gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:02:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP Nicky Wonder  (Read 15897 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »

Just saw this on Brian's facebook page....
Sad Sad Sad https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158159064517241&id=34250497240

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 03:46:14 PM »

Oh, no....

Sad
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 03:55:52 PM »

Just found out,...sh*t

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 04:05:13 PM »

OMG!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:11:23 PM »

Oh no that is terrible.

Thank you so much for the amazing shows.

My condolences to his family, friends and all the band past and present.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 04:12:42 PM »

I am so sorry to hear this. While I never met Nicky, he seemed like such a great guy. Rest in Peace, thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and bandmates.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 04:13:29 PM »

I’m shocked. Sad day indeed.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 04:25:35 PM »

Met Nicky once, damn he was nice, he made that band so freakin cool. I’m in Rochester, NY, not going to tonight’s show in Lewiston NY, but I’ll be at Friday’s Show. Gonna be a sad one.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 04:45:27 PM »

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 04:47:28 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 05:18:56 PM »

Sending prayers for his family and friends. What an incredible talent and he will be missed badly. I hope Brian and the band are doing okay Sad

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 05:21:52 PM »

I'm at a loss right now. He was extremely nice to my family when we saw Brian the  last time...I get off work in 2 hours and am dreading telling my daughter. Doesn't feel or seem right at all.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 05:35:59 PM »

such sad and shocking news, and what awful timing.

Nicky had so much style and charisma on stage and the chops to back it all up, a perfect supporting musician.
I spoke to him briefly in Ann Arbor on Brian's first little tour with The Wondermints back in '99.

he was obviously a huge fan, at least as obsessed as I was, and you could tell how excited and honored he was to play with Brian.
I remember asking if he'd suggest playing Busy Doin Nothin to Brian and he lit up and said something like, "That would be so cool!"

sure enough, the band was playing it within a few years along with so many other great songs we never thought we'd hear Brian perform.
I know Nicky had a lot to do with helping make Brian feel comfortable and confident in general and also in some of his deeper cuts, including SMiLE and so much more.

thank you Nicky. I always enjoyed what you brought to the band and I hope you're jamming with Carl and Dennis right about now.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 06:11:46 PM by bossaroo » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 05:57:59 PM »

Wow, how sad. I looked up his age and he was only 59. I never met him but I've seen the band a few times, and he was obviously integral. I still remember that scene in Beautiful Dreamer where Brian makes him do "You're under arrest" repeatedly. Condolences to all his friends and family.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 06:42:40 PM »

such sad and shocking news, and what awful timing.

Nicky had so much style and charisma on stage and the chops to back it all up, a perfect supporting musician.
I spoke to him briefly in Ann Arbor on Brian's first little tour with The Wondermints back in '99.

he was obviously a huge fan, at least as obsessed as I was, and you could tell how excited and honored he was to play with Brian.
I remember asking if he'd suggest playing Busy Doin Nothin to Brian and he lit up and said something like, "That would be so cool!"

sure enough, the band was playing it within a few years along with so many other great songs we never thought we'd hear Brian perform.
I know Nicky had a lot to do with helping make Brian feel comfortable and confident in general and also in some of his deeper cuts, including SMiLE and so much more.

thank you Nicky. I always enjoyed what you brought to the band and I hope you're jamming with Carl and Dennis right about now.
Great tribute indeed, Bossaroo that echo my thoughts completely. How sad for Brian and the band and Nicky's family. So very sad and condolences for everyone. Cry

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 06:58:04 PM »

This is a sad, sad loss. His own music was freakin' amazing, too.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 07:00:37 PM »

My favorite Nicky Wonder memory will always be him waving the Jolly Roger flag during the transition between On a Holiday and Wind Chimes in the Smile concerts.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 07:06:13 PM »

Damn. That is insane. RIP.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 08:05:25 PM »

This is so sad. Anyone have any details as to the cause of death?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 08:18:23 PM »

Gosh. I'm absolutely heartbroken. And it's just so sad, as Brian's group is (and has been) full of such lovely people. What a shame.

Rest in peace, Nick.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 08:35:29 PM »

So shocked and sad.  Nicky was a great guitar player but what I loved most was how much he loved the music and the way he was around Brian.  It seems like he continued to get a thrill from playing this music with Brian, even after doing it for many years. 

Condolences to his family, and I hope it gives them some comfort to know that Nicky gave us so much happiness by helping to bring this amazing music to life with Brian’s band.   
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 09:15:15 PM »

https://youtu.be/WBXE2tssCLU

RIP Nicky
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 09:19:57 PM »

Doesn’t feel real. He was such a nice man; from just a brief interaction I could tell especially the way he was with Jaymie. I’m still trying to process this and I have no words to express what I want to say

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 10:10:52 PM »

This sucks.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 01:01:05 AM »

Oh man, how sad.  He was my favorite part of the backing band.  He brought a real distinct and authentic style, and skillfully walked that fine line between making you notice him and making sure it wasn't all about him. 
If Mars had life on it...
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 01:24:18 AM »

I’m in shock.  I’m all set to see Brian on Friday and was very much looking forward to seeing the great Nicky Wonder.  I will always remember Harrisburg, PA July 2000.  I was with my buddies and we weren’t sure where we were going.  I saw a guy with a Pet Sounds press pass on and asked him, “hey man, do you know where the show is?”.  He replied, “yeah, I’m the guitar player”.  We talked a bit as we walked and he could tell how much of a fan I was.  When we got to the venue he said, “wait here”.  A couple minutes later he appeared and said “I have good news and bad news....the good news is I got 4 back stage passes, the bad news is only 1 is signed by Brian”.  I was flipping out!  I literally ran to a CVS to buy a disposable camera and ran back.  I was drenched in sweat and we barely made the 8:00 start.  We had front row seats and backstage passes, what a night.  I’m now an elementary music teacher and tell this story each year when I teach about Brian and the boys.  I still have the pics and the autographs.  As I walked out on cloud nine, I accidentally knocked over Brian’s Diet Coke and it spilled everywhere!

Fast forward to summer 2013 at the Golden Nugget in Atlantic City.  Awesome show.  Afterwards my Dad and I leave our hotel room around midnight to do a little gambling.  Who do we run into?  Nicky Wonder!  He’s got his post show meal and he’s by himself.  I go up to him and say, “excuse me, but I have to tell you, great show tonight...and one more thing, you did a really nice thing for me 13 years ago, you got me to meet Brian and I just wanted to say thanks!”.  He said he remembered, but of course I think he was just being nice.  The really weird thing is I had a premonition days before the show that I would meet Nicky and thank him for 2000.  Anyways, his act of kindness will stay with me always.  Brian’s late career renaissance is directly due to Nicky and the Wondermints.  RIP Nicky!!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx