gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:17:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots cover “She Knows Me Too Well,” c. 1994  (Read 5292 times)
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2019, 08:44:23 PM »

From the upcoming 25th anniversary edition Purple box set: https://youtu.be/0lKLMacU5OM
« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 08:46:24 PM by AKA » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 11:24:44 PM »

From the upcoming 25th anniversary edition Purple box set: https://youtu.be/0lKLMacU5OM

Wow. Damn that's awesome
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 04:32:34 AM »

That's now my favorite Beach Boys cover. I wish STP would have recorded a full unplugged style album.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 05:24:19 AM »

Really cool to hear!  I wish the BB had done an unplugged album in the early 90's.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 08:19:07 AM »

Man, that is so nice. They picked one of my favorite Brian songs, too. A whole album of this would really be incredible.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 09:17:35 AM »

I love it. Really sounds like it could be Dennis singing this in 1964.
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 11:38:25 AM »

That's now my favorite Beach Boys cover. I wish STP would have recorded a full unplugged style album.
Same. Scott had a gorgeous, and honestly underrated, voice, and it really shone in acoustic songs.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2019, 02:05:53 PM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/stone-temple-pilots-cover-beach-boys-894002/

As written by Andy Greene for Rolling Stone...

The most surprising song on the set is a cover of the obscure 1964 Beach Boys song “She Knows Me Too Well.” “That was recorded during the Purple sessions,” STP bassist Robert DeLeo tells Rolling Stone. “That song and ‘Pretty Penny’ were both done during a field trip we did at one of Brendan O’Brien’s friends’ houses. We recorded them in the living room of his house on a 2 inch 8-track live tape.”

The song (written by Brian Wilson and Mike Love) was the B-side to “When I Grow Up (To Be a Man)” in 1964 and appeared on The Beach Boys Today! the following year. There is no record of the band ever playing it in concert, but Robert DeLeo has loved it for years.

“Being the youngest in our family, I would listen to the 45s that were always hanging out by the record player, and the Beach Boys 45s were the first ones I listened to,” he says. “There are certain obscure Beach Boys songs that have always been some of my favorites, including ‘She Knows Me Too Well’. When I first played that one for Scott [Weiland], he really fell in love with it, so I suggested that we cover it.”
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 02:58:29 PM »

I probably should merge this with the topic I’d already done in the general music forum but will later. To add to it, this is what they did immediately after (as in, soon as they finished what we just heard)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=

Seriously underrated band indeed. Shame the general public thinks of them only as a “grunge “ band which is a label that really only fit their debut album.

Kinda like saying The Beach Boys pre Pet Sounds work is all that exists ( I managed to bring it on topic so now I don’t have to move it LOL)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 08:00:16 AM »

I'd always pegged STP as the beginning of the never ending onslaught of post-grunge (Bush, Live, Creed, Nickelback, Staind, Seether, etc.), but after hearing both this cover and an acoustic version of Plush a while back, I'm thinking maybe it's time to reevaluate their back catalog. They actually sound pretty fuckin' awesome when they turn off the distortion.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 12:07:25 PM »

Much like The Beach Boys in the early 70s their best songs were not their most popular songs (radio play wise). But in the context of their albums everything worked. Songs like And So I Know, Pretty Penny, About a Fool, Song for Sleeping, and Hello it’s late would go over very well with any fellow BB fan

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2019, 02:00:27 PM »

I'd always pegged STP as the beginning of the never ending onslaught of post-grunge (Bush, Live, Creed, Nickelback, Staind, Seether, etc.), but after hearing both this cover and an acoustic version of Plush a while back, I'm thinking maybe it's time to reevaluate their back catalog. They actually sound pretty fuckin' awesome when they turn off the distortion.

https://youtu.be/aXDRlOZ8EQY
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 02:24:20 PM »

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a real shame this wasn't released back when it was recorded.

Even if only as a B-side on a single or something.

Part of me wonders if the reasoning for that could possibly have been the ultra corny/lame image The BBs had at the time. This was the era of the Summer of Love music video, the animated bopping dolphin in the Summer in Paradise music video, Problem Child, and many other such embarrassments. This was right before the reassessment of the brand which started with the Don Was Brian documentary, and continued with the Pet Sounds Sessions release. But this was during a period when I think a lot of people thought of the band as the absolute corniest, eyeroll-worthy entity ever, if going by the assembly line of crapola the band released in spurts from say '91 - '95.

I could potentially see either some members of STP or record label execs thinking it would maybe be undesirable to be releasing a cover of a band with a then-subpar media image. Of course I could be totally wrong, maybe it was not released for some other reason, but I think it's plausible.  I can't think of a good reason why this wouldn't have been released though. Especially if Scott was superfan enough to know a deep cut like this enough to properly record it. Why sit on it?

In any event it's a bummer it wasn't released in '94, because there's zero doubt that some new BBs fans would have been made back then, who would have dug into the back catalog and deeper cuts like this.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:15:07 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2019, 06:01:42 PM »

STP weren’t critical darlings either. Also it ended being  their fans weren’t the typical grunge fan base either although as this was prior to the release of their second album that fanbase had yet to have been built yet.  I’m sure that had a huge part in it. A year later would’ve been more appropriate; as it is, a 1994 release might have been too big of a WTF at the time

Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »

Dude, STP has so much more of a diverse catalog of music than any other grunge or post-grunge band. Their first 5 albums are all incredible front to back and none of them have the same sound. Their singer is easily one of the best melody writers of the 90s, the guitarist plays chords that would make Brian Wilson proud and plays nothing but tasteful guitar solos, the bassist's influences are mostly rooted in funk music, and the drummer while understated knows exactly what to play and when to play it to make the song sound good. Their chemistry early on was second to none but as time and drug addictions did their thing, it got a little more disjointed, but they never stopped being able to write great tunes together.

A couple favorites:

Adhesive from their 3rd album: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CUrk1lrGNp8

I Got You from their 4th: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lPFvpzlobHM

Hello, It's Late from their 5th: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwS_Eu-HLZo

And while the album is less appreciated by fans, Maver off their 6th and final album with Scott Weiland: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zStN9Tj9-XY

Scott honestly had a Brian Wilson level of melody writing skills and his death has hit me harder than any other musician has in my lifetime....

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2019, 07:25:24 PM »

Forgot about this gem:

Stone Temple Pilots & Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HDPuK_tqG-Y

My favorite version of a great tune.

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2019, 07:34:53 PM »

^ ...which is also BB related Wink

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx