gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:24:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al's show in Florida cancelled!  (Read 11779 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2019, 09:55:15 AM »

So my wife and I had tickets to see Al Jardine tomorrow, but unfortunately a few days ago a I got a call from the venue that it was cancelled. And I've been noticing that nearly everything promoting it has been taken down on Al's website and Facebook and few other places, but it was never really confirmed that it is off. I suppose it is, but the whole thing seemed very random. I'm just posting on here to see if anybody knows what has happened.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:48:51 AM by Jim V. » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 09:57:17 AM »

I have no information, I'm sorry. I hope the tour is still on. I've got tickets for Annapolis next Sunday.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:53:39 AM »

Looking at Al's website the first date for the tour (after today's in Vegas) is given as Tuesday 23rd.

Annapolis is still on but there's no word about cancelled dates. Sad

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
delsboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 01:13:06 PM »

Major announcement coming Sad
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 01:40:10 PM »

...what are  we implying?
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 03:02:09 PM »

I guess he won't be honkin' down the highway on those dates.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 08:26:37 PM »

Isn't Brian still slated to go back out August 7th? I wonder if they're holding rehearsals/warm-ups over the next few weeks at some point since they didn't have the June dates.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 08:54:07 PM »

Isn't Brian still slated to go back out August 7th? I wonder if they're holding rehearsals/warm-ups over the next few weeks at some point since they didn't have the June dates.

Yes, the August dates are still on as far as I can see. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 09:50:35 PM »

So did the show tonight (7/23) happen?
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 04:20:38 AM »

I don't know if anyone else caught it, but there was some moron running around on Instagram and Youtube, claiming that Al had died. He(?) even had his username as "rip.aljardine" or some such nonsense...

Al posted a picture of himself with a calendar to his Instagram to debunk these rumors.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 06:30:00 AM »

So did the show tonight (7/23) happen?

Unlike the 7/21 shows, Al seems to have been publicizing in the last few days his gigs for 7/23 and 7/24, so I would assume the show last night did take place.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »

(Oops, posted in the wrong thread.)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 11:57:16 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 12:37:52 PM »

Short Setlist last night:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/al-jardine/2019/payomet-performing-arts-center-north-truro-ma-2b9e20ee.html
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »

Nice. 100% deep cuts!  Smokin

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »

Strange I'm not seeing anything listed on the site except Santa Ana winds
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 07:03:12 AM »

Strange I'm not seeing anything listed on the site except Santa Ana winds

I think that's the joke; clearly someone didn't get the full setlist but simply remembered Al did "Santa Ana Winds" at the gig. Unfortunately, setlist.fm allows these partial setlists.

As intriguing as it is to ponder the idea of Al doing a weird, eccentric show format where he does one song and then walks off stage, I'm guessing the show was similar to other recent shows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 11:04:20 AM »

I'm having visions of a 90-minute version of "Santa Ana Winds."  LOL
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:04:47 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »

As intriguing as it is to ponder the idea of Al doing a weird, eccentric show format where he does one song and then walks off stage, I'm guessing the show was similar to other recent shows.

I heard he came on, sang the one song, smashed his guitar onstage, then stormed off the stage while screaming at the audience "KEEP *THIS* CLEAN, MUTHAF*CKERS!"

Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 08:24:03 AM »

Can anyone explain why Al does a greatest hits show as opposed to more of a deep cuts type concert. This isn't a Beach Boys concert so why no "Lookin' at Tomorrow", "At My Window", "Don't Go Near the Water" etc..
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 09:44:46 PM »

Can anyone explain why Al does a greatest hits show as opposed to more of a deep cuts type concert. This isn't a Beach Boys concert so why no "Lookin' at Tomorrow", "At My Window", "Don't Go Near the Water" etc..
Same reason you don't hear Brian doing Melt Away,  Rio Grande, Orange Crate Art, Where Has Love Been, or She Says That She Needs Me.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 08:21:31 AM »

I don't disagree with the premise of your question, but just FYI Al performed a lovely version of Lookin' at Tomorrow when I saw him in NYC last year.

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 07:34:04 PM »

We caught his show when he was in town last year. I gotta say...I really, really liked it! I'd definitely check it out again. There was a hearty debate among audience members as to how old Carl was when he did his "God Only Knows" vocal, and Al had this "Oh, gawd, what did I get myself into?" look on his face!

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2019, 06:53:31 AM »

Al has done *some* relative deep cuts at his shows over the last two years. He has done "Lookin' at Tomorrow", as well as "Santa Ana Winds", "California Saga", "Vegetables", "Heroes and Villains", "A Postcard from California", "Surf's Up", "Don't Fight the Sea" (a couple times).

That being said, he's clearly formulating his setlist around "stories", so I think having a good story to go along with the song is part of what goes into the setlist selection process. Also, I think even at the "club gig" level, he feels people want to hear some recognizable "hits."

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2019, 06:55:41 AM »

We caught his show when he was in town last year. I gotta say...I really, really liked it! I'd definitely check it out again. There was a hearty debate among audience members as to how old Carl was when he did his "God Only Knows" vocal, and Al had this "Oh, gawd, what did I get myself into?" look on his face!

I wonder if this speaks to the age of the audience; in the age of Google and smart phones, even assuming nobody could off the cuff remember Carl's birth year and subtract 46 from 66 successfully, it would seem this could be Googled very quickly and confirmed.

Hopefully it just means people were polite and wouldn't whip out their phones!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2019, 07:06:12 AM »

Same reason you don't hear Brian doing Melt Away,  Rio Grande, Orange Crate Art, Where Has Love Been, or She Says That She Needs Me.

Solo songs (and solo-centric covers) Brian has done on his solo tours over the years (not including one-off selections, pre-1999 gigs, TV performances, nor full album performances such as "Lucky Old Sun" and Gershwin):

Love and Mercy
Melt Away
Let It Shine
This Could Be the Night
South American
Your Imagination
Lay Down Burden
The First Time
What I Really Want for Christmas
On Christmas Day
Christmasey
How Could Be Still Be Dancin'
City Blues
Soul Searchin'
Gettin' In Over My Head
Desert Drive
Walking Down the Path of Life
Runaway Dancer
Sail Away
The Right Time
One Kind of Love
Honeycomb
I'm Broke
Be My Baby
Keep a Knockin'

I'm probably forgetting a few, and I'm also not counting stuff like "This Isn't Love" that was technically done twice.

If you add TLOS and Gershwin, that's like 25 or so more songs added to that list.

Yes, he has certainly dug into the deep back catalog of solo material on fewer occasions, and he does little solo material today. But over 20 years, he's touched on his solo material a pretty decent amount, including forming two entire tours around a new solo album.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 07:08:07 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx