gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:33:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Beach Boys" Twelve Sides of Summer?  (Read 3141 times)
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2019, 07:25:44 PM »

I got an email from the Mike Love Beach Boys website today informing me that I could purchase merchandise from the summer tour. I clicked on the link and much to my surprise  much of the merchandise  says "Beach Boys 12 Sides of Summer ".  T shirts, etc... How are they getting away with this? My understanding of the license was that it was only for touring, which is why any albums that Mike puts out are Mike Love albums and not Beach Boys albums. But how is he allowed to put out merchandise that implies that the Beach Boys recorded an album called 12 Sides of Summer?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 07:29:21 PM by marcella27 » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 09:08:29 PM »

I guess you mean this....

https://shop.thebeachboys.com/products/12-sides-of-summer-north-american-blue-t-shirt?variant=21312172228667

Exactly. Seems wrong to me.

On the plus side, I haven’t been on the merchandise page probably since the C50.....and that black cap looks awesome. Might be ordering one. Thanks for the starting the topic encouraging me to look.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 10:47:37 PM »

I saw 12 Sides of Summer merch at the Puyallup Fair show last month - including Mike's CD. The CD was $15; the t-shirts were something like $30 or $35 dollars. That's my complaint - why are people forking over so much for just a shirt, compared to owning the music? And I am not singling out Mike or the Beach Boys; it's this way at every concert now. $35 for a t-shirt that is going to wear out in a few years versus music that will be with me the rest of my life?  Huh Huh
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 06:07:48 AM »

Is it vague enough that it isn't a legal issue? Like he isn't promoting his solo album directly with this - from what I gather the Beach Boys concert tour is called "12 Sides Of Summer" (which coincidentally happens to be the name of his latest solo album). This is obviously a ploy to tie the solo album and the Beach Boys closer together - I guess to help boost the solo album sales?

They are even selling a tank top with the Mike Love solo album cover art with the Beach Boys logo on it. But it isn't specifically saying that it is an album by the Beach Boys. It's very vague.

I think it is shady. I just hope some poor sucker doesn't actually buy "12 Sides Of Summer" thinking it's the latest Beach Boys album (due to all the merchandise kinda insinuating that) and they're left thinking that the Beach Boys have really swan dived off a cliff with their music.

Do the voting members of BRI have to approve all merchandise before it gets put on sale?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 08:30:04 AM »

I guess you mean this....

https://shop.thebeachboys.com/products/12-sides-of-summer-north-american-blue-t-shirt?variant=21312172228667

Exactly. Seems wrong to me.

On the plus side, I haven’t been on the merchandise page probably since the C50.....and that black cap looks awesome. Might be ordering one. Thanks for the starting the topic encouraging me to look.

Yup.  And this:  https://shop.thebeachboys.com/collections/merch/products/12-sides-of-summer-ringer-t-shirt?variant=21313327169595

and this:  https://shop.thebeachboys.com/collections/merch/products/12-sides-of-summer-red-tank-top?variant=21313336442939

I agree that the black hat is really nice though!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 08:39:27 AM »

Is it vague enough that it isn't a legal issue? Like he isn't promoting his solo album directly with this - from what I gather the Beach Boys concert tour is called "12 Sides Of Summer" (which coincidentally happens to be the name of his latest solo album). This is obviously a ploy to tie the solo album and the Beach Boys closer together - I guess to help boost the solo album sales?

They are even selling a tank top with the Mike Love solo album cover art with the Beach Boys logo on it. But it isn't specifically saying that it is an album by the Beach Boys. It's very vague.

I think it is shady. I just hope some poor sucker doesn't actually buy "12 Sides Of Summer" thinking it's the latest Beach Boys album (due to all the merchandise kinda insinuating that) and they're left thinking that the Beach Boys have really swan dived off a cliff with their music.

Do the voting members of BRI have to approve all merchandise before it gets put on sale?

I see what you're saying in that the tour was called "12 Sides of Summer" but even that, to my mind, is shady.  Selling shirts that say "The Beach Boys" and "12 Sides of Summer" strongly implies a correlation between the band and the album.  

Maybe I will go to one of those make-your-own t-shirt places and make a shirt that says "The Beach Boys No Pier Pressure" and wear it to a Mike and Bruce show.  Just for fun.  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:40:00 AM by marcella27 » Logged
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 09:08:11 AM »

I saw 12 Sides of Summer merch at the Puyallup Fair show last month - including Mike's CD. The CD was $15; the t-shirts were something like $30 or $35 dollars. That's my complaint - why are people forking over so much for just a shirt, compared to owning the music? And I am not singling out Mike or the Beach Boys; it's this way at every concert now. $35 for a t-shirt that is going to wear out in a few years versus music that will be with me the rest of my life?  Huh Huh
I think it's around to stay, especially since most venues take a pretty large merch cut percentage. I've even heard of venues having a minimum price that shirts can be sold for.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 08:39:54 PM »

I too was thinking that labeling The BB's summer tour "12 Sides of Summer" does seem to blur the lines between Mike's solo efforts and The BBs brand. However, I don't think it has any real impact. I think most of the people who are willing to spend their hard earned money on a CD from a merch stand know what they're paying for. I mean Mike's name is in big font on the album cover. Under these circumstances, if Mike's name wasn't on the front of the CD, is where things might become an issue, as far as people getting what product is Mike's vs The BBs.... But since it's clearly a Mike Love album, just by looking at it, I don't think Mike has a malicious vendetta to trick people into buying his CD thinking it's a BBs one.

I don't see a problem with Mike advertising and selling his solo CD at Beach Boys concerts, just like how I wouldn't mind if Mick Jagger was advertising a solo CD at a Stones concert. As long as the solo CD doesn't deliberately trick people into thinking it's the band's work, I have no problem. If Postcards was on sale, clearly a solo Al CD, at the C50 merch booth, i wouldn't have a problem with that.  
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:42:53 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 08:15:21 AM »

I see what you're saying in that the tour was called "12 Sides of Summer" but even that, to my mind, is shady.  Selling shirts that say "The Beach Boys" and "12 Sides of Summer" strongly implies a correlation between the band and the album.  

Maybe I will go to one of those make-your-own t-shirt places and make a shirt that says "The Beach Boys No Pier Pressure" and wear it to a Mike and Bruce show.  Just for fun.  

LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx