gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:46:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lonely Days - what's on the master tape?  (Read 1235 times)
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2019, 01:59:23 AM »

Calling all Beach Boys scholars! Lonely Days is a real gem and one of the biggest pleasant surprises for me when Hawthorne, CA was released. If I'm correct, we now have the following versions and bits and pieces:

Lonely Days (on Unsurpassed Masters, Vol. 19, hidden within various Cool, Cool Water recordings) – 1:24
Lonely Days (on Hawthorne, CA) – 0:52
Lonely Days (Alternate Version) (on 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow) – 1:45
Lonely Days (Session Highlight and Track) (on 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow 2 – The Studio Sessions) – 3:14

It seems to me like the version on Hawthorne, CA is the truest representation of what's on the master tape as it has a cold ending complete with stray organ notes, while the 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow version is more of an obvious cut and paste job.

Then there's the material on 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow 2 – The Studio Sessions which seems to include a couple of rehearsals/run throughs of the song. This doesn't overlap with the rehearsals on Unsurpassed Masters, Vol. 19.

Also, there's some interesting studio chatter on the Sea Of Tunes CD:

Bruce (?): Aaah...
Carl: I'm sorry. I gotta get used to it, Brian. f***! Gimme a chance.

Brian: We can't cut it without a fucking rhythm section.

The "Track" on 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow 2 – The Studio Sessions has an additional and unique section (with tom fills) that's not found elsewhere. Where did that come from? Could it be an additional edit piece recorded separately later on the tape? Or was it always part of the original recording but edited out for Hawthorne, CA and 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow as there weren't any vocals recorded for that section? Why wasn't that instrumental part included on 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow (which to my ears sound like the backing track repeated twice, once with vocals, once without)?

Wow, that's a lot of text about pretty much nothing.  Shocked

Anyway, my question is: how might the original master tape sound prior to the cutting and pasting?
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 04:06:26 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:58:39 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx