gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:17:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Three new albums in as many years - more reissues to follow?  (Read 12631 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »

Mike Love. Three new albums in as many years. Mike is 78 now. Time is running out, and it seems as if he wants to get these last statements out before he retires. I bought "Unleash the Love" and I liked it. Won't be playing disc two much, but I am glad to know it's there. And the Christmas album - Mike knows how to do Christmas. The latest, "12 Sides of Summer", I might sit that one out. Read nothing but bad reviews of it. Could it be worse than even "Summer in Paradise"?

Which leads us to the next question, if Mike can get these new albums out, do you think there's an outside chance we might get reissues of the older solo stuff? "Looking Back With Love", "Mike Love Not War", and the Celebration stuff?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:46:57 PM by GoogaMooga » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 08:34:23 PM »

Mike Love. Three new albums in as many years. Mike is 78 now. Time is running out, and it seems as if he wants to get these last statements out before he retires. I bought "Unleash the Love" and I liked it. Won't be playing disc two much, but I am glad to know it's there. And the Christmas album - Mike knows how to do Christmas. The latest, "12 Sides of Summer", I might sit that one out. Read nothing but bad reviews of it. Could it be worse than even "Summer in Paradise"?

Which leads us to the next question, if Mike can get these new albums out, do you think there's an outside chance we might get reissues of the older solo stuff? "Looking Back With Love", "Mike Love Not War", and the Celebration stuff?

Face it man, SIP is the Mike Love solo standard. 12 Sides of Summer is the most hollow of them all and they're all pathetically in the same vein. Why would anyone think that something good could be crafted by someone as untalented as he is??? The only thing that gleams positive is that yes, time for him is running out and hopefully this last batch of slop will be his last, but if he somehow insists on being ignored, there could be more and more which will only go to cement the fact that he cannot write a song worthy of release or pique the interest of anyone with earshot of any taste whatsoever. The sad fact is that he'll go to his grave thinking he's absolutely more talented than his famous cousin and that he is The Beach Boys.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 09:59:45 PM »

I don't think Mike spends much time Looking Back (with Love); his focus is always on the next gig, the next session, the next show. LBWL is not hard to find on vinyl; surprised one of those reissue labels hasn't put it on cd. I, for one, am glad he finally got interested again in making some new music.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 10:12:30 PM »

Face it man, SIP is the Mike Love solo standard. 12 Sides of Summer is the most hollow of them all and they're all pathetically in the same vein. Why would anyone think that something good could be crafted by someone as untalented as he is??? The only thing that gleams positive is that yes, time for him is running out and hopefully this last batch of slop will be his last, but if he somehow insists on being ignored, there could be more and more which will only go to cement the fact that he cannot write a song worthy of release or pique the interest of anyone with earshot of any taste whatsoever. The sad fact is that he'll go to his grave thinking he's absolutely more talented than his famous cousin and that he is The Beach Boys.

Nah, SIP was the responsibility of all involved. They tried to be contemporary, but missed the mark. Odd that one so biased against the Lovester would go to the trouble of listening to all three, if you have? UTL has got some rather fine songs, including a faux-Krishna chant that is quite, ahem, "enchanting". Mike is the Beach Boys, at least in spirit and in terms of mileage and man hours. But not once has he made the claim that he should somehow be more talented than cousin Brian.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 10:13:59 PM »

I don't think Mike spends much time Looking Back (with Love); his focus is always on the next gig, the next session, the next show. LBWL is not hard to find on vinyl; surprised one of those reissue labels hasn't put it on cd. I, for one, am glad he finally got interested again in making some new music.

Yeah, me too. As I recall, LBWL was on a major label, was it not?
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 05:48:00 AM »

Yeah, me too. As I recall, LBWL was on a major label, was it not?

Looking Back with Love was on Boardwalk Entertainment, which was only around from 1980 to 1983. It had some big names associated with it, but I don't know how "major" it was.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 06:25:50 AM »

The 2004-ish "Mike Love Not War" was never released, and was cannibalized for "Unleash the Love", so I don't think that would ever come out. He might snag the leftovers still not released from that one for a future album I suppose.

Mike seems to have zip interest in "Looking Back With Love" (he seemed embarrassed about it when Brian brought it up all the way back in 1989, only eight years after it had come out, during that "Campfire" bit from their TV show), and even re-re-made a couple tracks from that for his latest album.

I'm not sure if he owns the masters to "Looking Back With Love", but he does own the masters to the "Celebration" stuff and again seems to have zero interest in the stuff. They played "Almost Summer" on the SiriusXM station last year, but other than that, we haven't heard a peep out of the material in 40+ years. Despite "Almost Summer" seeming a no-brainer for Mike to do in concert (and to have remade on the "12 Sides..." album), he has done neither.

I mean, stranger things have happened. I could see this stuff (the previously released stuff that is) all getting dumped to digital download/streaming maybe.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 06:47:31 AM »

12 Sides of Summer is far from the best, but trust me. It's not as bad as Summer In Paradise.

SIP is the nadir of the entire BB's discography; 12 Side of Summer, on the other hand, is nice if slightly forgettable listen with far more solid song selection and production compared to SIP. Songs like "Rockaway Beach" and "Here Comes the Sun" were pleasant surprise for me.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 06:49:23 AM »

It is odd that Mike's own website has a discography page, but does not have Summer In Paradise listed in the Beach Boys section, and although it says it has Beach Boys and Mike solo records, there are no solo records in the list:

https://mikelove.com/discography/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 07:13:12 AM »

It is odd that Mike's own website has a discography page, but does not have Summer In Paradise listed in the Beach Boys section, and although it says it has Beach Boys and Mike solo records, there are no solo records in the list:

Yeah, not sure who put that thing together, but it's a weirdly partial "discography." It includes some late-era random cheapo compilations, but is missing some simple stuff. It has the C50 live album, but not "That's Why God Made the Radio"? It's almost like someone with no knowledge of the catalog just went on Amazon and then copied over what they could find.

That all being said, there was some talk back around the time of C50 that there was a possibility that someone in the organization had essentially made it so that "Summer in Paradise" has been quietly "retired" from the group catalog for lack of a better way to put it. There were a number of promotional and other types of patchwork designs and illustrations done to go along with C50 that included all the albums, yet always omitted "Summer in Paradise."

I don't see why Brian or even Al would really have a vested interest in propping up the SIP album, and even Mike largely ignores the *album* itself, really only working with the title track in concert from time to time these days. There's nobody at BRI to champion the album I'm guessing, so it kind of gets buried. And while I always advocate for everything to remain in print, I'm probably least broken up about SIP languishing in the vaults. It's very easy for hardcore fans to track down if they're interested.

I actually wouldn't mind a remix of the SIP album, especially the hand full of good compositions, with that AWFUL digital snare sample used on *everything* replaced with real drums (or even just a better triggered/sampled drum sound). But it remains to be seen if any multi-tracks for the album even still exist. One would think someone would have made some DAT backups (or, more far fetched, have the old nearly thirty-year-old hard drives storing the data), but who knows.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:16:26 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »

The two Celebration albums would make a nice twofer, if space allows.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 11:31:12 AM »

Mike is the Beach Boys, at least in spirit and in terms of mileage and man hours. But not once has he made the claim that he should somehow be more talented than cousin Brian.

LOL  Mike is not the Beach Boys, despite reports from some close to him that he has wanted to be known as The Beach Boys for years (decades actually) in terms of public opinion.

If there are some revisionist circles still trying to claim Mike Love is The Beach Boys, I wouldn't be surprised but it's both sad and pathetic to see. So much for "it's all about the music". And if indeed Mike is now supposed to be The Beach Boys, maybe that answers the questions posted recently asking why The Beach Boys don't have the name recognition or aren't talked about on the same level as some of their legacy-act contemporaries from the 60's and 70's. There has been one member touring as the band for 30 years and using the name to promote solo projects. That doesn't make him the band.

And that's the bottom line, isn't it? The music is The Beach Boys. Not the guy who tours under the name. Same goes for other "name" bands who have one or two members using the name while key players and founding members are not with them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 12:32:19 PM »

Mike is the Beach Boys, at least in spirit and in terms of mileage and man hours. But not once has he made the claim that he should somehow be more talented than cousin Brian.

LOL  Mike is not the Beach Boys, despite reports from some close to him that he has wanted to be known as The Beach Boys for years (decades actually) in terms of public opinion.

If there are some revisionist circles still trying to claim Mike Love is The Beach Boys, I wouldn't be surprised but it's both sad and pathetic to see. So much for "it's all about the music". And if indeed Mike is now supposed to be The Beach Boys, maybe that answers the questions posted recently asking why The Beach Boys don't have the name recognition or aren't talked about on the same level as some of their legacy-act contemporaries from the 60's and 70's. There has been one member touring as the band for 30 years and using the name to promote solo projects. That doesn't make him the band.

And that's the bottom line, isn't it? The music is The Beach Boys. Not the guy who tours under the name. Same goes for other "name" bands who have one or two members using the name while key players and founding members are not with them.

This is not about who has the right to tour under the name The Beach Boys, for none of the factions have that. Mike personifies the Beach Boys, is more like it. Relentless touring with his at times county fair type oldies jukebox set list is not for diehard fans. But it has kept the name alive. Had he retired, say, when Carl died, BB would have rested on their laurels, perhaps with more credibility, but certainly less name recognition.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 12:33:53 PM »

Yeah, not sure who put that thing together, but it's a weirdly partial "discography." It includes some late-era random cheapo compilations, but is missing some simple stuff. It has the C50 live album, but not "That's Why God Made the Radio"? It's almost like someone with no knowledge of the catalog just went on Amazon and then copied over what they could find.

That all being said, there was some talk back around the time of C50 that there was a possibility that someone in the organization had essentially made it so that "Summer in Paradise" has been quietly "retired" from the group catalog for lack of a better way to put it. There were a number of promotional and other types of patchwork designs and illustrations done to go along with C50 that included all the albums, yet always omitted "Summer in Paradise."

I don't see why Brian or even Al would really have a vested interest in propping up the SIP album, and even Mike largely ignores the *album* itself, really only working with the title track in concert from time to time these days. There's nobody at BRI to champion the album I'm guessing, so it kind of gets buried. And while I always advocate for everything to remain in print, I'm probably least broken up about SIP languishing in the vaults. It's very easy for hardcore fans to track down if they're interested.

I actually wouldn't mind a remix of the SIP album, especially the hand full of good compositions, with that AWFUL digital snare sample used on *everything* replaced with real drums (or even just a better triggered/sampled drum sound). But it remains to be seen if any multi-tracks for the album even still exist. One would think someone would have made some DAT backups (or, more far fetched, have the old nearly thirty-year-old hard drives storing the data), but who knows.
The strange thing is, of all the latter day BB albums, SIP is the one they seemed to give the biggest push. Songs from that album were in their setlists for several years after the release; the only songs from BB85 and SC that stayed in the setlists were the hits (Getcha Back, Kokomo). They tried very hard to sell SIP - a full year after its release, Mike was on ABC's In Concert (which started off as a promising hour long concert show airing around midnight Fridays, circa 1990, but by 1993 had devolved into a half hour show buried at 2 am) pushing the album. I think the deal they offered there was if you bought the box set, you got a free copy of SIP thrown in with it. That's how desperate they were to unload this turkey!
In retrospect, I think I and others would have gone easier on SIP if it had been released as a Mike Love solo album instead of a Beach Boys album. The fact that he turned the BB's into his backing group on this album turned me off. Surely, there must have been a couple good Al or Carl songs that could have been on the album. SIP was completely the vision of Mike and Terry, and as such, I guess I don't hate it the way I used to. A few good songs, awful production throughout...I mean, how could they mess up Hot Fun in the Summertime? The original is classic, but it's like Melcher stripped all the heart out of it with his cold digital production.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 01:15:20 PM »

In retrospect, I think I and others would have gone easier on SIP if it had been released as a Mike Love solo album instead of a Beach Boys album. The fact that he turned the BB's into his backing group on this album turned me off. Surely, there must have been a couple good Al or Carl songs that could have been on the album. SIP was completely the vision of Mike and Terry, and as such, I guess I don't hate it the way I used to. A few good songs, awful production throughout...I mean, how could they mess up Hot Fun in the Summertime? The original is classic, but it's like Melcher stripped all the heart out of it with his cold digital production.

To be fair, there is a Bruce song on there (which is a cover song, but with Bruce having written new parts - isn't that accurate?)
In any case, aside from the horrid snare drum on Slow Summer Dancing, I quite like that song as a guilty pleasure. Al's vocals (and Bruce's too) elevate it a LOT.

There's an okay EP that could be made out of SIP. Like 4 songs, or mayyybe 5 if you wanna be generous. The rest of the album is awful and embarrassing.

But it's interesting to think of what the fan consensus of SIP would be all these years if it had only been released as an EP, say with

Strange Things Happen
Lahaina Aloha
Slow Summer Dancing
Hot Fun in the Summertime
Island Fever or Still Surfin' if feeling generous

People would probably still say it sucked or was mediocre, but it wouldn't elicit the *massive* eyerolls that it does in its current form.
SIP really didn't need to be a full length album. There's truly no full length album of usable material there.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:16:13 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 01:17:06 PM »

LOL  Mike is not the Beach Boys, despite reports from some close to him that he has wanted to be known as The Beach Boys for years (decades actually) in terms of public opinion.

What would happen if Mike legally changed his personal human name to TheBeachBoys?  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 01:29:01 PM »

The disdain for “Summer in Paradise” comes from a bunch of areas.

I think, in terms of its career-low sales and (non) chart placement, that was down to the music not being good and not being in tune with anything that was a hit at the time. “Kokomo” was a fluke, and it was four years prior anyway. Nobody wanted to hear one clone of “Kokomo”, let alone a bunch. Also, the band essentially self-financed the album and released it themselves. They got a distributor to get it in stores, but it was a “Brother Entertainment” release. That they couldn’t net a record deal to get the thing out there should have been a strong warning that it wasn’t going to fly. Despite Stamos pushing the music on multiple “Full House” episodes, SIP never got *any* traction.

It also didn’t help that it was the first album with *zero* Brian Wilson involvement. Not that Brian was bringing all A-list material in that era, and not that he had been the driving force behind recent albums, but the optics to whatever music press might pay attention were not good when they couldn’t even get Brian to plink on a keyboard for one song to say he was on it.

While probably not a major factor, not helping things as well was that the album *sounded* awful even back then. Sure, sampled/triggered/electronic drums were nothing new. But this album was particularly sterile and lifeless on the sonic side of things. It all sounded shrill and thin.

And yes, turning over an album to a songwriting and creative team (Love and Melcher) that had one actual hit to their credit and then a bunch of okay to middling to poor work over the previous seven or so years, did not help things either.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 06:50:52 AM »

I didn't buy the full 12 Sides of Summer album, but of the tracks I downloaded from it, "Rockaway Beach" is a pretty decent Ramones cover, and "The Girl from Ipanema" is competent.  Love and his band try to go for the gold with the cover of "Here Comes The Sun", which ultimately isn't anything remarkable but at the very best it is listenable.  

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2019, 08:21:41 AM »

The latest, "12 Sides of Summer", I might sit that one out. Read nothing but bad reviews of it.

It is up on YouTube I believe, go and check out the tracks...if you liked UTL then you'd probably like this. There were a few reviews initially that were glowing about the album - and even those who have been more critical of Mike in the past thought 'Girl From Ipanema' was pretty darn good. I personally didn't care for the sound of the album at all, but my (and others) opinion shouldn't stop you from giving the tracks a chance!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »

Mike was on ABC's In Concert (which started off as a promising hour long concert show airing around midnight Fridays, circa 1990
[/quote]

Is there footage of this show somewhere ?
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »

The latest, "12 Sides of Summer", I might sit that one out. Read nothing but bad reviews of it.

It is up on YouTube I believe, go and check out the tracks...if you liked UTL then you'd probably like this. There were a few reviews initially that were glowing about the album - and even those who have been more critical of Mike in the past thought 'Girl From Ipanema' was pretty darn good. I personally didn't care for the sound of the album at all, but my (and others) opinion shouldn't stop you from giving the tracks a chance!

Thanks! I'll do that.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »

Mike was on ABC's In Concert (which started off as a promising hour long concert show airing around midnight Fridays, circa 1990

Is there footage of this show somewhere ?
[/quote]
Seems like I saw it on youtube recently. They show the band performing Summer in Paradise - much better version than the studio version. When I finally coughed up a dollar for a cassette of it years later, I was disappointed that Bruce didn't sing the last verse. There was also footage of a beach party at Capitol records to celebrate the box set, and an interview with Mike, where he talks about his plans for the next BB's album, which he calls Masterpiece, which will deal with more serious issues like the environment.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 06:10:17 AM »

I'm sure I'll be labeled a "Mike Love apologist" or whatever the term is floating around these days, but the fact that statements like these go unchallenged here is astonishing to me.

[/quote]

The only thing that gleams positive is that yes, time for him is running out and hopefully this last batch of slop will be his last...
[/quote]

I actually agree that Mike has vastly diluted The Beach Boys' name and brand by over-touring and pushing for retreads of the surfing themes.

I agree, he has been a major asshole to Brian, the rest of the band, and probably many other people.

I agree that Mike (nor anybody else, for that matter) isn't anywhere even near the ballpark of genius that Brian Wilson is.

What Mike Love also isn't is a tyrant, rapist, mass murderer, etc, etc. And, yet, we have people openly excited about his (somewhat) impending death? Its insanity.

Not to bring politics into it, but, I absolutely DESPISE Donald Trump, and moreso Mike Pence for the hate that they help(ed) spread in their respective political careers and even I don't wish death upon them.

It used to be said that chivalry is dead, but maybe someone got that confused with civility.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 02:51:24 PM »

What an horrible comment once more!  So much hate... horrible! Isn't  there a moderator here? 
Idisgusting...
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 03:41:30 PM »

What an horrible comment once more!  So much hate... horrible! Isn't  there a moderator here? 
Idisgusting...

Yes, by all means, he should be banned just for having an OPINION alone!! And if that OPINION is contrary to ours, then it is just PURE HATE!!!  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx