gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:20:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys - Smile - Acetate Mix  (Read 21202 times)
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2019, 03:55:05 PM »

Listening to the mix again and a thought came to my mind. The parallels between this album and Brian himself are really intriguing:

Brian, in '66/'67, had this outward appearance of being cool, hip, positive guy. SMiLE cover art has this appearance of being hip, happy, and #1 (sporting a banner of a #1 hit song). Yet inwardly, Brian was going through so much turmoil, ups and downs, highs and lows. SMiLE, inwardly, is an album of beauty, love, loss, highs and lows, etc. Brian was reading philosophy and interested in health and nature, and all of this gets infused into SMiLE. And of course it's no surprise that the psyche of the artist would be mirrored in his work, but it's the next part that is really interesting: in the end both Brian and the album seemed to collapse from the pressure. And oddly enough, they both ended up being revived decades later in their own ways.

I don't want it to sound like I'm reading too much into all this, but it's just a thought that crossed my mind. Stellar work Old Master Painter! It's great to hear those puzzle-like edits of the H&V/Cabinessence material. I have always wondered what such an edit would sound like, and I could never piece such an edit together myself.

Also, I feel that you might enjoy the stereo-mix as it offers something unique editing-wise.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2019, 05:13:46 PM »

I will download that and give it a listen! Really looking forward to hearing side 2.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »

Just a friendly bump. Would appreciate any feedback regarding the stereo-mix.
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »

Hi! I listened to the stereo remix of side 1 you made. While it was interesting in some parts, especially when I was able to hear some new details, there were some wierd sound effects (i.e.Carls voice in Cabinessence almost sounds like the duophonic sound) here and there that made the listening experience so-so. The mixing was O.K. The part before Vegetables and the song itself was wonderful in stereo though

I really prefer your mono mix, it's kind of this continous listening experience of SMiLE that I really wished (and believe) SMiLE was supposed to be, but without the messy parts in the stereo part.

I have to be clear though, I still listen to the mono-mix. Quite often actually. I'm really thankful that you gave this contribution to all of us!

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2019, 08:00:48 AM »

Hi! I listened to the stereo remix of side 1 you made. While it was interesting in some parts, especially when I was able to hear some new details, there were some wierd sound effects (i.e.Carls voice in Cabinessence almost sounds like the duophonic sound) here and there that made the listening experience so-so. The mixing was O.K. The part before Vegetables and the song itself was wonderful in stereo though

I really prefer your mono mix, it's kind of this continous listening experience of SMiLE that I really wished (and believe) SMiLE was supposed to be, but without the messy parts in the stereo part.

I have to be clear though, I still listen to the mono-mix. Quite often actually. I'm really thankful that you gave this contribution to all of us!

Yeah, some of the parts were really haphazard in stereo, including Carl’s verses in “Cabin Essence”. Apparently he ADT’d his vocals, so the clarity of that effect was accented a bit messily. Glad you enjoyed the mono.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2019, 10:25:29 AM »

Hello.  There's no mention in that auction list of the different edit of H&V..?

Also it looks to me like this:

Disc 1/Side A/  1.  0:42-1:10 portion of “Cabin Essence” (20/20 version.)/ 2. “Heroes & Villains Verse (Master Take)” (with two more seconds of count-off  than box set .) 

really describes sections just next to each other for convenience rather than a true edit of a song..?  Which makes me wonder if the alt H&V is indeed a proper mix or just sections put next to each other for reference.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2019, 09:02:49 AM »

Disc 1/Side A/  1.  0:42-1:10 portion of “Cabin Essence” (20/20 version.)/ 2. “Heroes & Villains Verse (Master Take)” (with two more seconds of count-off  than box set .) 

really describes sections just next to each other for convenience rather than a true edit of a song..?  Which makes me wonder if the alt H&V is indeed a proper mix or just sections put next to each other for reference.

Yeah, I just sequenced them like that. Sort of like that time Wilson played all those various sections to his friends. The track-listing is really arbitrary due to the fragmented and confusing nature of the material. It doesn’t necessarily delve into what a true edit of “Heroes and Villains” could’ve been in 1966; hence why I called this project a ‘compilation’ more than anything else.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2019, 12:58:31 PM »

I don't think there was anything new in the Durrie Parks acetates..?  Apart from the H&V sequence..?  Although seeing the full list are we sure that wasn't just sections put next to each other for reference..?

Yeah, I just sequenced them like that. Sort of like that time Wilson played all those various sections to his friends. The track-listing is really arbitrary due to the fragmented and confusing nature of the material. It doesn’t necessarily delve into what a true edit of “Heroes and Villains” could’ve been in 1966; hence why I called this project a ‘compilation’ more than anything else.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2019, 02:14:51 PM »

I don't think there was anything new in the Durrie Parks acetates..?  Apart from the H&V sequence..?  Although seeing the full list are we sure that wasn't just sections put next to each other for reference..?

Yeah, there wasn’t anything revelatory on those acetates in regards to what Brian planned for “Heroes and Villains”, and I am sure he sequenced all those tracks like that for reference; all though he did it a bunch of times for some reason. I just sequenced them like that because that’s what Wilson did, but I cannot say he did those things to plan out how “Heroes and Villains” was going to sound as product. I merely a presentation of things Wilson executed, and sometimes extrapolated what he intended for things like “The Elements” where there wasn’t much execution. No one truly knows what Wilson had in mind, because Wilson himself wasn’t certain and kept changing ideas until he scrapped the album altogether to focus on a single that also kept incessantly evolving to the point of frustration and the decay of the project.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx