gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:13:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian as multi-instrumentalist  (Read 7632 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »

I know this has been covered before, but can we come up with a list of songs where Brian played an instrument other than bass or a keyboard based instrument? It would handy to have this in one thread. I eventually want to create a reference section

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 06:49:35 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, he was also able to play drums but on what songs I'm not sure.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »

I think he played drums on "Honkin' Down The Highway". I've read that he also supposedly played drums on "Funky Pretty".

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 07:27:31 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, he was also able to play drums but on what songs I'm not sure.
"Airplane"? Paging c-man.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:02:56 PM »

Let’s see what I can remember, mostly from reading C-man’s posts:

Guitar:
The Survivors – After the Game
Break Away (according to Desper?)
Possibly one version of H&V or something (strumming)

Drums:
Surfin’ (snare drum)
Funky Pretty
You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin (?)
all of Love You except Mona, I Wanna Pick You Up, Honkin’ Down the Highway, and The Night Was So Young (Dennis), Good Time (Dennis Dragon), and Ding Dang (Ricky Fataar?)

Marimba:
All Summer Long
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 08:34:28 PM »

Drums on Till I Die
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »

Oh and plays everything on Where Can She Be and You’ve Lost that Loving Feelin
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 11:55:43 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:58:51 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 07:42:30 AM »

harmonica on Susie Cincinnati, Good Time, I Just Got My Pay, Santa Ana Winds etc,

Whoa! He's actually a-okay harpist, especially Santa Ana Winds features some pretty soulful blowin'.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 09:09:35 AM »

That was him? I thought it was proven to be false.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 09:21:52 AM »

Drums on "Honkin' Down The Highway" are actually Dennis.
Harmonica on "Santa Ana Winds" is actually Tommy Morgan.
No evidence that Brian played guitar on "Breakaway", but evidence that Carl did (along with session players).
Likewise, drums on "Sail Plane Song" appear to actually have been Carl, overdubbed after Al (!) played off-mic drums during the tracking session.

Accordion on "Mona" is an interesting possibility - the track sheet includes a notation for that instrument, but no AFM sheet exists to indicate it was an outside player. And remember, Brian took accordion lessons as a kid, so maybe!  Can you quote a source for that, wjcrerar ?
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 09:22:03 AM »

That was him? I thought it was proven to be false.

^

I remember C-man said it was Tommy Morgan uncredited. I can post the link if anyone wants.

EDIT: Never mind; he beat me to it  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:25:21 AM by All Summer Long » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 11:46:43 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:58:44 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »

Drums on "Honkin' Down The Highway" are actually Dennis.
Harmonica on "Santa Ana Winds" is actually Tommy Morgan.
No evidence that Brian played guitar on "Breakaway", but evidence that Carl did (along with session players).
Likewise, drums on "Sail Plane Song" appear to actually have been Carl, overdubbed after Al (!) played off-mic drums during the tracking session.

Accordion on "Mona" is an interesting possibility - the track sheet includes a notation for that instrument, but no AFM sheet exists to indicate it was an outside player. And remember, Brian took accordion lessons as a kid, so maybe!  Can you quote a source for that, wjcrerar ?

Huh, didn't know that about Sail Plane Song, I was going off of an old post by Desper where he broke down his notes from the session. Then again, I haven't heard the session tape!

Can't remember where I read about Mona but it does make sense. You can hear it in the right channel and it's a very simple part, seems unlikely that it'd be an uncredited outside musician in the scope of Love You.

Come to think of it, it might even have been me who suggested Brian as the accordion player on "Mona"!  And yes, considering the simplicity of the part (after all, it's far from the triple-bellows shake performed in unison by Frank Marocco and Carl Fortina on the bridge of "WIBN"), it could very well be him!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 12:29:12 PM »

I'm almost positive that  the liner notes for the 15 Big Ones/Love You "twofer" credit Brian with the drums on "Honkin' Down The Highway".

Edit: The liner notes are by Peter Buck of R.E.M., and he said it "sounds like" Brian played all the instruments, including drums. So I guess that's not quite a credible source.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:36:04 PM by Jay » Logged

Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 12:40:00 PM »

Who wrote those notes!?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 12:49:34 PM »

Who wrote those notes!?

There were a few different "celebrities" who wrote liner notes for a few of the twofer's, rather than the usual suspects(c-man, Ian, Doe, Alan Boyd, etc). I believe Tom Petty wrote the liner notes for one. Odd decision indeed.

Steven
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 03:59:27 PM »

Fact: Dennis played drums on "Honkin' Down the Highway".

Formerly known as "Moon Dawg"
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2019, 11:09:02 PM »

Fact: Brian DID make the trip to Holland to record the album of the same name, despite Tom Petty writing otherwise in his celebrity liner notes for the album of the same name.

R.I.P. Tom, the world still misses ya!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 01:40:38 AM »

Who wrote those notes!?

There were a few different "celebrities" who wrote liner notes for a few of the twofer's, rather than the usual suspects(c-man, Ian, Doe, Alan Boyd, etc). I believe Tom Petty wrote the liner notes for one. Odd decision indeed.

IIRC it was Tom Petty for "Holland", Elton John for "So tough", Peter Buck for "Love you". I don't remember the celebrity-authors for the other ones, if those were written by celebs. I know AGD wrote the ones for either KTSA or BB85.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2019, 08:50:30 AM »

Tim White did Sunflower / SU. Paul Williams did In Concert. AGD did the KTSA / BB85 twofer.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 12:02:22 PM by Wirestone » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2019, 02:08:57 PM »

I'd like to read Elton John's liners. Indifferent towards Buck/ REM/ Petty.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2019, 11:26:55 PM »

Fact: Brian DID make the trip to Holland to record the album of the same name, despite Tom Petty writing otherwise in his celebrity liner notes for the album of the same name.

R.I.P. Tom, the world still misses ya!

I always thought that was weird since the story of how they got Brian to Holland after a failed attempt or two is so well known

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2019, 04:43:42 AM »

I'd like to read Elton John's liners. Indifferent towards Buck/ REM/ Petty.

Here you go, RR (the track descriptions are by one Scott McCaughey):

This is an album which I have loved for a long time. It is perhaps the “loosest” of all The Beach Boys albums in that it has more of a band feel than the others. It contains one of my favorite all time Beach Boys tracks Marcella and another, He Come Down. The traditional harmonies are still there but they’re “drier” and more ambient. Carl Wilson’s hand is much in evidence here as in his voice and the addition of Ricky Fataar, who is a superb drummer, enhances the live feeling that pervades the songs. I am a huge fan of The Beach Boys. They have been and still are a major influence on my writing. This album is a step away from Pet Sounds, but still has moments of breathtaking genius and experimentation. When this record was released, I remember how different and fresh it sounded. It still does.

– Elton John, 2000

[Source]

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2019, 05:49:53 AM »

Tim White did Sunflower / SU. Paul Williams did In Concert. AGD did the KTSA / BB85 twofer.

Anyone able to post AGD's
 on Ktsa and 85 ?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx