gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:19:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vote for a ORANGE CRATE ART vinyl release  (Read 5846 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2019, 10:02:50 AM »

http://www.runoutgroovevinyl.com

Run Out Groove is a vinyl reissue label (a division of Rhino/Warner) that lets fans vote among 3 titles to decide their next release. Orange Crate Art is one of this month’s candidates. Vote away folks! The website says it would be the first time the album would be available on vinyl.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:04:23 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
SBonilla
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 01:28:31 PM »

I'd vote for it, but I wouldn't buy it.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 01:41:10 PM »

Voted for Orange Crate Art. Not a fan of The Walkmen on vinyl.

Edit: edited typos
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:33:07 AM by humanoidboogie » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 02:12:27 PM »

Voted for OCA. That is a really interesting website! Thanks for sharing!

I so very badly wish that VDPs would do a re-do of this album. I think all of these songs are friggin great, but man Brian's vocals just aren't the best, and some of the instrumentals (I believe there was digital synth orchestration used on some of the tracks?) are pretty dated. His Live At The Ash Grove album is exactly what I'd want to see with a remake of OCA - and possibly get some guest vocalists who would do justice to the music. Even get Brian back for a song or two. Just a thought.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »

Voted. Thanks for the notification. Bonus: I don't own a copy of this album, so this'll give me a reason to get it, if it wins.
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 12:09:10 PM »

This is an easy yes!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 01:40:51 PM »

Will it or any other titles be remastered to analog from the masters, which are digital,  or will it just be ripping a fully digital project to a disc cutting lathe and doing a vinyl pressing?

I don't see the point to pressing vinyl from all digital sources, it's a novelty item more or less. IMO.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 03:22:32 PM »

I love this album, love Brian's vocals on it, too. A long way from those croaky vocals on 15BO and BBLY. If this gets the vinyl treatment, I may have to get that vinyl IJWMFTT that came out a few years ago, too.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 01:12:54 AM »

I prefer Brian's vocals here than on JGOMH. on that last one, all is horrible!
Bud Shaver
Smiley Smile Associate

Let Us Go On This Way

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 01:43:02 AM »

I love this album! An easy YES from me, too.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 09:17:10 AM »

Brian's vocal stacks on this album are great; it's a huge part of what makes this album enjoyable. Some of the most intricate vocal arrangements he's done, certainly in his "solo" era.

Rather than a rattled off vinyl reissue (which indeed could well end up being cut from a digital source, meaning the main draw is getting nice 12x12 cover art), this set needs a deluxe "Legacy Edition" style reissue on CD.

There's at least one relevant bonus track, "What A Wonderful World" (which, I know, isn't actually technically an "OCA" outtake but recorded by Brian for his wedding, supposedly), and they could hopefully fix a thing or two (supposedly/allegedly, the album "accidentally" used a rough/guide vocal performance for "Hold Back Time"), and include some vocals-only mixes. And who knows if there are actual outtakes that we don't even know about. I doubt there are many, if any, but who knows?

I think the album would get a nice little reassessment if it was reissued and plugged by Brian's and VDP's social media channels.

And *then* do all the vinyl they want too.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:18:37 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 07:39:18 PM »

https://twitter.com/thevandykeparks/status/1149367690907099136?s=21

Van Dyke votes no, apparently.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 09:15:01 PM »

I want the vinyl. There's a gap in my BBs/BW vinyl collection between BW88  and GIOMH. Sure, do a digital release, too, with bonus tracks. And what's up with VDP? Still pissed off at BW or MW?
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 11:59:17 PM »

He says that he's in talks with another label for a re-release of OCA, apparently both vinyl and digital.

It'd be fun to have a vinyl copy--the feel of the collection really does suggest that it should be on an LP like the old days. An expanded version would be welcome as well. Still think "San Francisco" is one of his best, a little bit reminiscent of SMiLE stuff.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 01:14:10 PM »

Voted for OCA. That is a really interesting website! Thanks for sharing!

I so very badly wish that VDPs would do a re-do of this album. I think all of these songs are friggin great, but man Brian's vocals just aren't the best, and some of the instrumentals (I believe there was digital synth orchestration used on some of the tracks?) are pretty dated. His Live At The Ash Grove album is exactly what I'd want to see with a remake of OCA - and possibly get some guest vocalists who would do justice to the music. Even get Brian back for a song or two. Just a thought.

Nailed it. The worst part of this album is the production. It was dated the day it came out. They are beautiful songs and Brian sounds fantastic.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »

And what's up with VDP? Still pissed off at BW or MW?

Has he said anything about BW or MW recently?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 01:39:08 AM »

GREAT album.  Hugely under-rated.  I have it on CD.  Vinyl?  Why not?  I don't need it but everyone should have access to own it in the format of their choice.  Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 05:54:40 AM »

VDP and BW rule!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 10:10:31 AM »

Looks like Orange Crate Art lost out to With These Hands by Alejandro Escovedo in the Run Out Groove poll. Good news for VDP’s planned reissue I suppose.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 10:13:46 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 09:58:06 PM »

Looks like Orange Crate Art lost out to With These Hands by Alejandro Escovedo in the Run Out Groove poll. Good news for VDP’s planned reissue I suppose.
Yeah, if that's what it means. This album is long overdue for the vinyl treatment. And then Imagination.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx