gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:43:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 Hours with Mike Love  (Read 7231 times)
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2019, 12:52:08 AM »

This interview from the early 90s gives us a peek into Mike's mind at the time. He sounds bitter and jealous of his gifted cousin. But as I listen to it, I realized how much Mike has changed over the years, he certainly isn't the same man he used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljsGG3sbEL0
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »

Amen. The Mike of the early 90's was a different man than the Mike we know today. He was obviously not only bitter, but it definetely seems like he had some self-worth issues going on, hence all of the boasting, and throwing others under the bus. We always talk about mental health in relation to the Wilson brothers, but it's quite interesting to apply that same lens to Mike. Sure, he was still riding the high of Kokomo, but in this interview, I feel like I'm listening to a depressed, confused person.

The Mike of 2019 definitely has a "Cool Head and Warm Heart" compared to early 90's Mike. He seems to be more comfortable in his own skin, HIS legacy, without having to diminish others' accomplishments. Recently he was been more complimentary and far less bitter. Mike has come a long way.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 02:39:43 PM »

Everyone in that band's been on a journey (or died)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 06:47:10 PM »

Early 90's Mike was full of himself, and convinced that what would sell millions of records for the group was an album of 12 Kokomo clones.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 04:02:34 PM »

He mentions his friend Bill Johnston as the person he went surfing with. I thought it was Bill Jackson. I am starting to doubt this story.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 10:11:03 AM »

BE WARNED!! You cannot get those 2 hours with Mike Love back.  Razz

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 05:39:45 PM »

He mentions his friend Bill Johnston as the person he went surfing with. I thought it was Bill Jackson. I am starting to doubt this story.

No disrespect, but you ever believed the story in the first place? Bill Jackson sounds like one of the most made up names ever! However..."Do It Again" is great nonetheless.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 02:30:15 PM »

The story that Mike Love tells at the beginning about 'Barbara Ann' is inconsistent with the long, detailed anecdote about the song that appears in Ken Mansfield's memoir, "The White Book."

The way ML tells it, 'Party' was a throwaway album that Brian did to satisfy Capitol and exec Al Cory decided Barbara Ann should be released as a single.  The way Mansfield tells it, BW walked into his office with an acetate of Barbara Ann. Mansfield claims to have lectured Brian about how the song and production weren't up to the standard he set on Today and Summer Days.  Mansfield describes Brian staring daggers at him, silently getting up, taking the single from the turntable and walking to the door, stopping in the doorway and forcefully saying, "This IS our next single."  Mansfield then reports getting a subsequent call from Nick Grillo informing him that Brian preferred to have no further dealings with him.

joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 02:23:12 PM »

No disrespect, but you ever believed the story in the first place? Bill Jackson sounds like one of the most made up names ever! However..."Do It Again" is great nonetheless.
Well I have been searching for the truth on this for years.  I think there is even a thread somewhere on her about the search for Bill Jackson. I'll have to take my detective work up to a new level.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 11:35:16 PM »

The story that Mike Love tells at the beginning about 'Barbara Ann' is inconsistent with the long, detailed anecdote about the song that appears in Ken Mansfield's memoir, "The White Book."

The way ML tells it, 'Party' was a throwaway album that Brian did to satisfy Capitol and exec Al Cory decided Barbara Ann should be released as a single.  The way Mansfield tells it, BW walked into his office with an acetate of Barbara Ann. Mansfield claims to have lectured Brian about how the song and production weren't up to the standard he set on Today and Summer Days.  Mansfield describes Brian staring daggers at him, silently getting up, taking the single from the turntable and walking to the door, stopping in the doorway and forcefully saying, "This IS our next single."  Mansfield then reports getting a subsequent call from Nick Grillo informing him that Brian preferred to have no further dealings with him.

I always heard that Brian did the Party album to get Capitol off his back, and the guys didn't want Barbara Ann out as a single. Maybe that's just an urban legend.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 12:14:43 AM »

I always heard that Brian did the Party album to get Capitol off his back, and the guys didn't want Barbara Ann out as a single. Maybe that's just an urban legend.

Yeah, that's not the story that Ken Mansfield tells on pp 18-23 of his book:
https://books.google.com/books?id=Je7C3JHRs7UC&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&lpg=PA19&dq=%22acetate%20of%20barbara%20ann%22&pg=PA18#v=onepage&q=%22acetate%20of%20barbara%20ann%22&f=false
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 06:26:52 PM »

This interview from the early 90s gives us a peek into Mike's mind at the time. He sounds bitter and jealous of his gifted cousin. But as I listen to it, I realized how much Mike has changed over the years, he certainly isn't the same man he used to be.

I’d rather spend an eternity in hell
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 06:44:54 PM »

I’d rather spend an eternity in hell

I'm right there with you, man. The only change I see is that he doesn't parade around the stage like an asshole like he used to do thank god!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2019, 12:10:31 AM »

Amen. The Mike of the early 90's was a different man than the Mike we know today. He was obviously not only bitter, but it definetely seems like he had some self-worth issues going on, hence all of the boasting, and throwing others under the bus. We always talk about mental health in relation to the Wilson brothers, but it's quite interesting to apply that same lens to Mike. Sure, he was still riding the high of Kokomo, but in this interview, I feel like I'm listening to a depressed, confused person.

The Mike of 2019 definitely has a "Cool Head and Warm Heart" compared to early 90's Mike. He seems to be more comfortable in his own skin, HIS legacy, without having to diminish others' accomplishments. Recently he was been more complimentary and far less bitter. Mike has come a long way.

so you're saying hes 'mellowed out' quite alot, yea, ive seen him a lot recently and i get it
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2019, 12:10:49 PM »

I mean, the Mike of the early 90s is pretty much the same Mike in the mid-2000s, and even up until a year ago he was still trashing his cousin in interviews (talk about throwing people under the bus).

I will admit that Mike seems like a fairly changed person from the post-C50 temper tantrums he'd go on in the media. It seemed like every other month he was droning on about Melinda controlling Brian conspiracy theories or the fact the Wilson Brother's did hard drugs (and I 100% believe that those interviews did spark a lot of negative Mike posts here on this forum). I do think either Mike had a change of heart or his PR guy told him to lay off a bit. Which in turn has helped his image I think. I think he still has some resentment and bitterness (as the 2018 MOJO article shows) but he seems to keep it at bay and I give him a lot of credit for that.

And I think you bring up a great point Nate about Mike's mental health. Most in the fandom are pretty sympathetic/empathetic to Brian's mental health issues. But rarely does Mike get that pass...and perhaps that is because Mike is the one constantly being judgemental about his cousins and those around Brian, so you kinda assume that Mike views himself as having it all together. When perhaps Mike is so judgmental because he has a lot of mental issues he's dealing with. Anyways, just food for thought.

I'm really glad that Mike has been more chill in the media recently, and he does seem like a happier individual. I hope that trend continues.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2019, 12:18:19 PM »

I am pretty sure nick grilling had nothing to do with the BBs in 1965
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »

If Mike has mellowed, I wonder if there will be one last reunion concert.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 11:48:48 AM »

I am pretty sure nick grilling had nothing to do with the BBs in 1965

Grillo.  And Mansfield doesn't say that the Grillo call occurred in 1965.  He says it occurred "soon after," which could have been 3 months later.  "Soon after," viewed from the perspective of a memoir 4 decades later, doesn't necessarily mean the next day.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:50:54 AM by juggler » Logged
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 06:53:24 AM »

Isn't Mike planning another CD for 2020?

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2019, 01:38:00 PM »

I know who he is but was typing on a phone. I don’t believe grillo entered the picture till 1967. He was certainly employed by 1968 though.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2019, 03:10:56 PM »

I  think there were no calls from Grillo after the Friends sessions.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »

I know who he is but was typing on a phone. I don’t believe grillo entered the picture till 1967.

That's incorrect.  Multiple sources indicate that Grillo was their accountant in early 1966, when he was still at Julius Lefkowitz and Company.
See for yourself... Nick Grillo's name is on this BB/Capitol contract dated March 1, 1966:
https://lelands.com/bids/1966-beach-boys-signed-capitol-records-contract
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2019, 06:30:05 PM »

I  think there were no calls from Grillo after the Friends sessions.

I am happy I get this reference Cheesy However, is it the same Grillo as who everyone is talking about above? I think the Nick Grillo and the manager(?) Grillo were two different people. Not trying to nitpick your joke, but just want a confirmation from something I thought I read years ago on this forum (ie, Grillo from Friends and the Smile era Grillo are two different people).

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2019, 08:44:13 PM »

Nick Grillo was the manager during the post-Smile era. I have a letter from him, circa 1968.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 08:46:50 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2019, 03:42:30 AM »

Nick Grillo was the manager during the post-Smile era. I have a letter from him, circa 1968.

Thanks much. In my tiredness last night I got Parks and Grillo mixed up in my head. The part in Be Here In The Morning when they mention Parks and Grillo, I used to think they meant Van Dyke Parks, but apparently there was another Parks that the song was referring to. Anywho, sorry for the confusion.

In regards to your post, that's awesome about the letter! Do you mind sharing what it was about?

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx