gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:01:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeff Foskett  (Read 18522 times)
parlay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2019, 09:27:46 AM »

Is Jeff still playing with Mike’s Group or has he been ousted?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 09:31:29 AM »

He's missed some recent shows, including the whole European tour. Speculation is it's health-related. Hopefully temporary.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:31:58 AM by c-man » Logged
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 10:37:59 AM »

Apparently it’s related to throat surgery, wishing Jeff a speedy recovery!

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 11:42:59 PM »

Just got back from the "Beach Boys" / Ringo show at Ravinia. Jeff was there.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »

Just got back from the "Beach Boys" / Ringo show at Ravinia. Jeff was there.

Did he sing?
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 12:48:41 AM »

Far as I can tell, he didn't even open his mouth. He just kinda moseyed around the stage and played guitar.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 11:35:32 AM »

After reading about Jeff in the BB Tour thread and doing a quick search, I discovered this story from August.

https://www.vvdailypress.com/news/20190813/briellas-difficult-journey

Jeff, if you do read this, I’m sure the whole Beach Boys community is behind you and Briella at this difficult time. Stay strong.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 12:50:53 PM »

WOW, OMG. Prayers for Jeff, and Brieille
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 02:12:12 PM »

That's a different Jeff Foskett. His age is listed as 44; our Jeff is older. Still, praying for those folks in the story is a good thing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 07:08:36 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 03:26:51 PM »

Oh man. Face plant... Thud

Apologies, but that guy looks so much like him. Guess I should have read the story better. Sorry again.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 06:21:49 PM »

Jeff shouldn't waste time reading BBs forums - should instead improve the abysmal falsetto.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 08:28:04 PM »

While I prefer Ike, Matt, and Randell Kirsch's falsettos, I would NEVER call Jeff's falsetto anything less than spectacular (80's-2014), since around 2014, Jeff's fasletto has weakened noticibaly, but his mid-range voice was as strong as ever. I Saw him at Ravinia this summer with The Beach Boys, and his rhythm guitar added so much. Jeff is a great musician who can make any band sound better. His falsetto has weakened recently, but you have to take his health issues and age into consideration.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 04:17:33 AM »

Jeffs falsetto may have weakened but for anyone who questions his voice in general pick up some of his solo CDs they're really excellent. I actually have them all the music is quite enjoyable and his vocals are strong. Certainly recorded a long time ago but they're still great and I listen to often.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 09:53:12 AM »

It looks like based on videos and such that as has been mentioned Jeff has been supporting the Todd Rundgren/Micky Dolenz/Christopher Cross/etc. White Album tour shows or at least appeared as a guest the other night. According to Setlistfm. Al also joined them a few nights back but I find that hard to believe....

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/a-tribute-to-the-beatles-white-album-feat-rundgren-cross-dolenz-scheff-and-molland/2019/st-george-theater-staten-island-ny-b9da9aa.html
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »

Foskett was not ousted, 100% fact, he has sat in with the band a few times since 2019.  Jeff is approaching his mid 60's, maybe he wanted a break, who knows. 
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 10:21:35 AM »

I agree Jeff was definitely not "ousted"

He made a guest appearance at the Ravinia shows, and at the Sunday show, which I attended, The BB's show ended with Mike saying "Jeffrey Foskett Ladies & Gentlemen!" with Jeff taking a bow. Mike obviously has admiration for Jeff, and has been working with him since the 80's. Jeff's apparent departure from being a regular member of The Beach Boys is almost certainly health related.  A few years ago It was looking like, when the time comes, he might take the reins from Mike, but now who knows.
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 06:27:02 AM »

Solo album to be released on November 22:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y345qd9p

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y426mnws
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 06:33:52 AM by harrisonjon » Logged
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 06:58:51 AM »

Featuing the hit singles Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations and Warmth of the Sun! :D
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 10:49:49 AM »

Featuing the hit singles Wouldn't It Be Nice, Good Vibrations and Warmth of the Sun! :D

God bless him, but I can't think of a single Good Vibrations cover that hasn't been painfully inferior to the original.  Change my mind.

Love Jeff's work, though.  For me, his take on "Everything I Need" is the definitive version of that latter-day Wilson-Asher tune.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 01:40:13 PM »

Check this out, great tune from Jeff from Cool and Gine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg0Q9bEwguM
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 09:35:02 PM »

Well deserved praise for Jeff Foskett from the Amazon listing for his forthcoming CD:

What a thrill it was to hear Jeff singing “Adios" with his unique, plaintiff voice. Seems to fit the song perfectly. Jeff is in many ways an unsung hero - the man in the back of the band who is meticulously teaching background parts including phrasing dynamics and all the subtleties to background singers. I remember he got David Crosby, Carly Simon and myself together to sing “In My Room”. He taught us the parts in about ten minutes. Great teacher and vocal arranger. So wonderful to see his long overdue solo record. —Jimmy Webb

I remember the first time I heard Jeffrey’s voice - standing beside him sharing a live mic, singing harmonies. Flawless pitch, in the pocket, completely committed to the performance. His voice a perfect instrument. An experience I’ve been lucky to have many times. — Robert Lamm (Chicago)

Jeffrey Foskett has been a close friend and peer for decades whom I respect immensely for his incredible voice and musical sensibilities. Our band, America, has worked with and sang with him in every capacity from live touring together with The Beach Boys since the 70's, to recording beautiful background vocals on many of our recordings, to actually occasionally filling in for band members if needed. He is a great vocal arranger and seems to effortlessly add beautiful vocal parts to any song. I particularly marvel at the work he did with me on the Brian Wilson song, Caroline No, for our Back Pages project in 2012. There are precious few singers who equal the voice of Jeffrey Foskett. — Dewey Bunnell (America)

It didn't take years of touring together with the beach boys to discover what was glaringly apparent from day one. Jeff is a talent of immeasurable beauty. There are voices & then there are VOICES. Who can sing higher? Who is the most expressive? We all have a list of qualities we listen for. Very rarely does someone combine them all to create something truly signature. Jeff's is such a voice. We have been fortunate to sing, work & play together for forty years. As he's heard me say many times... Jeff is one of my favorite people on the planet. — Gerry Beckley (America)

My dear friend Jeff Foskett has brought his unique voice and production skills, honed from years with the Beach Boys to create his own take on some classics that show the breadth of his talents. Carl would be proud xxx — Christopher Cross

Knowing Jeff Foskett since he was a student at UCSB and had a band called Reverie, throughput the years he has been a vocal blessing to all of us. Whether it be The Beach Boys, Brian Wilson and his band, or The Endless Summer Beach Band; so many variations and so many groups have been blessed to have him be an integral member. Not only are all the accolades true regarding Jeff’s vocal range and abilities, but the thing that makes him special is the fact that he is tremendously giving, loving, and a person who never fails to be of service to others. I am delighted that his vocal talents are showcased on this album and I’m forever grateful for his friendship, and the blessing of his talents. — Mike Love

Jeff’s voice is one of the top five greatest voices I’ve ever heard, because of the way he expresses himself. It blows me away. — Brian Wilson

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 04:03:47 PM »

Well deserved praise for Jeff Foskett from the Amazon listing for his forthcoming CD:

What a thrill it was to hear Jeff singing “Adios" with his unique, plaintiff voice. Seems to fit the song perfectly. Jeff is in many ways an unsung hero - the man in the back of the band who is meticulously teaching background parts including phrasing dynamics and all the subtleties to background singers. I remember he got David Crosby, Carly Simon and myself together to sing “In My Room”. He taught us the parts in about ten minutes. Great teacher and vocal arranger. So wonderful to see his long overdue solo record. —Jimmy Webb

I remember the first time I heard Jeffrey’s voice - standing beside him sharing a live mic, singing harmonies. Flawless pitch, in the pocket, completely committed to the performance. His voice a perfect instrument. An experience I’ve been lucky to have many times. — Robert Lamm (Chicago)

Jeffrey Foskett has been a close friend and peer for decades whom I respect immensely for his incredible voice and musical sensibilities. Our band, America, has worked with and sang with him in every capacity from live touring together with The Beach Boys since the 70's, to recording beautiful background vocals on many of our recordings, to actually occasionally filling in for band members if needed. He is a great vocal arranger and seems to effortlessly add beautiful vocal parts to any song. I particularly marvel at the work he did with me on the Brian Wilson song, Caroline No, for our Back Pages project in 2012. There are precious few singers who equal the voice of Jeffrey Foskett. — Dewey Bunnell (America)

It didn't take years of touring together with the beach boys to discover what was glaringly apparent from day one. Jeff is a talent of immeasurable beauty. There are voices & then there are VOICES. Who can sing higher? Who is the most expressive? We all have a list of qualities we listen for. Very rarely does someone combine them all to create something truly signature. Jeff's is such a voice. We have been fortunate to sing, work & play together for forty years. As he's heard me say many times... Jeff is one of my favorite people on the planet. — Gerry Beckley (America)

My dear friend Jeff Foskett has brought his unique voice and production skills, honed from years with the Beach Boys to create his own take on some classics that show the breadth of his talents. Carl would be proud xxx — Christopher Cross

Knowing Jeff Foskett since he was a student at UCSB and had a band called Reverie, throughput the years he has been a vocal blessing to all of us. Whether it be The Beach Boys, Brian Wilson and his band, or The Endless Summer Beach Band; so many variations and so many groups have been blessed to have him be an integral member. Not only are all the accolades true regarding Jeff’s vocal range and abilities, but the thing that makes him special is the fact that he is tremendously giving, loving, and a person who never fails to be of service to others. I am delighted that his vocal talents are showcased on this album and I’m forever grateful for his friendship, and the blessing of his talents. — Mike Love

Jeff’s voice is one of the top five greatest voices I’ve ever heard, because of the way he expresses himself. It blows me away. — Brian Wilson

A beautiful tribute to Jeff's talents. Thanks so much.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2019, 12:36:53 PM »

Jeffrey Foskett Shares 'Voices,' Possibly His Last Album As a Singer

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8544409/jeffrey-foskett-premieres-voices

TL;DR: The longtime Beach Boys and Brian Wilson collaborator was diagnosed with Anaplastic thyroid cancer during early 2018. Surgeries and treatments have robbed him of one of his vocal cords and, essentially, the versatile voice with the soaring upper register that helped add authenticity to any harmonic situation he encountered.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2019, 01:23:23 PM »

Was that diagnosis previously known by the general public? This is the first time I remember hearing of it. What a shame.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2019, 01:38:57 PM »

OMG, I totally missed the article about Briella. So sad. Sad

(Totally missed the thing about that article being about a different Jeff Foskett. The giveaway that should have tipped me off: I'm certainly NOT older than the BB/BW/PDRR Jeff Foskett!)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:00:41 PM by 37!ws » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx