gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:44:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Nicky Wonder  (Read 15899 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2019, 01:44:21 AM »

Oh man, how sad.  He was my favorite part of the backing band.  He brought a real distinct and authentic style, and skillfully walked that fine line between making you notice him and making sure it wasn't all about him. 

That summed him up perfectly

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2019, 03:06:28 AM »

If Mars..., that's a lovely story.

I always thought Nicky's talents were so integral to the sound and that he was underrated for what he did. His guitar was always perfect to recapture the magic of Pet Sounds, Smile etc...

a sad day Sad
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2019, 09:23:15 AM »

As I walked out on cloud nine, I accidentally knocked over Brian’s Diet Coke and it spilled everywhere!

That's the kind of thing that makes Brian propose marriage.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2019, 09:39:44 AM »

I suppose now it’s time to ask... what was the hat all about?

RIP Nicky
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2019, 12:56:15 PM »

Nick was a true original, but yet that description doesn’t quite do him justice either. As part of Wondermints, he was a strong singer/songwriter who travelled where his muse would take him. 60’s styled harmony pop? No problem! Jazz-tinged lounge? Why not? Beautiful folk pop? Cool! If Darian’s songs often wore their hearts on their sleeves, Nick’s songs often had that mischievous twinkle.  When they got the gig with Brian Wilson, Nick often supplied those Carl Wilson-worthy guitar tones that hadn’t been heard on live performances of Beach Boys music since Carl Wilson had stopped using a Fender Jazzmaster. Watching Nick play the solo melody on the PET SOUNDS title track was always a treat because of how much he put of his own into it.

Anyone who loves pop music owes it to themselves to seek out the 4 albums Wondermints made between 1994 and 2002. And after that, offer up an Excelsior to Nicky Wonder.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2019, 03:39:58 PM »

The perfect share. Thanks so much! In a horrible coincidence, I was traveling to and from, and attending my husband's memorial service on 8/7, so I'll try to take this in as a can. I guess we can find out if we run out of tears.

What terrible losses we are experiencing. I hope this indicates that we can join them at some special place (if we behave ourselves)...and that Nicky will be there with his guitar.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2019, 06:01:36 PM »

Gotta pay my respects to Nicky. RIP friend. The greatest backing band in the world is a little less great without you... but you will live on in the music. Really enjoyed hearing you perform these songs I love dearly and damn, you not only did them justice, but elevated the music to another level. Thank you for the amazing memories.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2019, 06:07:09 PM »

http://floodmagazine.com/65965/remembering-nick-walusko-1960-2019/

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2019, 06:13:39 PM »

The perfect share. Thanks so much! In a horrible coincidence, I was traveling to and from, and attending my husband's memorial service on 8/7, so I'll try to take this in as a can. I guess we can find out if we run out of tears.

What terrible losses we are experiencing. I hope this indicates that we can join them at some special place (if we behave ourselves)...and that Nicky will be there with his guitar.

Very sorry you lost your husband, Debbie. Sending good energy your way.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2019, 06:25:11 PM »

Very sorry you lost your husband, Debbie. Sending good energy your way.

Seconded, Debbie. Sending much love your way
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2019, 06:50:42 PM »

I'm so sorry, Debbie. Sincere condolences.  Sad

EM

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2019, 08:41:27 PM »

Wonderful  article, sad days.  Thank you sir for the great music and spirit.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2019, 08:49:12 PM »

Agree, that's a great tribute to Nick.

Debbie, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2019, 09:24:56 PM »

I suppose now it’s time to ask... what was the hat all about?

Fashion, that's all. If you're talking about the furry hat he wore sometimes, I'm sure his Russian roots (his name is Walusko, after all) have something to do with it.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »

Such incredibly sad news. Loved watching him play with his array of guitars (the danelectros and jazzmasters etc). RIP Nicky. Must have been very hard for the band to play so soon after.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2019, 07:03:52 PM »

There's a GoFundMe now to raise money for:

• Nick's funeral
  • Finishing his album Memories of Tomorrow
  • Donations to the SPCA in honor of his rescued chihuahua Ringo

URL: https://www.gofundme.com/f/aqwfm-nicky-wonder-nick-walusko-memorial-fund

« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 07:04:19 PM by 37!ws » Logged

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2019, 04:27:23 PM »

I just saw this thread a few minutes ago (I've been away too long, obviously).  I'm shocked and saddened to hear of Nicky Wonder's death.  I didn't meet him, but I enjoyed his playing at two Brian shows in the past few years.  For those of you who did meet him, I appreciate your sharing your stories.  It sounds like he was good people as well as a fine musician.

Debbie KL, I'm also sad to hear of your husband's death.

Love and mercy, and good vibrations to all concerned.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2019, 04:36:46 PM »

There's a GoFundMe now to raise money for:

• Nick's funeral
  • Finishing his album Memories of Tomorrow
  • Donations to the SPCA in honor of his rescued chihuahua Ringo

URL: https://www.gofundme.com/f/aqwfm-nicky-wonder-nick-walusko-memorial-fund

It made me feel less helpless to support this GoFundMe. Thanks for posting. What a wonderful cause that I think all of us can support on some level.

And thanks for all of your generous sympathies over the loss of my husband. He was such a special man.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2019, 06:30:20 PM »

Oh Deb, I am so very sad and sorry to hear of your husband's passing. All I can do here is forward my profound wishes that he found peace and that you can withstand his absence and stay strong through this difficult time. Please know that many are thinking of you and wishing the best we possibly can.  Cry

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2019, 07:48:58 PM »

In PS DVD, when Jeff Foskett toured with Brian's band, coolest thing to me been Nicky's "Here Today" solo. Listening to 1966 record, that place in music seemed & still seems really difficult to play. Then I see the PS film & this guy with headgear plays it just like that, as if it's easiest thing to do. I respected Nicky Wonder's talent since then. & found who's who in Brian's band, their names & talents.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2019, 10:25:36 PM »

Oh Deb, I am so very sad and sorry to hear of your husband's passing. All I can do here is forward my profound wishes that he found peace and that you can withstand his absence and stay strong through this difficult time. Please know that many are thinking of you and wishing the best we possibly can.  Cry

Seconded. You’re a dear friend and just know we’re thinking of you during this difficult time.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2019, 10:27:24 PM »

In PS DVD, when Jeff Foskett toured with Brian's band, coolest thing to me been Nicky's "Here Today" solo. Listening to 1966 record, that place in music seemed & still seems really difficult to play. Then I see the PS film & this guy with headgear plays it just like that, as if it's easiest thing to do. I respected Nicky Wonder's talent since then. & found who's who in Brian's band, their names & talents.

Yes! It’s my favorite moment of the DVD  and I rewatched it several times since Nick passed

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2019, 03:09:53 AM »

That and him playing the song 'Pet Sounds' - I don't know if I'd even considered it was a guitar until watching him play it! Every nuance is in there.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2019, 07:50:14 AM »

That and him playing the song 'Pet Sounds' - I don't know if I'd even considered it was a guitar until watching him play it! Every nuance is in there.

He ruled that song!
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2019, 08:32:57 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBXE2tssCLU
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx