gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:52:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Time!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 2951 times)
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2019, 12:19:19 AM »

"The Beach Boys" at the fair----> 13 days later: Brian Wilson + Al Jardine + Blondie et al--- IS BILLY HINCHE WITH THEM STILL?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 12:21:10 AM by chewy » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »

Billy was filling in for Darian off-and-on in 2016, but currently it's Darian and Gary on keyboards/vibes/glockenspiel.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 10:26:46 PM »

"The Beach Boys" at the fair----> 13 days later: Brian Wilson + Al Jardine + Blondie et al--- IS BILLY HINCHE WITH THEM STILL?
I was at the show tonight. First time I've seen the Beach Boys since Carl's death. Yeah, it took me a long, long time to get used to the idea of other guys singing/playing those parts. Even when I saw Brian and his band back in 2000, I missed the other Beach Boys being there, since they were essentially doing a Beach Boys show, with only 3 of Brian's solo songs.
Tonight, though, was a very good show. I still don't know the names of all the new guys. The guy up front playing keyboard and singing the high parts was very impressive. "Don't Worry Baby" gave me goosebumps! Christian Love did very well on the 3 or so songs he was featured on. Scott Totten plays Carl's old solos perfectly. With all that talent up front, it's easy to overlook the rock solid drumming of John Cowsill, and l thought the lead keyboard player was also very good.
It's amazing how many hits the Beach Boys had. It was a nearly 2 hour show, and almost every song was a hit. Not many groups could do a show like that. I liked that they also did a few songs from Mike's recent albums. I especially liked the transition from God Only Knows to Pisces Brothers. I didn't see anyone walking our or running to the beer line during those songs. Bruce sounded good singing the middle part of Surfer Girl, and the lead on Do You Wanna Dance.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:23:55 AM »

WE SHREDDED IT MY GUY!!!!!!!!!!!    BRO IT WAS A ***STRONG**** SHOW--- ESP TOWARDS THE **END**!!!  

They turned up for R&R Music- and that volume increase came w/ an increase in how well that played and sang it, it was just spot freaking on.  If you had asked me before the show, hey chewy do you thick R&R music is gonna take the cake tonight?? I'd tell you thats impossible.....but here we are now-- that part combined w/ Rockaway Beach was very strong.  That song worked well live. Also this part of the set had Summertime Blues-- also quite strong

New band tonight- I dont know what happened to Foskett, is he doing good though, i heard maybe he was not at some point here on this board???  i hope hes good but hes not in the band.  Christian is in, he has been in and out before if i am not mistaken, he looked wayyy better than i expected him to at this point, i thought hed be more of a grissly surfer type but he looks good- he covered some important carl parts.  scott totten lead gtr and cowsill have been in mikes beach boys for a long while maybe the whole time ((Huh)))  and i dont know the bass player although i liked some of his parts and heard him good a lot of times.  

oh and i have no idea who the new keyboard guy is who does the falcettos.  very young kid.  i mean im not he one to analyze all the falsetto brian replacements but i guess he wasnt as good as foskett but better than adrian baker (?)

ive never heard ITS OK live before, so that was good, its the "2018 version" as says on setlist, it is a slightly differerent arrangement

AND WHATS  UP W/ THE NEW LYRICS ON GETCHA BACK----  I MEAN THEY DONT DO THE MUPPETS VERSION OF KOKOMO....MIKE SAYS TROPICAL CONTACT HIGH............SO WHY DID HE CHANGE THE 1ST VERSE-- YOU KNOW.......had you in my car, you cried all night cause we gone too far--- he took that completely out.  I mean i get it, but i mean it was that way for 30 years, so i dont knw-  

At this point SURFIN USA is basically like the real national anthem.  I was in the front completely freaking out, I mean this isn't a Kingston Trio concert or the Harmonicats, this is SURFIN FREAKING U-S-A.....i had hands in air going wild- Mike dug how into it I was- I mean come on, this even predates Satisfation.  Its bastically like the ultimate R&R song ever.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:09:23 AM by chewy » Logged
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 12:31:19 AM »

Bruce's solo feature was "Do you wanna Dance", in tribute to Dennis. We didnt get "Disney Girls"--   I would of liked to hear "Endless Harmony", oh god
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 12:32:23 AM by chewy » Logged
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 12:32:55 AM »

Cowstill is really fantastic, I have to note.  He really is the glue of that band
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 10:19:48 AM »

Glad someone else shares my enthusiasm for this band. Mike said they would be back next year - I hope so! I also have to note that this was the only fair concert I was interested in this year - $30 for grandstand seats, $45 for infield. Some of the other shows are up there in the $60-80 range...WTF is up with concert ticket prices these days? I saw that one of my favorite cult bands, Squeeze, is headed up this way, and the cheap seats are $100! Sorry, but I will pass. I need to eat more than I need to go to a concert.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx