gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:36:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Durrie Parks 'Great Shape' H&V acetate  (Read 5455 times)
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2019, 06:53:15 AM »

OK I've just heard the snippet of the Durrie Parks 'Great Shape' section - thats on the end of CIFOTM on the 'Wake the World' compilation from last year.

To me it sounds like part of the early takes of 'part 2' i.e. 'false barnyard' while it was still kind of a jig - before they smoothed it out.  The 'smoothing' was done live on the day as they worked through it.

Can anyone else hear this..?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:41:12 AM by mike moseley » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 07:50:46 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:55:46 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 08:07:27 AM »

What do you make the chords in the IIGS snippet..?  It seems to start in G sharp and then go to C sharp - I think there's prob some passing chords in there but I'm not too hot at transcribing.

The snippet seems to loop..?

I think the actual Barnyard, False Barnyard, and IIGS all stem from these chords don't they..?  (Prob noted as C sharp and G sharp originally).  This isn't much of a clue ofc as the song is in C sharp.

EDIT:  IIGS is G sharp > D sharp m7..?  I thought it went to C sharp but it doesn't does it.?

They're a completely different chord progression, it's definitely not from the Sunshine session. Most likely contender is the H&V session at Western on December 19.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 08:41:31 AM by mike moseley » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 12:01:23 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:55:39 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 12:13:15 PM »

Yes you're right.

So presumably the IIGS and Barnyard sections were the middle 8 and fade of an early version of H&V..?

I wonder how long that version stood..?

I think Cantina and Sunshine replaced IIGS and Barnyard and the latter were moved to the new song IIGS..?

Sunshine fade is Ab7 to Db in 4/4, Great Shape is Ab7 to Ebm7 in 3/4. Some similarities, but one couldn't pass for an alternate arrangement of the other.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 01:05:48 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:55:28 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 01:59:15 PM »

I don't really like the IIGS section - I'm not surprised it was removed.  Also the Cantina is OK but not a favourite - I think the piano part is very good but its one of the few time I think Brian could have come up with a better melody.

I absolutely love Barnyard.  Its got a spooky feel despite the humorous aspects.  Ideally I'd tone down some of the animal FX a bit esp the 'moo' which is a bit too mooey.

I think Barnyard would work great as  a repeated mid 8 or chorus except for the fact that you can't really get back out of it using existing pieces - it has to go at the end.

I can see why IIGS and Cantina were quite quickly dropped.  I think the 'bicycle' rider' melody is a much stronger section although I wish he'd produced it differently for the single - I find the choruses draggy and a bit odd whereas when its in 'Worms' its very well realized.

Probably, yeah. The guy who originally heard the Durrie Parks acetates at the auction (and confirmed the new Great Shape is what he heard back then) reported that there was a partial backing track edit consisting of this Great Shape, then into an unheard version of Children Were Raised (with a harpsichord but with the 'often wise' ending), and finally into the verse backing track from the "three score and five" cue.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 07:22:03 AM »

Week the single choruses are in a minor key while the Worms  erosion is a major key.  There’s those Brian/Mike verse co-leads that are edited into the Worms Bicyclerider music - and they just don’t work.  Brian must have heard that and went for Cantina instead.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 07:37:46 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:55:17 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 09:08:03 AM »

Here's where I think it fits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_cKOJRiXE
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 10:22:49 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:58:20 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »

None of the earlier edits of H&V flow properly despite various attempts to sort the problem.

The single does flow but is oddly produced.
AaronReturn2005
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 12:24:43 PM »

Probably, yeah. The guy who originally heard the Durrie Parks acetates at the auction (and confirmed the new Great Shape is what he heard back then) reported that there was a partial backing track edit consisting of this Great Shape, then into an unheard version of Children Were Raised (with a harpsichord but with the 'often wise' ending), and finally into the verse backing track from the "three score and five" cue.

Pretty sure the "Children were raised/Three score and five" section could be vocal, not instrumental.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 12:57:06 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:54:42 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx