gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:13:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lana Del Rey's new single contains a BB reference  (Read 7057 times)
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« on: August 27, 2019, 02:25:13 AM »

Lana Del Rey's new single contains a BB reference:

I miss Long Beach and I miss you, babe
I miss dancing with you the most of all
I miss the bar where the Beach Boys would go
Dennis's last stop before Kokomo

https://youtu.be/LrSX_OcpeJg?t=255

I guess she misses Chez Jay? Dunno.

Also: at 7:39 you can see "Pacific Ocean Blue" in the jukebox.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 02:29:18 AM by STE » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 04:01:37 AM »

Pretty cool! I remember visiting Chez Jay a few years ago love that place.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:24:20 AM »

Lana Del Rey's new single contains a BB reference:

I miss Long Beach and I miss you, babe
I miss dancing with you the most of all
I miss the bar where the Beach Boys would go
Dennis's last stop before Kokomo

https://youtu.be/LrSX_OcpeJg?t=255

I guess she misses Chez Jay? Dunno.

Also: at 7:39 you can see "Pacific Ocean Blue" in the jukebox.

Amazing.

Also really bizarre alternate universe type stuff to tie in any Denny reference to Kokomo, since those two eras seem so far apart, yet are really just 5 years apart in reality.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 03:48:41 PM »

Apparently she lives in venice, so i wouldn't be suprised at all if a friend was like "hey this bar chez jay's is just down the street, its where dennis wilson went before he died, you wanna check it out?" and thats how she get into it...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 08:49:59 PM »

As if I needed another reason to love Lana

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 02:38:01 AM »

Yes, new reason to hate Lana. Cheesy Tries to be next Nico but instead stays inferior by miles.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 02:50:02 AM »

Why would Dennis be going to Kokomo? awful...

Is there a jukebox in Chez Jays and is POB on it?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 02:52:20 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 05:56:39 AM »

FWIW, Chez Jay's is in Santa Monica, not Venice. I agree it's a cool place and has good food.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 06:44:34 AM »

I don't know anything about this song. But it's *possible* the lyric was not written in ignorance as to the fact that Dennis died several years before "Kokomo." It may just be a general linking of two pieces of imagery/iconography related to the Beach Boys.

I'd say the weirder element of the juxtaposition is how diametrically opposed the two things are in band history/lore. The two things are tied together by being related to the Beach Boys, so if there was a poignant post-Dennis BB track that one could still link with some poignant Dennis imagery or motifs, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I'd even go so far to say that, had Dennis been alive, he may have been at least as "on board" with "Kokomo" as Carl was. But, having said that, in the band's history, the two things mean very different things and evoke very different things in fans and students of the band. It's undeniably an awkward link. There's no exact comparison, but think of someone evoking Peter Green and "Tusk" together, or talking about the original Jefferson Airplane and how they "built this city on rock and roll", or something like that. Or heck, like talking about Mike Love's "love and mercy" or something.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 07:19:21 AM »

I think you guys are being a bit literal. I think she's using "Kokomo" to mean "heaven"... i.e. the Long Beach bar was the last place Dennis spent time here on earth before he left us. That's a lot more poetic (and with Dennis in mind, IMO some of those shots of her twirling on the speedboat at night take on a haunting resonance).

She was intended to work with Brian on No Pier Pressure, and the song is sprinkled with BBs/Dennis references, so I would think she is not wholly unfamiliar with the broad strokes of their history.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 07:56:58 AM »

I think you guys are being a bit literal. I think she's using "Kokomo" to mean "heaven"... i.e. the Long Beach bar was the last place Dennis spent time here on earth before he left us. That's a lot more poetic (and with Dennis in mind, IMO some of those shots of her twirling on the speedboat at night take on a haunting resonance).

She was intended to work with Brian on No Pier Pressure, and the song is sprinkled with BBs/Dennis references, so I would think she is not wholly unfamiliar with the broad strokes of their history.

I think it has to be relatively figurative; "Kokomo" (as presented in the song) isn't a real place. I would imagine it is meant to mean some sort of heaven/paradise/idealized place. But what *that* song means to the band's history and fandom dictates it's still an odd piece of imagery to use, however poetic it may seem on some levels.

While I too mentioned above it's quite possible if not probably that Del Rey is aware Dennis died before "Kokomo" came out, I also wouldn't be surprised if she's *not* as familiar with how "Kokomo" is an arguably divisive song to evoke. It's not fondly remembered by music critics particularly. It's one of the focal points of the band's 80s cheese image. It's also well known as a song Mike relentlessly brings up in interviews, and he speaks of the song as it if stands toe-to-toe with the band's best work.

I'm not deriding the song; I think "Kokomo" is catchy and I don't have a beef with it. I can properly contextualize it in any needed fashion.

I dunno, maybe it's a bit like referencing Terry Kath in a song and then mentioning "You're the Inspiration?"

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 10:18:36 PM »

Is there a jukebox in Chez Jays and is POB on it?

No jukebox in Chez Jay.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 12:15:58 PM »

Yes, new reason to hate Lana. Cheesy Tries to be next Nico but instead stays inferior by miles.

LOL

She has a bit of Nico going on but I appreciate her for that old school 60s vibe she's bringing back.

Much better than most of the female singers out at the moment

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 10:23:37 PM »

I took it the same way you did

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 12:34:29 PM »

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 12:59:33 PM »

^  Good catch!

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2019, 05:29:46 AM »

Rich girl from the wealthy tourist enclave of Lake Placid, NY who used daddy's NYC connections to get a record deal...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 07:37:14 AM »

Rich girl from the wealthy tourist enclave of Lake Placid, NY who used daddy's NYC connections to get a record deal...
So hard to respect any artist who used daddy's connections to get a record deal, oh wait...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »

I'm not as diplomatic as Jon...

But I have to ask, who the f*** cares? If people like her music and her voice, and count me as one, seriously who the f*** cares where she came from?

If weighing an artist's upbringing and background is relevant to opinions on the art they create, and anyone with "connections" in the biz or wealth in their family gets points in the negative column for those reasons, you can take roughly 8 (or 9) out of every 10 albums you own and dismiss them outright.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx