (unless this is a reel of off-cuts spliced from a master and - pace, x-files fans - the takes *are* out there somewhere...)
memoryman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 07:43:20 AM »

take 5 of the false barnyard re-record from february 28 exists and is a complete take. i think it's been booted, but i can't remember where. it has carl's "doo doo doo" vocal.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 06:11:05 AM »

take 5 of the false barnyard re-record from february 28 exists and is a complete take. i think it's been booted, but i can't remember where. it has carl's "doo doo doo" vocal.

On the '93 box set, "FB" appears twice...at the end of the "H&V" alt mix, and at the end of the "H&V" sessions track.  Is it the same version of "FB", or two different ones...the vocal definitely sounds different, but to me the backing track sounds the same.

Thanks
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 01:21:14 AM »

On one version (don't know if's out there or not) Brian asks Carl to stop smoking and start singing.

Brian: "Are you gonna smoke or sing?!?!"

Carl: "I can do both!"

Brian: "Come on!"

Carl: "It's ok, Brian, really!"

Brian ever the taskmaster!

Bob F.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 04:56:18 AM »

There are at least 3 completely different versions:
1) The version found as the fade out to H&V bonus track on the Smiley Smile 2fer
2) The same version but with added Mike Love sunshine vocals (scruffy acetate)
3) Take 5. Different tracking and mix along with live "doo be doo" vocals from Carl.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 05:31:57 AM »

There are at least 3 completely different versions:
1) The version found as the fade out to H&V bonus track on the Smiley Smile 2fer
2) The same version but with added Mike Love sunshine vocals (scruffy acetate)
3) Take 5. Different tracking and mix along with live "doo be doo" vocals from Carl.

I think No. 2 and 3 I have never heard. Where can I get them?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx