gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:20:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark Doyle's instrumental rendition of "Still I Dream Of It"  (Read 1755 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2019, 02:59:14 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PN9vi1ruEI

A wonderful guitarist with a long resumé in rock, often compared with Jeff Beck when he first came up in the 70s, Mark Doyle has made a series of instrumental CDs over the past years that showcase his range as a guitarist and a wide-ranging fan of virtually all musical genres. Among the instrumental CDs are several in a series entitled GUITAR NOIR, all extremely enjoyable collections. His love of Brian Wilson is intense enough that he's placed several of BW's compositions that don't give off the stereotypical "noir vibe" into the song sequences, possibly as a reprieve from the darker sounds that are more associated with the genre. A highlight on his first GUITAR NOIR (from 1999) was a lovely version of "The Warmth of the Sun," and on GUITAR NOIR 2: IN DREAMS, he followed up with "Still I Dream Of It," a very beautiful, often crystalline take on a song whose killer melodies and chord changes aren't quite so breathtakingly prominent on Brian's original demo.

Hope you enjoy--be sure to check out more of Mark's other tracks available from these CDs on YouTube. I had the great pleasure of being in touch with Mark for a number of years and he's a nice a guy as he is a great musician--still rockin' at age 69. Would be fun to put him into the mix of that elusive BW "rock'n'roll album"...
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 06:49:51 PM »

Sorry, Don, but this, unfortunately, sounds nothing more than "muzak" and does not do anything to embellish or add Christmas lights to the existing original song.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 07:36:32 PM »

A different take on the song, OK by me! I dig it.

MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 12:14:42 AM »

Very nice
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 03:45:34 AM »

Sorry, Don, but this, unfortunately, sounds nothing more than "muzak" and does not do anything to embellish or add Christmas lights to the existing original song.

While I don't disagree with this, it's interesting to hear the song done in this style, as the average listener would presume they were listening to an interpretation of some great jazz standard -- which was indeed the musical level Brian was operating on here, long after he had supposedly dried up creatively. Unfortunately, the lyrics and singing on the demo and Adult Child versions are always going to be deal-breakers for the general audience.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 06:53:31 AM »

While I don't disagree with this, it's interesting to hear the song done in this style, as the average listener would presume they were listening to an interpretation of some great jazz standard -- which was indeed the musical level Brian was operating on here, long after he had supposedly dried up creatively. Unfortunately, the lyrics and singing on the demo and Adult Child versions are always going to be deal-breakers for the general audience.

Yeah, the production is not really my cup of tea, but I really like that other people see the the beauty in such an under-the-radar song, enough to make a cover of it. I really dig the guitar playing though! I wish there was a version with a less-MIDI sounding keyboard and no percussion.

For those who like this kind of guitar music, check out the album Guitar Noir by the Aqua Velvets.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx