gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:59:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do we have any definitive info on "Ding Dang"?  (Read 3469 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2019, 08:17:17 PM »

So, I've noticed that at least for the first two decades of The Beach Boys career, we've pretty much nailed down the recording dates and sessions and whatnot for nearly every song that we know of. However, there is one song that it has seemed we've never been able to figure out the specifics on. And that song is "Ding Dang."

Some say it was recorded in 1973, but then I see something about a session for a June 10, 1974 session. And then the vocals, I'm not sure I can place them. Just by my feeling, they feel mid to late '70s-ish, but perhaps I'm wrong. Also, there is the issue of the very, very similar "Brian's Tune" (also known as "Rollin' Up to Heaven" which was recorded late in '74. So was this recorded after or before "Ding Dang"?

Plus I'm pretty sure you have the song's co-writer, Roger McGuinn saying that it was written together while Brian was trying to duck Gene Landy and his crew, which obviously wouldn't make sense if the song was already done and dusted by mid 1974.

I suspect this might just be something that is left vague, but I figured I'd ask anyways just to see if anybody knows anything.

Anybody got any concrete info on when this one was done.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 08:28:27 PM »

I don’t have anything concrete, sorry. I can just offer what I’ve read here in other threads. Recorded sometime between March and November 1973 (and I’m guessing with overdubs in 1976/77 for release). Supposedly has more musicians than the rest of the album. Possibly Ricky on drums. Let’s see if c-man or anyone else can help.  Wink
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:48:10 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:00:28 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 09:29:28 AM »

I'll have to dig around for the exact source on this, but engineer Earle Mankey said the first thing he ever recorded with Brian was Ding Dang. Apparently it was a Carl session, Brian happened to be there, and one way or another they ended up recording that too just to make the most of the studio time. If "Is This Really Love" was that song Carl was working on, the June 10 '74 date would make sense. IIRC Earle's first session with the Beach Boys in general was Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me in January that year so it'd have to be '74 at the earliest. And I don't think it could be later than that, because Brian speaking at the start sounds like his younger voice.

Not sure on the exact date but there's an interview with Brian from early '74 where he talks about working with Roger McGuinn recently (also mentions him owning a secret laser beam), so Roger's recollection of it being the Landy era is probably mixed up. There's also the "Brian's Jam / Clangin'" session at Brother in March which I think is another variation with no vocals that exists in the vaults. Whatever the date, the Ding Dang on Love You is from before Rollin' Up to Heaven and the Caribou trip for sure. In the '76 live rehearsal they sing the "alley oop" parts from Rollin' that don't feature in Ding Dang.

Edit:

This is from David Leaf's book (in the context of stuff Brian did around '74) -

Brother Studio engineer and record-producer Earle Mankey remembers the first time he worked with Brian in the mid-70s. "At one session of Carl's, somebody said to Brian, 'Let's cut a track,' and he said, 'I have this great song, it's called "Ding, Dang."' It was a legendary track, and it was around, as I understand it, for a long time."

This is from an article in '77 -

Earle remembers the first time he did a session with Brian. "About a year and a half ago, before 15 Big Ones was released we did some basic tracks and Brian was very tense in the studio. We recorded a version of 'Ding Dang', and a few weeks later waxed a song called 'Back Home.'
"Things started clicking," Earle recalls. "Carl came into the booth when we were playing back the track and said, 'Earle! This is the way it used to be! This is it! You're seeing it! It's happening now!"

Wow, thank you so much wjcrerar!

However, I do need to ask about this interview where Brian talks about McGuinn. I feel like I have listened to or read like two or three Brian interview from 1974. Do you know where this one comes from?
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 09:56:43 AM »

recording date 3 / 2 / 1974....... a jam ..... no vocals
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 12:13:39 PM »

recording date 3 / 2 / 1974....... a jam ..... no vocals

Hey there Mark! Thank you for the reply, but I'm not sure what you mean here. I know that apparently "Brian's Jam" and "Clangin'" were recorded on that day, but was the basic track for "Ding Dang" recorded that day? Or is "Brian's Jam" the basic track for "Ding Dang"?
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 09:37:50 AM »

Earle remembers the first time he did a session with Brian. "About a year and a half ago, before 15 Big Ones was released we did some basic tracks and Brian was very tense in the studio. We recorded a version of 'Ding Dang', and a few weeks later waxed a song called 'Back Home.'
"Things started clicking," Earle recalls. "Carl came into the booth when we were playing back the track and said, 'Earle! This is the way it used to be! This is it! You're seeing it! It's happening now!"

I was under the impression Carl got excited during Brian's session for You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »

I was under the impression Carl got excited during Brian's session for You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling.

Nah, "Back Home".
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »

During a chat I had with McGuinn, he gave me the entire backstory to the tune. The song -- at least McGuinn's contributions -- happened around '73 -- long before Landy -- when BW very randomly showed up at his Malibu house in the afternoon in search of piano -- literally: "Hey Rog -- you have a piano, right?"

A fair amount of partying ensued.

Long story short, McGuinn told me he woke up the NEXT morning with Brian playing the song "HARD," having run through it non-stop over the course of the night.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 07:13:47 AM »

No doubt because of the amphetamines involved.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 06:55:49 PM »

During a chat I had with McGuinn, he gave me the entire backstory to the tune. The song -- at least McGuinn's contributions -- happened around '73 -- long before Landy -- when BW very randomly showed up at his Malibu house in the afternoon in search of piano -- literally: "Hey Rog -- you have a piano, right?"

Long story short, McGuinn told me he woke up the NEXT morning with Brian playing the song "HARD," having run through it non-stop over the course of the night.

In the documentary "Echo in the Canyon," McGuinn said Brian came by in search of drugs unless I'm misremembering.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:33:54 PM by roffels » Logged
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 01:57:38 PM »

In the documentary "Echo in the Canyon," McGuinn said Brian came by in search of drugs unless I'm remembering.

Perhaps it was drugs & a piano, in no particular order.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx