gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
648528 Posts in 25940 Topics by 3701 Members - Latest Member: Little E. Honda July 15, 2019, 11:23:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike The Melody Maker  (Read 1711 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »

Yeah, dont forget about Mike playing the sax and how he tragically lost it after a show in the 1960s and he was unable to ever get a new one until it was returned to him 50 years later, that very same instrument, which he affectionately called "That stupid piece of sh*t", lovingly. He loved practicing that sax for hours and hours everyday. And boy, he was gifted at it -- some said he was on the road to being one of the greatest sax players ever, in fact John Coltrane once told Charlie Parker that if Mike-the-sax-prodigy kept getting better at the same speed that he had been that within a few years they would be out of jobs because Mike Love's Jazz band was going to one of the greatest jazz trios the world had ever seen, and that Mike had told them secretly he was going to stop being the lead singer of the Beach Boys so he could explore avant garde Jazz with his beloved sax....That he and that sax had a bond stronger than anyone could imagine and in fact, he no longer cared for the company of women, only wanted to practice his sax all day and night. Unfortunately when it was somehow left behind after a beach boys gig (some people think Carl intentionally didnt load it onto the tour bus on the hopes it would stop Mike from leaving the Beach Boys to become a full time sax player) he was so heart broken, he could not find a replacement for his dear sax and quit saxophone all together. Everytime he went to the music store to look for a new one he broke down crying and screaming "youre not my sax! youre not my sax!" And thus, Mike's career as saxophone genius was unfortunately cut short and also he stayed in the Beach Boys for the next 50 years. Carls plan worked.

In fact, for the next 50 years he kept touring the country in the same venues every year hoping to eventually find his sax he left behind. Some people think he toured heavily for money or fame or adulation, but in actuality he was hoping that he might, however small the chance, be reunited with his First Love (in fact, the album title refers to the love had for his sax) And when he finally did a few years back, he was so excited he made a 5 sentence facebook post about it. He could hardly contain his joy.

Some people think the biggest "What If" in a career of "What Ifs" concerning the Beach Boys is what if Smile had been released when it was originally planned or what if Brian never went into Landys care the second time? But for me, I wonder just how incredible Mike could've been on the sax had he not lost it that fateful night in 1965. Would he have completely redefined the limits of what was possible with the instrument? Would Jazz be main stream now instead of Rock? Would Mike be considered the genius now instead of Brian? So many questions we will never know the answer to....if only....if only....

LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
The Dr. of Wilsonomics
Global Moderator

🍦🍦My daughter and I -23 Dec 2018 ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2019, 04:29:23 PM »

Some times it was Rob, sometimes it was Dean . Scott did the vocal melody and harmonic  arrangements .

Here’s a great example of what Scotty brought to the band. The following was s track the DeLeo brothers did with their side band Talk Show

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6SHrgIXpQac

Not that great especially the vocals.

Now here is the rewritten version with Scott

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eNk-JnRwihU

Scott played a very little bit of guitar but other than the riff of Tumble in the Rough writing on guitar was not his forte. He didn’t really play an instrument on his solo projects apart from drums, but he hummed and sang with his collaborators.

Very cool. I liked Talk Show, but Scott had that presence and one of those force of nature type voices that could elevate a song. I feel the same about another tragic loss we had (too damn many, right? ) with Chris Cornell: When you hear the Audioslave songs, it's a terrific rhythm section, tight as all hell as expected with the RATM guys and making some great songs, but Chris' vocals made those tracks soar beyond the songs themselves. It's like Scott with STP, Chester, Morrison, Mercury, etc...the list goes on.

I compare it to The Doors, where Morrison was such a powerful force, when he's gone it's hard to overcome that in terms of plugging in another 1/4 of a tight band to try replacing the loss...because you can't. And that's the sad part in some cases because the other 3/4ths of the band is still there and doing what they do best, but that key element is gone.

In terms of The Beach Boys, what they had going for them was multiple lead singers. If a member wasn't available at a given time, they still had at least 4 (or more at times) lead voices to carry the tunes. Contrary to some revisionism, there was never a sole lead singer or lead voice in the band, and that was always their strength. But like some fans are with The Doors without Morrison, it's hard to go beyond the full classic lineup and get the same gut reaction they had hearing the classic lineup with all voices present under that name.

Agreed on all counts.

And you know the saying "the whole is more than the sum of the parts"? Well, with the Beach Boys, those parts were better than most bands's wholes.

RIP Alexa Lestage (8 May 1995- 10 June 2018) .

https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-the-jurkowlaniecs

Lady:”Sir why you are drowning my son!!! “
Guy:“Maa’m, the ad clearly reads...SEA horse rides for a dollar “
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2019, 07:01:46 PM »

Amen. But then again, their worst(SIP) is often worse than another group's entire catalogue.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
The Dr. of Wilsonomics
Global Moderator

🍦🍦My daughter and I -23 Dec 2018 ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2019, 07:46:17 PM »

That’s also true!

RIP Alexa Lestage (8 May 1995- 10 June 2018) .

https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-the-jurkowlaniecs

Lady:”Sir why you are drowning my son!!! “
Guy:“Maa’m, the ad clearly reads...SEA horse rides for a dollar “
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx