gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 10:27:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Week in BB History  (Read 2265 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2019, 04:45:16 PM »

August 19, 1962-The BBs played the “First Annual Surfer’s Ball,” at the Hollywood Palladium with Dick Dale. The next day they played a daytime fashion show at the Tustin Playhouse-with Timi Yuro (who sang “Hurt”) and Dorsey Burnette.  Neither of these were in my book-as I discovered them after publication. Also, on August 20 the BBs began a series of promo appearances for KWFB at various locations of the Broadway Store-Roger Christian was at all of them. They played at the Downtown LA store with Kathy Linden and the Genteels and then at the Del Amo Mall at 7:30 with Bobby Rydell. The next day they appeared at the store in West Covina at 2:30 and Pasadena at 7:30.   On Aug 22 they were at the Orange County store at 2:30 and the Whittier store at 7:30.  On Aug 23 they were in Westchester at 2:30 and the Crenshaw location at 7:30.

Aug 9 1963-The BBs were on their first big summer tour and played the Cold Springs Resort in Hamilton IN. Brian was absent from this leg of the tour and the lineup instead featured Al and Dave. The next day they played Chicago for the first time and then headed to Burlington, VT for a show on August 12. The BBs first app in Boston was at the New Music Hall the next day with Jan and Dean, Tony and the Del Fi’s, Myles Connor and the Ravens and Mary Ann Mobley.  On August 14 1963 they were at the Palace Park Ballroom, Old Orchard ME and then appeared at the Surf Auditorium in Hill NH.  On August 16 they were at Mountain Park in Holyoke, MA. Shows followed in Homedale, Barnesville, and Transfer PA. By August 21 they were at the West View Park Danceland in Pittsburgh, a venue also played by the Stones in 1964. A rather infamous show took place at Wheeling Downs Roller Rink in West Virginia the next day. David said the promoter helped him and Carl “procure” ladies to deflower them. On August 23 the BBs played at Le Sourdsville Lake Amusement Park in Middletown, OH.  None of these shows, except the Boston one, were reviewed. Local papers ignored the tour for the most part.

Aug 10 1964-The BBs recorded vocals for “When I Grow Up” at Western. A week later Brian produced the Jimmy Reed song “Baby What Do You Want Me to Do” for Bob Norberg-under the title “Peep and Hide.”  Brian and the BBs flew to Cleveland on August 21 to play at Euclid Beach Amusement Park. They then returned to Pittsburgh to appear at the Syria Mosque and then made their first appearance in Evansville, IN on August 23 1964.  The local paper noted “Room had been left around the stage area for dancing, while the listeners filled the chairs, bleachers and part of the balcony.” Aug 20-21 1965-The BBs played the Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento, CA with Barbara Lewis, The Preps and Group B. The Hitliner noted the BBs “certainly put on a show.  For nearly an hour, both nights, they filled the auditorium with so many Beach Boys hits it’s almost impossible to list them.  Although some have been disappointed at the absence of Brian Wilson, the show certainly did not suffer with the addition of Bruce Johnston.”  On Aug 23 1965-the BBs were at Western to work on the Party LP.  They recorded versions of “I Should Have Known Better,” “Ruby Baby,” “Satisfaction,” “Hully Gully” and “Blowing in the Wind.”

Aug 9-11 1966 Brian made mixes of early versions of Good Vibrations.  Meanwhile the BBs were on the road.  They played in Denver on August 9 with The Moonrakers, The Boënzee Cryque (featuring Rusty Young of future Poco fame), King Louie and the Laymen and the Astronauts) and then in Omaha and Fargo, ND.  They appeared at the Illinois State Fair on August 12 1966-with Sam The Sham & the Pharaohs.  That night Mike and Bruce flew to Chicago to visit the Beatles, who were just beginning their last U.S. tour (the so called “Christ” tour-because in Chicago John had to publicly apologize for calling the Beatles more popular then Jesus. Asked for his own comment, Mike said “They’re trying to put everyone on.”  Bruce commented, “The Beatles said it that way.  We say this, we are not as well-known as even Moses.”).  Keith Badman stated that Carl was at the Beatles summit but I have since found information that shows that he wasn’t present.  Debbie Hutson, a reporter for The State Journal Register snagged a seat with Mike and Bruce on a charter flight from Springfield (without Carl) and reported that the two arrived in Chicago at 1 AM and went to the Astor Hotel, where the Fab Four were ensconced.  According to Hutson, “The ‘Boys’ thought the Beatles were a drag.  ‘They were ASLEEP when we got there… They don’t know how to party at all.  It must have been the seventh day for them, all they wanted to do was rest.’”  The summit meeting petered out around 8 AM and the two BBs flew on to Duluth for their next concert. 

The BBs played the Fort William Gardens in Fort William, Ontario on August 14 with Bobby Kris & the Imperials and the Bonnvilles, followed by shows in Minot, ND (August 15) and Calgary on August 16 with Chad and Jeremy and the Sunrays, followed by shows in Victoria and Vancouver with the same bill.  The Vancouver show was reviewed by a sixteen-year-old fan, who noted “Drummer Dennis Wilson displayed an outstanding talent at the drums but at times seemed to overpower the singers.  The Beach Boys attempts at humor were weak compared to the wit of Chad and Jeremy, who had the supporting spot. Loudest applause for the Beach Boys was for their recent hit, ‘God Only Knows.’” The tour concluded with shows in Spokane, WA on August 19- with Chad and Jeremy and the Sunrays and the Coliseum in Portland, OR on August 20-with the Tempests, Live Five and the Tweedy Brothers.  During this time Brian answered fan questions for Disc.  Unlike nowadays, where he credits Rubber Soul with influencing him, Brian stated “I don’t see there has been any influence either way-on Pet Sounds or Revolver though I know there’s mutual respect between the groups, this doesn’t necessarily reflect itself in our musical directions.”

Aug 4-15 1967- Bruce, who’d largely absented himself from the Smiley Smile sessions, spent 11 days in the UK to do Promotion for Heroes and Villains. He commented to Nick Jones of Melody Maker “I get bored just resting.  I really dig to work and man we’re not working again till October.  That’s why I’ve come over to England because I can do some appearances on TV and radio interviews.”  However, he had little to say.  He commented, “There isn’t much to report. We haven’t done anything that you don’t already know about over here.” Bruce did, however, put the kibosh on rumors he was unhappy with the BBs. He told Disc “Sure, that’s why I’m sitting here spending all this time telling you about the Beach Boys and all the work they’re doing!”  Meanwhile, from Aug 10-17 1967- Al served as an emcee at the preliminaries of the “rock music championship” with John Beck of the Leaves and Sky Saxon of The Seeds at the Hullaballoo Nightclub

August 9-11 1968 the BBs played the Steel Pier in Atlantic City with the New Christy Minstrels and the Boxtops. Pianist Doug Dragon told me, “I remember being on the Atlantic City tour.  In those days it was cash and carry. You got paid in cash-in small bills. Dick Duryea probably had an ulcer. He drank scotch and he invited me into his room.  All over his king-size bed was all this money and he was drunk and told me to take it (into my room).  That’s all I would have needed! He would wake me up the next morning yelling that he was 100 bucks short!  He was a good-looking guy. His father was Dan Duryea.  He was always there-he toured till he dropped.  He was in charge of the money-he carried a gun.  You get 25,000 in cash for one night in Atlantic City-you have to have some muscle. We played three gigs on the Steel Pier. A very responsive audience. I had a ball.”

On Aug 12 1968-The BBs taped an appearance on the Dick Cavett TV Show in New York miming Do It Again.  I have yet to find this on Youtube-but a lot of Cavett footage has started to turn up.  That same day the BBs also taped the Happening TV Show-again miming to Do It Again (interspersed with clips from the Do It Again Surf Shop Video), Wake the World and introducing the promo clip of Friends.  The next day the BBs taped the Tonight Show on NBC TV, New York: with Jimmy Breslin and Jack E. Leonard. The BBs performed an impromptu “Graduation Day” and were interviewed by Johnny Carson. The video-tapes of this show have been erased but audio survives.  From Aug 15-24 1968 the BBs were on the road with the Box Tops and Pickle Brothers. They played in Green Bay, WI on August 15. The shows were taped by Desper but not used on the recent box set. One reviewer noted, “The Boys were able to reproduce their recorded hits to near perfection with the aid of a small brass section which included trumpet, trombone and French horn.” The other, however, commented, “Their background band crucified their appealing sound much of the time.  The Boys singing was drowned out by the band, which wanted to show everyone it existed…Whenever the band shut up, the Boys came out at their best.” Shows followed in Indianapolis, IN, Asbury Park, NJ, Madison, WI, Winnipeg, Regina, Edmonton, Calgary, Spokane, WA before the tour concluded in Boise, Idaho on August 24 1968.  The show at Edmonton was preceded by a press conference.  Mike was asked about drugs and said, “I’m already crazy-what would I want to do that for!” When asked about the draft he stated, “The draft? I shut the windows and close the doors. And don’t forget the weather stripping!”

Aug 15 1969-The BBs worked on the single version of Cotton Fields at Sunset Sound (apparently without Brian’s involvement). Four days later a taped appearance on the Happening TV Show aired-The BBs mimed to “Cotton Fields” (the album version) and “Breakaway”, plus a live version of “Johnny B. Goode” with Paul Revere.  They also showed film from their June European Tour with narration by Mike. An audiotape of this exists and the video may also survive, but has yet to turn up on Youtube.  Meanwhile, Brian was working with Steve Kalinich at Wally Heider’s Studio.  On August 22 they taped America, I Know You.

Aug 13, 1970 Filming of Two-Lane Blacktop began-with Dennis playing “the Mechanic.” While he was away the BBs worked on Looking at Tomorrow, Till I Die, Big Sur (Unreleased Version) and on Aug 17 HELP is On the Way.  Aug 16- 1972 the BBs played the Mississippi River Festival in Edwardsville, IL and then headed to Chicago to play the Auditorium Theater on August 17. A reviewer commented, “Coming back for the first of two encores, Dennis yelled out, ‘Whaddya wanna hear?’  Roar.  Everyone in the hall screamed out titles of Beach Boys songs. ‘Help Me Rhonda’ had a wild solo from Captain Keyboard who, with deadpan face, jumped all over the piano like a rocking Jerry Lee Lewis.  Segue right into ‘I Get Around’ and off to screams.  Back on stage, all the lights on, and closing with a dynamite ‘Fun, Fun, Fun.” The next day the BBs played Dillon Stadium in Hartford, CT with The Kinks, The Doors (post Morrison) and Flo and Eddie of the Turtles.  This was the first of four nights of shows with the Kinks, who also appeared with the BBs at the NJ State Fairgrounds, Allentown Fairgrounds, and Nassau Coliseum.  In my book, I related a story that Ed Roach told me about how Dennis had a “knockdown drag-out fight” with Ray Davies of the Kinks after one show.  “They fought over this groupie and (the road crew) took Dennis away all bloody.  They really fought it out and I didn’t see Dennis again till we got to New York… and I knocked on his door and the woman, that he had the fight with Ray Davies over, answered the door of his hotel room!” The BBs then headed to Boston for two nights of shows on August 23 and 24. While they were there, Mike, Carl, Al and Billy Hinsche all helped Charles Lloyd record “TM Song” for his album at a local studio.

Aug 12 1973-the BBs played at the University of Cincinnati, OH with Linda Ronstadt.  This was right after Murray’s death and the BBs invited Audree on the road with them. This was the tour that most of the “In Concert” LP came from (though they also used some songs from Nov 1972). The BBs played three nights in Chicago (August 14-16).  They were in Richmond on August 18 and the Nassau Coliseum on August 19-with Jonathan Edwards. They then played in Foxboro, MA-with Loggins and Messina and Jonathan Edwards on August 20 and Danbury Prison on August 23.  Aug 13 1974- Brian, in the midst of his most reclusive period, went to KRTH FM and was interviewed by General Manager Jim Pewter. They played many old BB songs and Brian commented on them.  He walked out briefly when Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains were played- saying he didn’t want to hear them. It was written up in the LA Times and audio is floating around.  Aug 20 1974- Dennis held a session for My Love Lives On.  Three days later the BBs played Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City with The Eagles.  As I noted in my book, “While oldies definitely outnumbered post 1970 songs, the band still played “Sail on Sailor” (with Billy Hinsche on lead), “Long Promised Road”, “California”, “Marcella”, “All This Is That”, and “Feel Flows.”  Ricky Fataar, soon to depart the group, sang his usual lead on “We Got Love” as well.”

Aug 10 1975 the BBs played Balboa Stadium in San Diego with Jesse Colin Young and Pure Prairie League. Donald Harrison of The San Diego Union noted that the crowd “responded enthusiastically to the downright insistent beats of such past favorites as ‘Help Me Rhonda’, ‘Surfer Girl’, ‘Little Deuce Coupe’, ‘California Girls’, ‘I Get Around’ and ‘Good Vibrations.’ Aug 18 1975-the BBs played the Iowa State Fair with Ambrosia and then spent two nights at Pine Knob. The Windsor Star reviewer commented that the show on the first night was “mechanical and joyless. There was no tension, no excitement, nothing in the air to tantalize. No reason for expectation.  In fact, for long stretches the music was monotonous and only half way through did they actually sound like the Beach Boys.” The BBs were in Dayton on Aug 21, Kalamazoo, MI on August 22, and Pittsburgh on August 23 1975

August 9 1976 the BBs played in Peoria, IL with the Watermelon Rhythm Band and then at Dayton the next day with Heart. They then played two nights at the Philly Spectrum also with Heart). The Evening Bulletin noted, “The BBs delivered the usual repertoire of old favorites peppered with some new material from their latest LP.  If anything, the sound mix blared and the playing projected without much distinction but it would take a great deal more than mediocre acoustics to blunt the joyous impact of a group that’s established itself as one of pop music’s longest lived institutions.” The BBs then played in Hampton, VA, Pittsburgh (with Peter Frampton and Gary Wright) and Columbus, OH on August 15 1976.  Brian was not at any of these shows but he did tape a long interview for the UK Old Grey Whistle Test, where he discussed plans to start touring again.  Much of this interview was used in the American Band documentary of 1985.  Brian and the BBs were also recording at this time. On Aug 18 Ruby Baby was recorded. Dennis also continued work on his LP. You and I was worked on the next day and on Aug 20 work was done on the Bambu song Schoolgirl.  On Aug 21 1976-Brian recorded a demo of Marilyn Rovell and vocals for Sherry She Needs Me.

August 19 1977-The BBs played the Indianapolis State Fairgrounds with Ricci Martin. I have a photo of Brian backstage in my book. Zach Dunkin of the Indianapolis News noted that the presence of Brian at this show made it special.  “His vocals…on ‘Sloop John B,’ ‘Airplane’ and ‘Love is a Woman,’ were surprisingly better than what has been heard on the group’s last two albums.  He’s looking much better too, with the smaller waistline.  His short hair and beard were startling changes.” The next day they played the Kentucky State Fair and then the Mississippi River Festival on August 21 1977 and the Iowa State Fair the next day. Aug 9 and 10 1978 the BBs played in Cleveland. Mark Hruby of the Cleveland Press argued they stayed because “the Beach Boys means having a good time.  They perform with style and cool.  Their lyrics and melodies are among the most remembered of rock ’n’ roll. From ‘California Girls’ and ‘Little Deuce Coupe’ to ‘Rhonda’ and ‘Wouldn’t It Be Nice’ the patrons vocalized as much as the performers.” These shows were followed by three nights at Pine Knob and the Illinois State Fair on August 14 1978.

Aug 11 1979-The BBs played Aloha Stadium in Hawaii with Heart. Dennis was out of the band at the time but flew out to Hawaii and was allowed onstage.  However, all was not forgiven and he was not allowed back again until November. Aug 18 1979-The BBs played at Comiskey Park with Blondie, Sha Na Na and others. The next night they again played the Mississippi River Festival and then the Iowa State Fair on August 20. Jim Healey of the Des Moines Register praised the band for streamlining their act.  He commented, “By cutting back the group to a more manageable size, and by getting Johnston to sign on again, the Beach Boys have drawn tighter the yarn that binds them and their music.  The result was a truly exciting set here Monday, one that re-established the group as a prime force in modern rock ‘n’ roll.” The tour ended with a show in Norfolk, VA on August 21 1979. The next day Brian recorded a demo of Night Bloomin Jasmine (which appears as a bonus track on the CD of his first LP-where it was incorporated into the Rio Grande suite).  Aug 9 1980 the BBs played the Memorial Auditorium in Rochester, NY, followed the next day by a show in Louisville, KY.

Aug 14 1981 the BBs played in Omaha, NB with Little River Band and the Rockets.  Neither Carl nor Dennis were there (Dennis had been suspended again). They played the Illinois State Fair the next night and then the Wisconsin State Fair on Aug 16 1981. Dennis was back and Duane Dudek of the Milwaukee Sentinel singled him out as "the only member to work up a sweat."  He noted that Brian "was planted in front of a white piano, and he scowled and chain smoked his way through the show.  His one solo 'Wouldn't It Be Nice' was delivered in a clear, nasal voice and was a surprise to those who thought he could no longer speak...Al Jardine barely earned his paycheck with 'School Days.'”  The BBs played in Merrivile, Indiana (17) Eureka, MO (18) Red Rocks (19, 20) Colorado State Fair, (21) and Oklahoma City, OK (August 22) At this show Dennis was again absent and the BBs confronted a very rowdy crowd- Charles Jones of the Oklahoman reported that audience members "hurled beer, Frisbees, food, ice, toilet paper and even one soft drink bottle at the stage...During the group's second offering, 'Sloop John B,'…a gallon jug partially full of beer smashed against Brian Wilson's baby grand piano, spraying the reclusive artist with the sticky brew.  During the next tune, 'Surfin,' a cup of ice hurled from the crowd soaked Al Jardine's right arm."

Aug 11 1982 the BBs played in La Crosse, Wisconsin with all 6 in attendance. This was increasingly rare in this period, as usually Brian or Dennis or both were absent on any given night. Geri Parlin of the La Crosse Tribune reported, “Brian joined in on a few of the famous Beach Boys harmonies, but he mainly sat on the side and plunked away at the piano, every once in a while beaming a smile towards the others in the group as if to say, ‘I made them what they are today.  Aren’t they wonderful.’…They are the old men of the sea and surf, gurus of harmony who can still blend their voices into a distillation of magical mergence.” The BBs played Chicago Fest 82 at the Navy Pier with Cheap Trick the next night and then the usual run of State Fairs (Illinois, Wisconsin, Kentucky) for the next few nights. They were at Timber Wolf Amphitheater on Aug 17 1982 and then in Memphis the next night. As I mention in my book, in between shows, the group visited Graceland, former home of Elvis.  At that night’s show Dennis dedicated “You Are So Beautiful” to the King.  John Belfuss of the Memphis Press Scimitar commented, “Though the Beach Boys have lost the endearing, rough garage-band edge of their early recordings, their unique harmonies and the vocals of Mike Love sound practically unchanged.  And original member Carl Wilson let loose some sharp Chuck Berry riffs.  The crowd especially appreciated the ‘car medley’…the ‘girls medley’…and the ‘Surfin’ medley.” Shows followed in Columbus, Sedalia MO and Destin Florida. One of the Florida shows was partially filmed by the Today Show NBC TV.

Aug 12-23 1983-The BBs were back on the road all over the Midwest, South, east coast and Canada. Zach Dunkin of the Indianapolis News reported that after a few years of substandard shows the band was back in fine form on August 17, though Brian and Dennis were absent.  “Those unmistakable Beach Boys harmonies were there again-crisp, tight, powerful and full of California sunshine freshness…It was like the Beach Boys of old.” Dunkin thought that the absence of the two most troubled Wilsons helped. “They seemed to concentrate more on the subject at hand, singing and playing, then worrying about baby-sitting for Dennis, who would walk offstage periodically, and Brian, who often sat zombie like at the piano.”

Aug 9 1984 the BBs played the Oak Wood Lake Resort, in Monteca, CA and then at Butte College in Oroville, CA the next night. They also played a show in Los Angeles for the Olympic athletes. On Aug 18 1984 they played at a Republican Convention Party with Brian in Dallas.  This got them a bunch of publicity because Brian was arrested for walking around the convention without having proper credentials and kept in jail for over three hours. It made every paper in the country.
Shows followed in the Midwest and Canada. The Beach Boys performed at the CNE in Toronto on August 20. Liam Lacey of the Globe and Mail noted, “Each time the Beach Boys come out, they tinker slightly with the basic format of the show; Carl Wilson offered a pretty ballad, ‘Heaven,’ which was dedicated to Dennis Wilson.  But even in the middle, slower portion of the show, the band basically stuck to the hits ‘In My Room,’ ‘God Only Knows,’ ‘Wouldn’t It Be Nice,’ and a slightly unusual choice, the minor 1964 hit, ‘Wendy.’”

August 9-16 1985 the BBs again toured in the Midwest. They then headed to Vegas for some shows and then up to the Pacific Northwest.  The show in Vancouver on August 21 was reviewed. John Mackie of the Vancouver Sun noted, “The highlight of the evening was Carl singing ‘God Only Knows’: there was a moment at the song’s end when he and Bruce Johnston sang ‘God only knows what I’d be without you’ one after the other, followed by a little drum roll, that was divine.”  August 1986 saw the BBs touring with various openers including John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band, Katrina and the Waves and occasionally Roger McGuinn. Think I’ll stop there.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 11:18:20 AM »

Could keep going but most summers after were more touring
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 12:08:24 PM »

Thanks for this, as always!

We need to start a list with which celebrities Dennis got into a fight. Ray Davis, Jim Morrison (with Eric Burdon, iirc), Mike Love (obviously)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 03:56:14 PM »

I never knew that story of him being jailed at the Republican Convention!
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 04:33:59 PM »

Thanks Ian...….takes me back to that 8/9/1976 summer evening in Dayton, Ohio.  Hitch-hiked from Oxford, Ohio to Dayton to see the show with a buddy.  Billy Joel was supposed to be the back-up...and who walks out...this group called Heart.  Their first album had been released and by far was the best received back-up band that I've ever seen at a Beach Boys concert.

I re-lived that evening at a Beach Boys meet-n-greet in Seattle the year Mike Love did his book tour.  Had a chance to spend a couple of minutes with Mike backstage prior to the show as we were waiting for pictures taken to be taken.  I asked him if he remembered the group that replaced Billy Joel on tour that evening in Dayton.  No hesitation as Mike said Heart.  He said Billy had gotten ill and they were able to pick up Heart for few shows to replace Billy.  I told him I distinctly remembered both he and Al hushed the crowd as the BB's were on stage preparing to play their first song and saying "folks you are going to hear about this group for a long time.

Thanks Ian.....great memories on a rainy Seattle day !!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 04:40:59 AM »

Cool that Mike recalls that-I wish he'd had more specific memories in his book-which felt a little too undefiled for my tastes at times
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 07:05:22 AM »

If Mike (and the other guys) did a book of *just* tour reminiscences, paired with some nice concert photos, that would be great. It would side-step the axe-grinding and politics and all of that. And a simple solid book editor would keep the thing from having any one member submit too many self-aggrandizing stories.

They could even work in some touring band members and their stories, especially to fill in the gaps for Carl and Dennis stories.

When Mike posts on Facebook about shows from decades ago, it's always interesting and then also tinged with being a bit off-putting because he rejected playing with Brian and Al seven years ago but places those super old shows in the context of his *current* tourin band as if it's the same thing. But if they did a book, it would be in a *group* context and it would work much better I think.

These guys surely have a ton of tour stories tucked away in their brains, and interviewing them would probably shake even more stories loose.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 04:37:20 AM »

Sorry-I typed with a phone. I meant undetailed not undefiled
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx