gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:17:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Woodstock 50th - Full audio as it happened, listen (free) on the radio here...  (Read 3269 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:01:26 AM »

Rhino issued a 38 CD box set of all existing audio from Woodstock as it happened, as audio verite as it gets presented in chronological sequence...details here - https://www.rhino.com/woodstock50...unfortunately it has already sold out and is unavailable.

HOWEVER:

My favorite radio station WXPN in Philly is broadcasting the audio from the new set "as it happened" starting tonight at 5:07PM EST, and anyone can listen to their stream to hear it. There will also be interviews with the set's producer on their website and other features. It may be a surprise to hear because both the film and the soundtrack releases offered a version of the concert which was not accurate in terms of sequence, chronology, etc and obviously left out the majority of what actually happened. This new set fills in those gaps.

So anyone with even a passing interest in hearing how the bands who played truly sounded that weekend in 1969, along with the bands who were not featured on subsequent releases and a lot of newly found and never-heard audio, go to the WXPN website and give it a listen. The full schedule is listed there.

Link: https://thekey.xpn.org/2019/08/14/xpnstock-schedule/

Enjoy.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 10:01:56 AM »

Schedule (all listed times are in EST)

Thursday, August 15
5:07 p.m. — Richie Havens
7:10 p.m. — Swami Satchidanadna
7:30 p.m. — Sweetwater
8:30 p.m. — Bert Sommer
9:20 p.m. — Tim Hardin
10:20 p.m. — Ravi Shankar
(Echoes is airing at 2AM on Friday)
11:20 p.m. — Melanie
11:55 p.m. — Arlo Guthrie

Friday, August 16
12:55 a.m. — Joan Baez
12:30 p.m. — Quill
1:20 p.m. — Country Joe McDonald
2 p.m. — Santana
3:30 p.m. — John B. Sebastian
(portions of Funky Friday will be preempted
4:45 p.m. — The Keef Hartley Band
6 p.m. — The Incredible String Band
7:30 p.m. — Canned Heat
9 p.m. — Mountain
10:30 p.m. — Grateful Dead
(The Indie Rock Hit Parade is preempted)

Saturday, August 17
12:30 a.m. — Creedence Clearwater Revival
2 a.m. — Janis Joplin
3:30 a.m. — Sly & The Family Stone
5 a.m. — The Who
(Portions of Sleepy Hollow with Chuck Elliot will be preempted)
8 a.m. — Jefferson Airplane
(Please note: David Dye will host a special 1969 XPN 5050 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m)
2 p.m. — Joe Cocker
(The Geator’s Rock and Roll Rhythm & Blues Express is preempted)
6:30 p.m. — Country Joe & The Fish
(Portions of The Blues Show with Jonny Meister will be preempted)
8:15 p.m. — Ten Years After
10 p.m. — The Band

Sunday, August 18
12 a.m. — Johnny Winter
(Star’s End with Chuck Van Zyl is preempted)
1:30 a.m. — Blood, Sweat & Tears
3 a.m. — Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
(Portions of Sleepy Hollow with Keith Kelleher and Julian Booker will be preempted)
6 a.m. — The Butterfield Blues Band
7:30 a.m. — Sha Na Na
9 a.m. — Jimi Hendrix

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 11:27:12 AM »

Did they all play those showtimes back in the day or is it just scheduled that way?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »

Did they all play those showtimes back in the day or is it just scheduled that way?

Far as I know they are trying to stay on the original timeline as best as they can with the tapes they have, so those are at least close to the original times. I think.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 06:52:54 PM »

It's a cool listen from what I've been able to hear so far - Tim Hardin's set is on now. Check it out if you can, a lot of this stuff hasn't been heard and the full set is completely sold out so you can't order it.

SBN (South Bay Native)
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 10:09:17 PM »

Here's a a link to what seems to be the official, original playlist and order: https://www.woodstock.com/lineup/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 10:32:58 PM »

There are two songs from the Jimi Hendrix set that aren't on the 38 disc set or any of the other ones. The tapes do exist, and the Hendrix fan community is quite unhappy, to put it nicely. I don't blame them.  Grin I'd give anything to have that 38 disc version.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 10:12:59 AM »

There are two songs from the Jimi Hendrix set that aren't on the 38 disc set or any of the other ones. The tapes do exist, and the Hendrix fan community is quite unhappy, to put it nicely. I don't blame them.  Grin I'd give anything to have that 38 disc version.

Yes, the two tracks where Larry Lee sings lead. The Hendrix estate blocked them and has blocked them before. Something to do with them paying the Lee estate royalties? Anyway it's not the fault of the set's producers that the two tracks are omitted, for the record.

Is *anyone* listening to this?  Huh

The most pleasant surprise I heard was the set by Bert Sommer...the singer/songwriter who refused his manager's request to open the show, which led to Richie Havens opening the show and playing for hours lol.

But the legend is that Sommer was actually very, very good yet got left off most official releases and even the commemorative plaque at the festival site...and yes, the "great unknown" hype was justified IMO, because his version of S&G's "America" was stunning, and the standing ovation he received for it was well-deserved.

Just listened to the set by "Quill". Santana's career-making set is coming up at 2PM EST if anyone is interested.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:15:27 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 11:06:06 AM »

There are two songs from the Jimi Hendrix set that aren't on the 38 disc set or any of the other ones. The tapes do exist, and the Hendrix fan community is quite unhappy, to put it nicely. I don't blame them.  Grin I'd give anything to have that 38 disc version.

Yes, the two tracks where Larry Lee sings lead. The Hendrix estate blocked them and has blocked them before. Something to do with them paying the Lee estate royalties? Anyway it's not the fault of the set's producers that the two tracks are omitted, for the record.

Is *anyone* listening to this?  Huh

The most pleasant surprise I heard was the set by Bert Sommer...the singer/songwriter who refused his manager's request to open the show, which led to Richie Havens opening the show and playing for hours lol.

But the legend is that Sommer was actually very, very good yet got left off most official releases and even the commemorative plaque at the festival site...and yes, the "great unknown" hype was justified IMO, because his version of S&G's "America" was stunning, and the standing ovation he received for it was well-deserved.

Just listened to the set by "Quill". Santana's career-making set is coming up at 2PM EST if anyone is interested.
The "official" explanation from the Hendrix estate is that Larry Lee's guitar is out of tune. I suspect that maybe the real issue is that Larry played a Gibson, while Jimi played a Fender, and the two tones just clashed. Not only did Larry play and sing those two songs, but he was also given a guitar solo in "Red House", "Voodoo Child(Slight Return)" and " Jam Back At The House". I'm curios if any of the new CD set's have those solos intact.

I'm listening to it!  Grin I really  enjoyed Quill's set. This is actually the first time I've heard anything at all by them.

Bert Sommer was a damn good singer and songwriter. He is very underrated.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 10:55:09 AM »

One thing that I can't understand is how did they manage to get the legal clearance to release the performances of every single artist and band? It just have been a nightmare to work out, especially since many of the artists are no longer living.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx