gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:09:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Live Action Photos in Summer 2019 ESQ  (Read 3534 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2019, 09:38:06 AM »

On pages 38 & 39 of the current ESQ (Daryl Dragon tribute issue), there are shots of the band at the Great Western Lincoln Express Festival on 5/28/72. Blondie is on bass, Ed Carter is playing the gold Les Paul, Al is playing a black Les Paul, Carl is playing a white Strat, Daryl is on the electric piano, and Mike is banging a tambourine. In the left background (especially in the first shot), we see Dennis Dragon on the percussion rig (congas & timbales), and in the right background of the second shot, we can just barely see Billy Hinsche (mostly obscured by Mike), on either the organ or the acoustic piano. Dennis Wilson is lurking in the background to the right. It's hard to tell from these black & white prints, but does anyone else think that Ed Carter might be using a slide on the Les Paul? It certainly seems possible, especially in the second shot. Likewise, does anyone else think Dennis might be banging a tambourine in the second shot? There's a kind of glare evident in his hand, similar to the tambourine glare in Mike's hand in the same shot.

Whenever I see a stage shot with an interesting or curious instrumental lineup like this, it always makes me wonder which particular song they might be playing. We know that Blondie mostly played guitar onstage, and only played bass on a few songs (mostly the more "sensitive" songs, according to him). This song appears to be an upbeat rocker. We know he played bass live on "Heroes And Villains", but for that song, Al always played a 12-string, and Carl always played his Gibson 335 (both of those instruments can be seen in the background, propped up against the amps). In the first shot, no one is singing, but in the second shot, it appears that Blondie and Mike are both singing.

Listening to the circulating tapes from the '72 Euro tour (Munich and Luxembourg - I think there's also one from Royal Festival Hall), the process of elimination tells me that this is "Here She Comes"! On these tapes, slide guitar and organ are both evident on this song, and even in later tapes from the summer U.S. tour, the song ends with an extended jam in which the Fender Rhodes is quite prominent - and whoever's playing it (likely Daryl) is obviously a master keyboardist. Plus, of course, Blondie sings lead on parts of this song (in this shot, Mike could be signing a low harmony part with him).

For you old Stomp!ers on the board, in issue #99 of that fanzine, there's a similar shot from Crystal Palace Bowl (Blondie on bass, Ed on Les Paul, Carl on the Strat), but in this shot, Al and Carl are both singing, Daryl is on the acoustic piano, and Dennis is hovering over the Fender Rhodes. Using a similar process, I believe I've identified THIS song as "Mess Of Help" - performances of that song on 1972 tapes reveal a prominent acoustic piano, and guitar playing that is more like Ed-like than Blondie-like. Plus, in the two video performances we've seen of this song - Old Grey Whistle Test and Brighton Dome Pavilion (both faked except for Carl's live lead on the Whistle Test), Blondie is playing bass (even though he's playing Les Paul on the faked Brighton Dome performance of "Don't Go Near The Water") and Dennis plays keyboards (in the Brighton Dome vid, Dennis is playing an electric piano, while in the Whistle Test vid, they are joined by Daryl on acoustic piano, while Dennis mans the organ). EDIT: based on AFM documentation and memories of a participant, there's a good chance that Billy Hinsche played organ on the studio versions of both "Mess Of Help" and "Here She Comes", so it would make sense that he would play those same organ parts onstage - which he appears to have done, since Daryl was on the acoustic and electric pianos, respectively, for those two songs in their live setting.

Whew! Now, if we could just determine which song they are playing in the shot on page 31 of the current ESQ (Carnegie Hall, March '72) where Daryl is on bass!

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 10:32:33 AM by c-man » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »

This the picture?

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/american-pop-group-the-beach-boys-performing-at-the-great-news-photo/157265065?adppopup=true
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 01:32:37 PM »

Yeah...damn, what's Dennis holding there? Almost looks like a Fourth of July firework - a Roman Candle! But the glare on Mike's tambourine is similar, so maybe it's a tambourine...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 02:18:45 PM »

After zoom in on on the photo, I'm about 99% certain that it is indeed a slide that Ed is using. I'm a big Allman Brothers fan, and I've studied tons of pictures of Duane Allman playing slide guitar. Using. A slide makes your finger appear to be a bit longer than normal. That might be a useful clue to use in the future.  Grin Now, a more interesting question(to me, at least) would be "Exactly what type of slide is it?" .

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 02:16:41 AM »

Ed might be playing a slide, or perhaps the photographer just caught him in the middle of a lick?

Blondie seems to be playing an A (or perhaps a D) on the fifth fret. Ed could be riffing around an A note (7th fret) on the D string. Carl is also playing around A (or D). It's a bit hard to tell from the photo because of the low resolution, but Al seems to be playing a really cramped C7, but that wouldn't fit with "Here She Comes" at all, and not with what the others are playing either! Or maybe he's going from an Am to something else? If so, it would fit with "Here She Comes" (the "Listen, listen, hear the music play" part).

All of these notes and chords - apart from Al's C7 (if that's what he's playing) - would fit with the key of the song, both with how it's played on the LP and live in 1972.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 04:03:21 AM by humanoidboogie » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 06:05:05 PM »

Wow! With you guys as detectives they would find Amelia Earhart’s plane in minutes!  LOL
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 02:57:54 AM »

Any idea what they may have eaten for breakfast that morning? Mike has been known to give off some strong Eggs Benedict vibes
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 03:08:17 AM »

Yeah...damn, what's Dennis holding there? Almost looks like a Fourth of July firework - a Roman Candle! But the glare on Mike's tambourine is similar, so maybe it's a tambourine...

Probably not a tambourine, 'cause you can see Dennis' fingers. If it was a tambourine parts of the fingers would be covered by it (compare with Mike's fingers in the picture). Whatever it is Dennis holds, it is more like a can in that he fully embraces the object with his hands.
Maybe a couple of Roman Candle's...?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 03:09:30 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 09:51:27 AM »

A beer (or soda pop) can would make sense...I wouldn't think it would give off that kind of a spark shower, but I suppose it depends on the lighting, exposure, etc.

Probably not a tambourine, 'cause you can see Dennis' fingers. If it was a tambourine parts of the fingers would be covered by it (compare with Mike's fingers in the picture). Whatever it is Dennis holds, it is more like a can in that he fully embraces the object with his hands.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 09:51:55 AM »

A beer (or soda pop) can would make sense...I wouldn't think it would give off that kind of a spark shower, but I suppose it depends on the lighting, exposure, etc.

astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 08:18:37 PM »

I took the pictures at the University Of Georgia on page 40. Guess there are no questions for me!

Cook pork throughly
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 11:56:49 PM »

I took the pictures at the University Of Georgia on page 40. Guess there are no questions for me!

Um, sure!  Which song is Toni playing the Fender Rhodes on? (page 42)
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »

I can not remember, but I had my cassette recorder on the stage recording the show!  Where that cassette is I wish I knew!!

Cook pork throughly
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx