gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:32:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson / Zombie dates??  (Read 2918 times)
delsboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2019, 04:47:57 AM »

My wife and I have tickets to the Vegas show. Are these on, any news from Brian's camp??

I know he got his problems, but a little consideration for the fam would be nice.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 09:12:26 AM »

I know he got his problems, but a little consideration for the fam would be nice.

Seriously?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »

He(?) has a point. Brian's official website doesn't offer any answers to what's going on. The most important thing is Brian and his health, but fans are being left on the hook, so to speak.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:02 AM »

True, but that wording seemed a bit insensitive.

Per Brian's site (and Ticketmaster as well) the show is still on. Seems like any shows that were going to be cancelled or rescheduled have already been done so.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 11:52:50 AM »

Well, the "official" word is pretty clear: Only the June dates were nixed (some since rescheduled). Everything from this point on according to the schedule is still "on" as far as anybody knows.

I suppose if more dates end up being canceled, fans will have a more legitimate gripe (or at least a legit valid question) as to whether they're scheduling these dates/keeping these dates with enough foresight into the likelihood of more cancellations.

Certainly, if for instance Brian ended up cancelling the remaining tour dates this year (which, if he needs it, should absolutely be done), I think fans and spectators would have legitimate cause to question whether, mere weeks after the announcement of June dates being nixed, they should have continued to schedule *more* dates for 2019 beyond what had already been scheduled.

Ultimately, fans will always be able to get refunds if shows are canceled.

I'd also say that any artist that starts to show a pattern of booking and then cancelling shows does so at their own professional peril; venues/agents/promoters will start to shy away from bookings if there is an established pattern of booking shows, selling tickets, and then canceling (especially at the eleventh hour).

But I think in this case we really have to wait until the next set of dates start rolling around before we start making epic prognostications or judgements about what's going on with booking shows. If further problems arise, there will always be *plenty* of time to hash that out, complain, vent, express concern, and so on.

My gut back when the June announcement was made was firmly in the "I woudln't be surprised if some or all of the remaining dates end up being canceled", and thus I was quite surprised to see, in June, *additional* shows being booked beyond what was already on the schedule. So I'm now pretty firmly in the "I have no idea what's going to happen" mindset. I suppose I'd hesitate if I were considering buying tickets, though I'd really hesitate mainly only if it involved extraneous expenses beyond ticket price that can't be refunded, meaning mainly travel expenses. If it's just a question of ticket price, then you'll get your money back if the shows are canceled.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:54:31 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
delsboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 12:37:23 PM »

In answer to Billy C specifically, the answer is YES "seriously", don't play this you care more about Brian Wilson  than anybody else BS.
And don't try to shame me in public! WE all make business decisions, including BW.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 12:55:27 PM »

In answer to Billy C specifically, the answer is YES "seriously", don't play this you care more about Brian Wilson  than anybody else BS.
And don't try to shame me in public! WE all make business decisions, including BW.

For your information, I did take offense to what you said, as it was extremely insensitive.  I have seen first-hand the toll mental illness can take on a person. I'm sorry you found it to be "BS"  .

As for the rest...both myself and HeyJude answered.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:39:33 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 06:23:23 PM »

In answer to Billy C specifically, the answer is YES "seriously", don't play this you care more about Brian Wilson  than anybody else BS.

As Hey Jude noted, the shows are still on...if they are cancelled or postponed, you’ll be informed by the venue.  That’s how it works.  I’ve had tickets to two Brian shows end up being cancelled.  One was this last round of cancellations, the other was last spring when shows were cancelled due to him having back surgery.   I got an email from the venues as soon as the decision to cancel was made.  Again, that’s how it works.  As far as your comment about fans being left in the dark, I totally disagree.  We’ve actually had a very frank statement from Brian about the reason the early summer dates were cancelled.

Also, I have to say...if you buy tickets to see a performer in his late 70s with what are quite frankly legendary health issues, you have to accept a little uncertainty.  People get sick.  People who are 76 YEARS OLD sometimes get sick and might have to cancel a show/tour.  It comes with the territory.  Come on, man, have some perspective. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 06:45:44 PM »

As Hey Jude noted, the shows are still on...if they are cancelled or postponed, you’ll be informed by the venue.  That’s how it works.  I’ve had tickets to two Brian shows end up being cancelled.  One was this last round of cancellations, the other was last spring when shows were cancelled due to him having back surgery.   I got an email from the venues as soon as the decision to cancel was made.  Again, that’s how it works.  As far as your comment about fans being left in the dark, I totally disagree.  We’ve actually had a very frank statement from Brian about the reason the early summer dates were cancelled.

Also, I have to say...if you buy tickets to see a performer in his late 70s with what are quite frankly legendary health issues, you have to accept a little uncertainty.  People get sick.  People who are 76 YEARS OLD sometimes get sick and might have to cancel a show/tour.  It comes with the territory.  Come on, man, have some perspective. 

Exactly.

Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 07:42:25 AM »

Brian has outlived over half of all men of his year of birth by making it to 77. That's a very nice accomplishment for a man who has had trouble with health over the years. I hope he has many more years left to enjoy!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 12:04:56 PM »

In fairness to fans contemplating buying tickets and paying for non-refundable travel expenses, I think the current state of affairs with Brian is past the level of a "little uncertainty." He has actually *very rarely* canceled performances in his 20 years touring solo. Axl Rose in his prime walked out on more shows than Brian ever has. So, recent developments are in the literal sense somewhat extraordinary.

The recent tours where Brian has clearly struggled, and especially the only gig he did this year in May which even the most forgiving fan has to admit was a challenged performance, coupled with the eleventh hour abrupt cancellation of June dates, is a something more than simply the general "older folks could have a problem at any time" frame of mind one might take on any shows featuring aging groups.

However, a fan who is aware of these issues then has enough information to decide whether they want to pick up tickets to upcoming shows. If someone asked me advice, I'd have to be honest and say *I* probably wouldn't put out any non-refundable money in anticipation of an upcoming Brian show. I hope he does more gigs if he can and wants to, and if he can't or doesn't want to, I'm fine if he takes more time off.

But folks handing over hard-earned money to see Brian aren't a non-factor in these situations.

That all being said, I think again we have to see what happens in the next few months. If we see more cancellations, and especially if we see more cancellations and then continued *new* bookings after that, then I think there would be legitimate gripes from the fan/consumer perspective.

But again, I'm sure Brian and his camp are well aware that the more times they scrub tours, especially at the last minute, the harder it will be to get bookings in the future, and the harder it will be to get fans to invest in buying tickets.

The real chance-takers are the people buying tickets to the *first* show. While anything could happen at any time during a tour, I suspect a lot of fans will be more comfortable with the likelihood of future shows once he's started doing shows again.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx