gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:17:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: An Autobiography by Don Goldberg  (Read 9081 times)
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2019, 04:29:57 PM »

I highly recommend the book for those who haven't read yet; it's a short but fascinating look into a strange part of the Beach Boys' career. Here's an interesting picture - a signed copy of Smiley Smile that Brian gave to Don.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2019, 08:06:02 AM »

Posted this on the other board, also wanted to post my thoughts on the book here.

So I bought the book a few days ago and received it earlier. It's a nice addition to a big time Beach Boys fan's library. At least in my case it really helped to get a feeling for the personalities of the guys, particularly Brian and Bruce, with a bit of material on Carl and Mike.

For example, I think Mr. Goldberg really kinda helped paint the picture of Brian as the generally kinda amiably odd guy we all dig. Just with the way Goldberg would describe certain physical movements Brian would make or certain comments Brian made, it tracks with a lot of what we've heard over the years. It also to me showed that Brian, despite all his humbleness, definitely knows he is a big deal, despite sometimes being shocked at stuff like standing ovations. For instance, it was interesting to read Goldberg describing Brian's discussion of how certain people had said "Good Vibrations" was the greatest song ever or something. I can't remember exactly, but it was Brian sounding quite a bit more secure than we sometimes feel. But at the same time, that leads me to how Brian could seem very up and down. And while obviously that is true of any human being, you could see in this book that Brian was already deep into his battle with his issues, sleeping all day, staying out all night, etc.

Bruce on the other hand also really got a bit of a decent description from Goldberg. And he kinda comes across as a cocky, seemingly insecure son-of-a-bitch. Really kinda coming across as very "Hollywood", feeling like he's a hot sh*t music scene big shot, seemingly always talking down to Goldberg for whatever reason. Condescendingly, if I remember correctly, he would tell Goldberg he should feel lucky to hang with Brian, and that you had to a be really good guitarist to learn "Disney Girls", not to mention what Bruce did with the "Out in the Country" master tape. Overall it just seems like Bruce gets threatened by people in the inner circle who might steal his thunder. Witness how bitchy he's been to Dave Marks all the way from the early '70s all the way through to nearly the turn of the millennium. Then you have Bruce dismissing Blondie and Ricky as sidemen. It's just interesting that of all of The Beach Boys, Bruce often seems to be a huge ass-kisser to the group's perceived leaders (Brian and Mike) while being not so wonderful to others who could or did fill his spot in the group. Goldberg has an interesting rationale for why Bruce might act like this, which I'd never thought off, and does make a bit of sense.

Carl comes across, as usual, as a generally nice guy, seemingly always friendly and willing to help. Mike comes across as a professional, who kept his promise to Goldberg to do a lead vocal for his tune.

Overall an interesting book that I'm sure I'll pick and thumb through it again, to see if I missed any other interesting stories.
raretomcat
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2019, 08:35:46 PM »

Nice to have some fresh stories. Thanks for sharing your experiences Don Goldberg!! Fits in great in my beach boys collection!!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 01:18:57 PM »

Thanks to reviews. I shan't buy it but looks like interesting read. I liked Goldberg's song about New Year's eve due mainly to its retro-esque mood.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx