gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:26:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2fer Linear Notes  (Read 3915 times)
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2019, 12:34:27 AM »

On the 20/20 2fer CD, Brian writes about I Can Hear Music:

“I wanted the instrumental track of I Can Hear Music to be smooth and subliminal. I used acoustic guitars. Carl wailed on the lead.”

This is one where it’s accepted Brian was absent for, as Bruce has stated in the past.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 03:17:15 PM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2019, 04:33:52 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:56:21 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2019, 09:01:38 AM »

The two-fer liners are full of errors giving Beach Boys fans loads of incorrect factoids to throw them off of actual understanding of the history of the band. Don't know why but it seems not much fact checking was done as part of the editing process. Shabby and yes weird. I was asked to write liners for one of the late '70's two-fers and when the late Paul Atkinson of Capitol called me to offer the job I said sure as long as I can write that one of them was a mostly crap album. He laughed, said I was right, and I didn't get the job.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2019, 09:58:29 AM »

There is no doubt that a lot of it was written by David leaf or others-sometimes using info from old Brian interviews. I recall that the pet sounds book incorporated a lot of quotes from 1960s interviews I have but made it seem like they were written now. That was in the last landy years so Brian was probably not that accessible
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2019, 08:33:05 PM »

There is no doubt that a lot of it was written by David leaf or others-sometimes using info from old Brian interviews. I recall that the pet sounds book incorporated a lot of quotes from 1960s interviews I have but made it seem like they were written now. That was in the last landy years so Brian was probably not that accessible

Hmmm that’s what I always suspected with these linear notes.

Odd that they would do this. Seems like they are in the same style of Brian first “autobiography”.

Disappointing..
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 10:47:46 PM »

Odd that they would do this. Seems like they are in the same style of Brian first “autobiography”.

I kinda disagree.  I don't know the circumstances under which Brian submitted those liner-note essays (and perhaps only someone like David Leaf might be able to recall that now, 30 years later), BUT I strongly suspect that Brian himself was responsible for them in one way or another (e.g., handwritten notes, oral interviews with a Capitol intern, who knows).  Why?  Well, because if someone were faking it like a WIBN-style autobiography, they'd likely have done a better job of faking it.  Brian's liner notes are all over the map.  They're completely MIA in several of the two-fers (Today/Summer Days & Smiley/WH, off the top of my head).  On the other hand, in the Surfer Girl & SDv2 two-fer, he offers an essay on each album.  In the Surfer Girl essay, he rambles on at the end about taunting the Four Seasons in Surfers Rule, and how his competitive attitude received both positive and negative feedback.  And he's like the Jack Lalanne of music.  It's odd and kind of irrelevant information but that strangeness suggests authenticity.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 04:55:52 AM »

I was asked to write liners for one of the late '70's two-fers and when the late Paul Atkinson of Capitol called me to offer the job I said sure as long as I can write that one of them was a mostly crap album. He laughed, said I was right, and I didn't get the job.

M.I.U. ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 01:36:18 PM »

Is it "liner" notes, like an ocean liner, or a garbage can liner, or "linear" as in linear thought?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2019, 02:04:19 PM »

Is it "liner" notes, like an ocean liner, or a garbage can liner, or "linear" as in linear thought?

"Liner", as in notes that grace the inner sleeve or jacket liner of an album. The term has transferred over to the CD age, and now applies to booklet notes.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2019, 03:16:23 PM »

My bad, you’re right it’s liner.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »

The twofers came out in 1990, Brian was still under Landy's care and Wouldn't It Be Nice: My Own Story would come out soon after.  Any written word attributed to Brian from from around that time may as well be anyone.

Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 06:00:17 AM »

The two-fer liners are full of errors giving Beach Boys fans loads of incorrect factoids to throw them off of actual understanding of the history of the band. Don't know why but it seems not much fact checking was done as part of the editing process. Shabby and yes weird. I was asked to write liners for one of the late '70's two-fers and when the late Paul Atkinson of Capitol called me to offer the job I said sure as long as I can write that one of them was a mostly crap album. He laughed, said I was right, and I didn't get the job.

Paul Atkinson as in the former Zombies lead guitarist, correct?

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »

COMMENT:  As you know, I was the engineer responsible for the primary tracking sweetening of existing basic tracks as well as the vocal tracking and final mixing with Brian or Carl or Alan. Some songs were a hodge-podge collection of unfinished parts, just started parts, fragments, and experimental recordings before being edited to the final version. None of that is documented. Brian was in and out of the process. Many sessions worked on several songs, but were noted as and billed to one song. The union contracts do not tell the entire story. To make historical accounting worse, I carried the 8-track, 1-inch master multi-tracks with me while five of six Beach Boys toured in Europe and the Eastern United States. During this tour, we found some time to work on 20/20 in studios around Europe and Britain such as Paris, Rome, Berlin, and London and also at Capital Studios in NYC. None of this is documented with any accuracy.

From an engineer's point of view, it was a challenge since each studio's tape machines that had to be re-aligned to American or Hollywood standards. This takes time. Also, trying to pull a preview mix that sounded somewhat similar from one location to the next was also taxing, especially for the Boys trying to harmonize while each monitor of unfamiliar sound signature or tonality would throw the inner voice balance off, from one location to the next. What we had recorded in Los Angeles sounded way different in the European control rooms and from each country, one from another. In NYC. the control room at Capital had monitors behind an acoustic curtain so you could not see them. There was no visual reference. That was how they did it there, but was very strange to us. Alan pulled a mix on Bluebirds that sounded OK in NYC, but back in LA sounded awful and was redone.

Not every final mix was done in one location, but at several studios around Hollywood -- which never leads to a coherent sounding album.

All in all, I think 20/20 sounds dull, but some of that is Capital's fault, as they did the final mastering in a closet-sized control room, actually a walled-off end of a hallway. And I don't think it helped matters that The Beach Boys were leaving the label.
~swd
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 08:31:49 AM »

Paul Atkinson as in the former Zombies lead guitarist, correct?

Correct.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 03:17:24 PM »

COMMENT:  As you know, I was the engineer responsible for the primary tracking sweetening of existing basic tracks as well as the vocal tracking and final mixing with Brian or Carl or Alan. Some songs were a hodge-podge collection of unfinished parts, just started parts, fragments, and experimental recordings before being edited to the final version. None of that is documented. Brian was in and out of the process. Many sessions worked on several songs, but were noted as and billed to one song. The union contracts do not tell the entire story. To make historical accounting worse, I carried the 8-track, 1-inch master multi-tracks with me while five of six Beach Boys toured in Europe and the Eastern United States. During this tour, we found some time to work on 20/20 in studios around Europe and Britain such as Paris, Rome, Berlin, and London and also at Capital Studios in NYC. None of this is documented with any accuracy.

From an engineer's point of view, it was a challenge since each studio's tape machines that had to be re-aligned to American or Hollywood standards. This takes time. Also, trying to pull a preview mix that sounded somewhat similar from one location to the next was also taxing, especially for the Boys trying to harmonize while each monitor of unfamiliar sound signature or tonality would throw the inner voice balance off, from one location to the next. What we had recorded in Los Angeles sounded way different in the European control rooms and from each country, one from another. In NYC. the control room at Capital had monitors behind an acoustic curtain so you could not see them. There was no visual reference. That was how they did it there, but was very strange to us. Alan pulled a mix on Bluebirds that sounded OK in NYC, but back in LA sounded awful and was redone.

Not every final mix was done in one location, but at several studios around Hollywood -- which never leads to a coherent sounding album.

All in all, I think 20/20 sounds dull, but some of that is Capital's fault, as they did the final mastering in a closet-sized control room, actually a walled-off end of a hallway. And I don't think it helped matters that The Beach Boys were leaving the label.
~swd

Thank you for your insight of the recording of 20/20 Mr Desper.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx