gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:46:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weirdest Summer in Paradise bar of soap / coupon tie-in ever (from 1993)  (Read 3206 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2019, 02:41:36 PM »

Just discovered this old Summer in Paradise ad (from August 1993) for a "Tone" brand Cocoa Butter/soap bar (by the Dial soap company), which was bundled in a photo with a CD of "Summer in Paradise".

I'm guessing this was when there were loads of unsold copies of SIP sitting around in a warehouse, and someone got the bright (?) idea to tie in purchasing the "Tone" bar with a copy of SIP. I'm just trying to picture the photographer who was tasked with capturing this bizarre pairing on film. SO WEIRD.

Also, it's on the same page as a Tilex Soap Scum Removal ad. Not the greatest single-page printed association for America's Band  LOL This was apparently in nationwide papers all around the country in dozens of newspapers.

If one reads the fine print of the actual clippable coupons at right, it gets weirder:

Instructions for: "If there is no Musicland or Sam Goody within 60 miles of your home zip code, but you would like to receive a refund check:", followed by a physical address for "Tone Offer" at a PO Box. I wonder if a single, solitary person actually purchased 2 Tone bars, then found no copies of SIP within 60 miles... and then took the final step of sending in UPC codes for a $3 check.

I know the elusive free Party! album bag of chips is pretty strange, but this really takes the cake for the weirdest BBs tie-in ever. Thinking about Summer of Love while washing the ol' twig and berries. Although maybe someone has another even weirder tie-in to share. With this band, one never knows if something even more weird is lurking around the corner.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:50:31 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »

LOL  Yikes.

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 07:39:45 PM »

Maybe they knew you would need a shower after listening!!!

I kid! I like SIP
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 01:22:41 AM »

I'd be interested to know how widely distributed this coupon was, and how many people used it!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 01:10:03 PM »

I remember seeing the guys on ABC In Concert, summer of 1993, promoting both the box set and SIP. They showed a 1-800 number where you could order the box, and as a bonus, you would get a free copy of SIP.
Yes, they were stuck with loads of copies of this turkey, and tried to do all they could to unload them.
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 04:58:27 PM »

I’d rather have permanent soap scum than own SIP.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 05:01:37 PM »

LOL

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »

Hug Hello Thumbs Up Thumbs Up w00t! w00t! w00t! Kiss Bow Happy Dance Angry Rock! High Five Pirate

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 02:35:04 PM »

This old SIP poster just came up for sale.

Some oddball promo taglines and marketing angles for the album I've not seen before.

And maybe the only usage of the word "Cassingle" in a promo poster for this band?

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx