gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:59:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mark Linett's "upcoming announcement"  (Read 26160 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2019, 11:52:26 AM »

Stay tuned for an upcoming announcement.... Mark

This flew under the radar.

Any news? what could it possibly be.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 12:16:52 PM »

That did kinda fly under the radar, didn't it?

They don't officially announce copyright sets (far in advance), right? Same for the Live copyright releases we have gotten in past years. And (completely guessing here) possibly Mark is involved with the new "Long Promised Road" documentary (mastering tunes or mixing Brian's newly recorded songs), but I don't think he would be the one to make any announcements about that...

So, if I had to take a guess:It's a Sunflower boxset. We're right on the cusp of the anniversary of this very special album - while I don't think Sunflower did as well as 20/20 or Friends on the charts, Sunflower has gained cultural popularity over the years...placing itself in Rolling Stone's top 200 albums of all time list, as well as other lists. Musicians/artists talk about how revolutionary a song like "All I Wanna Do" was. There is absolute gold on this album, and it wouldn't take much for a marketing agent at Capitol Records to turn up on the hype to market such a boxset to the public.

That is my best guess. I am probably completely wrong Grin whatever the announcement is, I am sure it will be something pretty special.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 01:36:08 PM »

I’d be down for a Sunflower set

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »

Here too!  Grin

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 03:04:39 PM »

I'm expecting it to be a sunflower box set and I get shivers just thinking about it.

Needs to be a psychical release.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 03:47:41 PM »

Love sunflower so I hope that's true
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 06:27:58 PM »

I'm expecting it to be a sunflower box set and I get shivers just thinking about it.

I hope it’s a physical release but psychical would be cool too.  Is that where they just transmit it directly into our brains?   Smiley
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:28:24 PM by marcella27 » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 06:37:18 PM »

From the RS story back in January.

What sort of archival stuff are we looking at for the near future? Do you have anything on deck?

Linett: Well, we’d love to do some projects that focus on the first albums they did for their own label, Brother Records. Because in 1969 they started laying down tracks, some of which found themselves on Sunflower. Some of them were intended for a possible last album with Capitol that never came out. And, you know, there was a single, “Breakway,” that came out that year, too. So I guess we’ll start talking with the label soon about plans for the next round.

....So yes, Sunflower sounds probable.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »

My favorite BB's album. Hope for a physical release here too...such a disappointment on the download only crap from '68.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 08:29:22 PM »

I hope it’s a physical release but psychical would be cool too.  Is that where they just transmit it directly into our brains?   Smiley

I’m f***ed then... I already got a virus:lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 07:05:37 AM »

I hope it’s a physical release but psychical would be cool too.  Is that where they just transmit it directly into our brains?   Smiley

Perhaps a psychical release (of Sunflower) would cure that. Undecided
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 07:35:40 AM »

physical please;.. physical... with a beautiful booklet!
SBonilla
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 11:01:28 AM »

Stay tuned for an upcoming announcement.... Mark

This flew under the radar.

Any news? what could it possibly be.

My bet would be a soundtrack for the upcoming documentary.
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »

My favorite BB's album. Hope for a physical release here too...such a disappointment on the download only crap from '68.

Hmm, I thought the download-only releases served just fine -- better than fine -- perfect. But hey, guess I'm just modern as heck

Still, that debate isn't quite key here. I'm wondering what this announcement is, and hoping it's a summer thing. Logic says a December release wouldn't be
advertised as early as summertime, I think.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:41:33 AM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »

Download is the only way some of that stuff is ever going to happen. Less overhead. We wouldn't have the HOURS of copyright extension stuff if they stuck to physical-only. How many hours of the "Live" 1968 stuff did they put out, and how many discs would that have taken? All for mostly the same setlist over and over. That's the *perfect* venue for digital releases.

For those into the audiophile aspect of it, I believe most if not all of these digital releases have also been relased in high-rez.

There's still a market for select physical releases, perhaps in the form of larger "deluxe" boxed sets.

But after all these years, where we're at the point where CDs are niche items at this point (even big box retailers like Target and even places like Barnes & Noble are *this* close to completely doing away with their CD sections), and frankly even *purchased downloads* are a bit antiquated in comparison to the swaths that stick solely to Spotify, we're long past the stage of expecting niche archival releases to *all* be released on CD.

Again, I expect we'll see some fancy deluxe BB physical releases (and CD, not just vinyl, which is mostly a marketing/collectible gimmick at this point) for select larger-scope archival projects.

"Sunshine Tomorrow" was actually a pretty good model. If they have something to hang a more mainstream physical release on, they can put out essentially a "first wave" of physical product, and then follow it up with HOURS of supplemental material digitally.

There is a great team in there working on this stuff now. Linett, Boyd, Edelson, and Jerry Schilling as well. We've gotten a TON of stuff just in 2017 and 2018 covering 1967/68/69, when we could have been faced with exclusively more of the "Sounds of Summer II: No, Really, It's Still Summer!!!" comps.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 11:51:53 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »

Hmm, I thought the download-only releases served just fine -- better than fine -- perfect. But hey, guess I'm just modern as heck.

I halfway agree with you here. ALL of my boxsets have ended up in a box somewhere (even my absolute favorite set: the SMiLE set) - at this point I don't even know where they are...yikes! Also, the MIC set kinda bummed me out - the way the CDs are held it's obvious that if you pulled them in and out enough the CDs would easily scratch (unlike a plastic CD case), and my book is now warped in the back where the CDs go (just the one side, I'm thinking its just the way the book was put together). I get that some audiophiles want physical CDs. But frankly I can't even tell the difference between Apple's AAC digital streaming and FLAC for the most part. I personally don't need a physical CD to enjoy this music.

Honestly, the only time I get excited about a physical boxset anymore is if it comes with a vinyl or a book that is full of great pictures and content (ie, the SMiLE boxset). I love my physical sets but I don't need them. I'm perfectly happy with just the music.

However, my dream Sunflower set would consist of:

- One remastered vinyl LP
- Three compact discs (with digital download code)
     - disc one: original released album remastered and the Stephen Desper mix,
     - disc two: a cappella, instrumental tracks (with session tracks like the Pet Sounds Sessions set),
     - disc three: demos, outtakes, live versions.
- One 50 page book with pictures from the Sunflower cover photoshoot, interviews with the band, a 3 page essay about the recording of the album by Stephen Desper, etc.

All in a slim boxset package. I would buy it.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2019, 12:09:40 PM »

If I were designing a boxed set, I'd nix the vinyl component (they can still release that separately), and probably nix a remastered original album mix *only if* it meant more unreleased material could take its place.

"Sunflower" has already had a bunch of CD/SACD releases (1990 Caribou CD, 2000 Capitol CD, 2012 Capitol CD, and the Audio Fidelity CD/SACD hybrid).

Lots of CDs, and copious liner notes, essays, recording notes, and photos in a nice book. And a DVD if they can scrounge up enough video/film material to make it worth it. Which probably isn't the case for early 70s-era BBs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2019, 12:35:20 PM »

Perhaps a psychical release (of Sunflower) would cure that. Undecided

Try to add some music to your day

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2019, 12:48:06 PM »

I think it would have been worth the time to widdle the massive download of 1968 material to a two-disc set like "Sunshine Tomorrow"...then perhaps include a download card for "additional performances" since it is nearly the same setlist each time.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2019, 01:03:09 PM »

I think it would have been worth the time to widdle the massive download of 1968 material to a two-disc set like "Sunshine Tomorrow"...then perhaps include a download card for "additional performances" since it is nearly the same setlist each time.

On top of this, making a sample set for streaming services (like the Bob Dylan bootleg series does) so people are more compelled to buy the sets. At the very least, make the album available on iTunes but not on streaming services for at least 2 months after release. There are complaints/worries that streaming is killing the likelihood of future releases, when, in my opinion, the record company can easily force fans to buy these sets.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2019, 05:49:13 PM »

Do we really want albums drip fed every year?

Think big. Brother Records Box Series!  Shocked
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2019, 06:18:13 PM »

That'd be ace

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 06:20:33 AM »

I don't think the profit margin would have worked out on that. A 2-CD live '68 set wouldn't have even charted, and they'd be giving away that entire '68 live series of shows for the price of a 2-CD set. The digital download cost *more* than a 2-CD set. Their overhead would be significantly *higher* doing a physical release, and they'd be charging *less* per set since the digital release would have to be the same price as the 2-CD set.

The live '68 stuff is great, but apart from the London stuff (which obviously is almost a carbon copy of the "Live in London" album), the rest of it is taken not from multi-tracks but from live soundboard mono (or stereo, I can't recall) sources. In other words, they sound good, but have their limitations. That's not the type of material to do a prestige physical release. A huge cache of very similar '68 shows is the *perfect* example of where it makes sense to do a big digital-only release.

I suspect the main area where we'd see physical releases of any live material in the future would be either single, more famous shows (Carnegie Hall, or Paramount '93, etc.), or larger deluxe sets covering their entire career or, *maybe*, specific themes (e.g. a "4th of July" set).

My thinking was that, if they ever wanted to open up the "Digital Archive" further on live material, beyond the yearly copyright extension releases, a good way to do it would be to do a nice 5-CD (give or take) set featuring an overview of rare live shows spanning the early 60s through to 1997 or so (plus 2012), and then kick off a "Live Archive" where they'd release a few shows per month digitally.

The studio '68 sets would have been higher profile releases than the live stuff, and *those* didn't get a physical release. I think BRI and Capitol/UMe have to really pick and choose very strategic items to do as physical releases given the current market climate. I'd rather see them do digital releases with much cheaper overheard so they're not soured on releases when they don't sell a ton, and then that way when we do get a bigger prestige item like a potential "1970" ish boxed set, they might be able to jump into a more expensive, deluxe boxed set where there is a lot of overhead, but they're also more likely to bring in more money per fan from the major fan base via buying the larger boxed set.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 06:31:23 AM »

Do we really want albums drip fed every year?

Think big. Brother Records Box Series!  Shocked

I've always advocated for a larger archival program so that we don't have to wait until 2030 for KTSA outtakes. Like, the band members would literally be headed towards 95 years old by the time they got to BB '85.

That being said, we've gotten a pretty epic "drip feed" since 2017 especially. We got essentially around *four* discs of '67 studio outtakes in 2017, around *four more* discs worth of 1968/69 studio outtakes in 2018, plus many discs worth of a huge dump of presumably nearly all extant 1968 live recordings.

I think they can and should do strategic deluxe physical CD boxed sets with swag (nice books, etc.), but they can't really go much bigger on an individual set than something the size of "Made in California" or "The Smile Sessions", meaning 5-6 CDs or so. Once we start getting into big 25-CD boxed sets, even many hardcore completist fans will be priced out of it.

I think the best way to go would be to continue the "Copyright Extension" releases, and really then to mainly just *accelerate* and *broaden* the digital release schedule, doing more digital studio sets and at some point not waiting for the 50-year mark, and then also opening up the live archive for digital audio releases (and perhaps some video material as well, though costs there are significantly higher to get sync rights for the songs).

In the midst of an epic, sweeping archival release program, they could continue targeted, strategic truly "Deluxe" physical boxed sets highlighting the best and most noteworthy material. Beyond early 70s material, I think they could target a few other deluxe boxed sets. A Brian "Bedroom Tapes" set (using that term *very* broadly) could be viable. And a few others.

PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 06:36:54 AM »

Alan and Mark ought to chuck into a Sunflower Box Set the '70 Country Album, that is if there will be one. It's an entire album of unreleased 70s backing tracks, with some vocals.

The only difficulty with this, is that Fred is quite adamant that it should be done in Nashville, and done properly, which is fair. Surely that's not an issue
for M&A, if they're serious about Brian's music, which of course they absolutely are -- no doubts there! Smiley

But I suspect that if Fred's not encouraged, he'll never see it through, as he's even said that perhaps it's best left a mystery album in the Brian canon, which I
find completely unthinkable. One of the points to these releases, is for some fairness to the Beach Boys, some justice I suppose.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:43:36 AM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx