gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680821 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:11:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adult Child  (Read 25626 times)
SurferGirl7
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2006, 06:17:27 PM »

The two things I really like on A/C is the alt. versions of Shortien' Bread and Hey Little Tomboy. The dialogue is a bit creepy but it makes it funny. Then Shortien' Bread has the crazy organ going on in the alt. WAY better then the LA Light version.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2006, 07:11:30 PM »

God, Im missing out on a lot of Beach Boys stuff... Sad

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2006, 07:59:16 PM »

Who would've thought that ADULT CHILD would be the last music that Brian Wilson would produce for/with the Beach Boys? Not me. And that was almost 30 years ago...
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2006, 03:09:54 AM »

hey I'm totally new on this board (lurking for ages) and I recently discovered Adult Child.
It's over now and Still I dream of it are one of his best songs, and overall I think this could have been a great beach boys album (the last great I mean)
The lyrics aren't irritating on this record like on most post-SMilE, they are too weird for that, so is live is for the living, normally I hate those big band songs, but on a disc with Still I dream of it and Shortin'Bread it's so misplaced that I like it.

I guess it was rejected because it wasn't 'happy'enough and the tracklisting doesn't flow?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2006, 04:21:50 AM »

It's a quirky mess of a record.  Was BW's original intention to do a whole album of big band style stuff?  I quite like these except for the vocals on Deep Purple.  Shortenin Bread's far better here than on LA and I kinda like On Broadway - the only decent oldie from that period not on 15 Big Ones and better than most of them.  Pity about a lot of that filler stuff that had been lying around for a while...  As for Hey Little Tomboy... Well, no thanks.  Maybe he would've got away with it on Love You, but not here.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 09:51:45 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2006, 05:13:42 AM »

Who would've thought that ADULT CHILD would be the last music that Brian Wilson would produce for/with the Beach Boys? Not me. And that was almost 30 years ago...

It wasn't.  He managed to get two tracks done in 1995.  And they were as good as you could have hoped for from the band.  Of course, that means that they couldn't manage to finish the album.
Toby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2006, 08:04:53 AM »

It wasn't.  He managed to get two tracks done in 1995.  And they were as good as you could have hoped for from the band.  Of course, that means that they couldn't manage to finish the album.

I would also say that "It's Just A Matter of Time" is up there as one of the last great BB songs.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2006, 01:31:01 PM »

As soon as I pressed the post button, I knew I should've been more specific and not just used the word "music". I also knew it was just a matter of time (no pun intended) until somebody would call me on it. Which they did!

What I meant to say was "album" - released or unreleased - or at the very least what could be considered a "project". And, yes, I am aware of Brian's producer credit on Stars And Stripes, but we don't really count that now do we?

OK, Jeff, I  THOUGHT about the 1995 sessions. But I had some serious questions about those 2 songs. First of all, I thought the sessions were too brief to be considered a project. Do you know how long they were in the studio? A day or two (I don't know, that's why I'm asking), and second, although Brian was there and contributing, was he actually producing the sessions, or was it a group production effort? Was it ever officially announced or understood that Brian was the sole producer of the then "new" album? I look forward to your information on these sessions.
Jason
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2006, 01:33:06 PM »

Don Was produced those tracks.
Toby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2006, 01:58:10 PM »

"OK, Jeff, I  THOUGHT about the 1995 sessions. But I had some serious questions about those 2 songs. First of all, I thought the sessions were too brief to be considered a project. Do you know how long they were in the studio? A day or two (I don't know, that's why I'm asking),"

Basically, yes, because there were only vocals done for three of the songs. Brian and Andy Paley, of course spent many a session on all the other backing tracks.

"and second, although Brian was there and contributing, was he actually producing the sessions, or was it a group production effort?"

In terms of the Beach Boys, Brian definitely was in charge. It was NOT a group effort, and that's perhaps one of the reasons why Carl, of all people, pulled the plug on the project. It's often been said that he thought the new material wasn't good enough, but I don't believe he that was the real problem, as Carl had previously taken part of two BB albums which obviously are a piece of crap compared to Brian's new Paley material. Don Was helped out with a few tracks and the others were produced by Brian and Andy, with no particular input from the rest of the band.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2006, 03:06:45 PM »

Don Was produced those tracks.

So they say.  But I have heard Don Was productions elsewhere, including his Brian movie and soundtrack, and those songs do NOT sound like him in control.  My understanding was that Was was like a referee between Brian and the others, trying to heal and mediate old wounds, and that he wasn't calling all the shots.

Anyway, they certainly were Brian's artistic vision, and a far cry better than anything else the BB had done in almost 20 years.  And they killed the project only to do Stars and Stripes.  What is wrong with THAT picture...?
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2006, 03:08:18 PM »

In terms of the Beach Boys, Brian definitely was in charge. It was NOT a group effort, and that's perhaps one of the reasons why Carl, of all people, pulled the plug on the project. It's often been said that he thought the new material wasn't good enough, but I don't believe he that was the real problem, as Carl had previously taken part of two BB albums which obviously are a piece of crap compared to Brian's new Paley material. Don Was helped out with a few tracks and the others were produced by Brian and Andy, with no particular input from the rest of the band.

My understanding (and I think this is from AGD) is that Carl was opposed to recording Baywatch Nights for the Baywatch soundtrack.  He thought it was inferior.  Ironic that Mike was apparently fully supportive to the project as a whole.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2006, 03:09:45 PM »

Keep in mind, everyone, that "producer" doesn't always mean the same thing. With some bands, a producer is basically arranging, possibly performing, selecting songs, and making suggestions for engineers -- really getting into it. Other times, it's some other combination of those, more of some, less of others. Or even just being there to make sure it all happens. Nik Venet was a producer for the Beach Boys, but most people agree that Brian produced at least some of those sessions.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2006, 07:30:30 PM »

Anyway, they certainly were Brian's artistic vision, and a far cry better than anything else the BB had done in almost 20 years.

I've heard that "Soul Searching" was Paley's vision of a bland soul vamp. Come on, it's a fine little song but I think I even like "Goin' On" better than SS. Now "Still A Mystery" was much better.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2006, 07:33:02 PM »

Anyway, they certainly were Brian's artistic vision, and a far cry better than anything else the BB had done in almost 20 years.

I've heard that "Soul Searching" was Paley's vision of a bland soul vamp. Come on, it's a fine little song but I think I even like "Goin' On" better than SS. Now "Still A Mystery" was much better.

Have you heard Solomon Burke's cover of SS? There it becomes quite a great soul vamp.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2006, 08:16:19 PM »

Disagree about Soul Searchin', though I agree it isn't their greatest.  But I will argue again and again that YSAM is the BEST BB track post-Sail On Sailor without apology.  If they had done an album in full with songs like that and arrangements like that, I think that they could have pulled an Eric Clapton/Santana comeback.  But such was not to be I guess.  Now I can only hope it gets some form of official release.

Luther, I will get back with you this weekend when I have time to look some stuff up. (from the PM, for those confused by this statement).
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2006, 09:17:24 AM »

Everybody Wants to Live is one of my favorite Beach Boys songs.  I love the lyrics and the chorus is wonderful.  The synth bass is reminiscent of the best work on Love You.

All in all, "Adult/Child" would have been a great release in my opinion, a flop of course, but definetely better than MIU and LA.

It's Tryin to Say, Everybody Wants to Live, Lines, and of course It's Over Now, and Still I Dream of It are all wonderful.
Evenreven
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2006, 09:24:43 AM »

Baseball's ON!!!!
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2006, 09:28:18 AM »

Baseball's ON!!!!

Even, if you had any idea how much we love our Baseball in Boston...you would not TEASE! Grin
Evenreven
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2006, 09:32:47 AM »

Haha, maybe not. I'm probably in a minefield I know nothing about.
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2006, 09:35:48 AM »

Haha, maybe not. I'm probably in a minefield I know nothing about.

Yep.  We have baseball, and beloved players with great names like Dizzy Dean and The Big Hurt.

You guys have AHA with great names like "Pal" and smoked fish. Tongue
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2006, 09:40:17 AM »

And you get people like Jimmy Fallon to represent you in movies about your passion.  Bet you loved that.
Evenreven
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2006, 09:40:47 AM »

Hahaha
FYI, It's pronounced "paul" and a-ha rock.

And, what's wrong with smoked fish anyway? You can even combine it with kiwi fruit. Who can beat that?
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2006, 09:41:57 AM »

And you get people like Jimmy Fallon to represent you in movies about your passion.  Bet you loved that.

surrogate touche for Even!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2006, 09:12:50 PM »

Speaking of A-ha...remember when "Take on Me" was butchered in Corky Romano?

Who was in that? Jimmy Fallon.

Huh

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx