gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:45:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs That Could’ve Fit On Pet Sounds  (Read 8663 times)
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« on: June 18, 2019, 07:41:34 AM »

This may have been a thread topic before but what other Beach Boys songs do you think would’ve fit on Pet Sounds? What songs by other artists sound influenced by Pet Sounds or Brian in general? I’ve always found Dennis’ Be With Me had a lot of Brian’s influence with the lush orchestration, production and overall style and vibe.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2019, 07:55:56 AM »

Guess I'm Dumb
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 08:16:30 AM »

Let Him Run Wild- that one's a definite Pet Sounds precursor
She Knows Me Too Well  could have also worked

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 08:29:20 AM »

Well said, guys. All great pre Pet Sounds gems. In The Back Of My Mind also has that Pet Sounds level of maturity and sophistication.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 01:00:44 PM »

Great idea for a thread, Banana! I'd submit that Time To Get Alone and The exquisite Whatever Happened are worth of a place on Pet Sounds. And I agree that In The Back Of My Mind would also easily qualify.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 01:01:07 PM »

Good Vibrations and The Little Girl I Once Knew.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 03:15:42 PM »

In The Back Of My Mind

Arguably more Pets Sounds-ish than several of the songs on the album
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 03:17:13 PM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Steven
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 03:38:02 PM »

If "The Little Girl I Once Knew" had been a big hit it may have become the closing track on side 1.

Formerly known as "Moon Dawg"
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 04:48:09 PM »

Please Let Me Wonder for the win Smiley

In my humble opinion, this song is just about the most perfect BBs song EVER created.

As much as I love Pet Sounds very, very dearly, I might say I like PLMW better than any song off Pet Sounds. 
That said, I think it'd fit in perfectly with the album. Cut from a very similar cloth.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2019, 06:59:00 PM »

Lonely Sea

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2019, 07:03:20 PM »

Lonely Sea
Interesting choice. What makes you pick it? Just curious. Smiley

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 07:06:48 PM »

It would be interesting for us to go through all of the pre Pet Sounds songs, and compile an "album"  that thematically and lyrically would be an approximation of the Pet Sounds album.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Big Daddy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »

It is interesting to think about what it means to be a “Pet Sounds” type of song. I often think of the Summer Days album as having that Pet Sounds level of Production quality, but with lyrical content more in line with the Beach, Surf, Girls of the early albums. I would wholeheartedly agree with Let Him Run Wild, Please Let Me Wonder and the Little Girl I Once Knew. Personally, I would add The Night Was So Young into the mix. It has a Don’t Talk quality about it.
Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 08:21:58 PM »

I have to agree with CD; easy call for me.  My immediate thought was also "Please Let Me Wonder." Cool Guy

Funny, but being that it was borne of the time, I'd have expected more votes for "Good Vibrations."  That's cool, though.  I've never been one to think of GV as a very 'Pet Sounds-y' piece.  If I had to put GV along with any album, it feels to me that it would've been more at home with whatever majesty my mind thinks that a completed Smile would've ended up as.

As it played out, though, 'Vibes' stands alone as a perfect single release.  And PLMW gets my vote, here.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 05:38:01 AM »

What songs by other artists sound influenced by Pet Sounds or Brian in general?

Death Cab for Cute - You Can Do Better Than Me (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtAAikJNboY). I get such a huge Pet Sounds vibe from this song, probably the most PS influenced song I've heard.

Weezer - Beach Boys (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsG37JcEQNw). They even mimic Murry Wilson on this track, it doesn't really sound like the Beach Boys, but theres huge influence here.

Weezer - Mexican Fender (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKvx5RlmsaQ). Again, doesn't sound like the Beach Boys, but the influence is huge during the middle-eight.

There are so many more that I don't have the time to list right now. But I will add some when I get the time. Great topic!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 07:21:48 AM »

Lonely Sea
Interesting choice. What makes you pick it? Just curious. Smiley

I was going for a Brian song pre-Pet Sounds that would have fit...and for a change, I didn't consider production or arrangement in this choice. I went mostly with the theme, the tone of the lyrics, and the delivery of the vocal.

Consider Lonely Sea was *early* BW and Usher, and yet this is a young guy singing about his lost love being like the ocean, as he's seeing how the waves roll in and out for eternity without stopping, like having and losing the love(s) of your life. It's that contemplative aspect of the lyrics, the self-reflection and realization that all which comes and goes in someone's life really is a fleeting concept versus the realities that every day the waves will roll in and out and the sun will rise and set. Just like another lyric soon to come, "still I have the warmth of the sun..." that will be there even after a devastating loss of love.

It's pretty heavy emotional and self-reflective material to be sung by a guy who's 20-21 years old, right? It's the same kind of self-reflection and realization which would come to full fruition on Pet Sounds, which had tracks included and sequenced in such a way that you hear the narrator singing the songs progressing from the joy and wonder of young love and infatuation on the first track...ultimately to reveal by the final tracks on the album that he wasn't made for these times, he hasn't found a place to fit in or people to fit with, and the former ideal of young love and beauty has now cut her hair, grown older and more mature, and the ideal from track one has in fact changed...in reality versus images in his mind.

With that background, Lonely Sea stands as one of the most melancholy and ethereal songs in Brian's canon, and though it's simple lyrically, the message is a powerful one...so to my ears, it fits or would fit near the end of side 2 on Pet Sounds, bookending both I Just Wasn't Made For These Times and Caroline No, and it's sonic imagery of the ocean and waves perpetually rolling in and out fits as a similar compliment to the train speeding by. They're both versions of the same idea expressed in sound and visual imagery created by those sounds.

Again, avoiding focusing on the production elements in favor of the lyrical and emotional theme, Brian's vocal delivery is perfect in its longing and dramatic via his sustained notes floating over the chords. The chords themselves are quirky enough and non-standard enough to have fit alongside anything on Pet Sounds...this was *not* a song built on cliche doo-wop and "Blue Moon" chord progressions. If you replace the full drum kit (especially the constant ride cymbal) on Lonely Sea with more sparse percussion, replace the strummed 50's-style guitar with Hammond organ pads and add some woodwinds or strings...it would fit right in on Pet Sounds.

All the more amazing to consider this was very *early* BW, and yet there he was already hitting those same themes as he would later do and receive massive praise for on Pet Sounds.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 07:45:56 AM »

She knows me too well
Kiss me baby
Let him run wild
In the back of my mind
Guess I'm Dumb
The Little Girl I once knew
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:50:07 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 10:12:16 AM »

With a different vibe and production.... Girl Don't Tell Me.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 10:35:10 AM »

Consider Lonely Sea was *early* BW and Usher, and yet this is a young guy singing about his lost love being like the ocean, as he's seeing how the waves roll in and out for eternity without stopping, like having and losing the love(s) of your life. It's that contemplative aspect of the lyrics, the self-reflection and realization that all which comes and goes in someone's life really is a fleeting concept versus the realities that every day the waves will roll in and out and the sun will rise and set. Just like another lyric soon to come, "still I have the warmth of the sun..." that will be there even after a devastating loss of love.

It's pretty heavy emotional and self-reflective material to be sung by a guy who's 20-21 years old, right?

Lonely Sea is *such* a brilliantly beautiful song that gives me the Pet Sounds feels, and it's even more mindblowing considering just how young Brian was when he recorded it.
Lonely Sea was recorded on June 13, 1962, meaning Brian was *19* years old (exactly 1 week before he turned 20 on June 20, 1962!) when he sang the lead vocal.

Perhaps Brian was feeling a big change about to happen being right on the edge of ending his teen years, and entering "adulthood" of his 20s (even though Brian had to deal with adult drama beyond his years due to so much family dysfunction prior to this). I know that whenever I hit a decade milestone, it always seems to bring on some life reflection and emotions in general. I would imagine Brian was going through that too when he wrote/sang this song riiiight before he turned 20.

And maybe even more surprising to realize: God Only Knows - arguably Brian's most famous/beloved song - which was cut very much from similar cloth as Lonely Sea, was also recorded with a Wilson lead vocalist who was a teenager. 19 year old Carl Wilson sang that song in 1966. I'll bet that very, very few people who have ever listened to GOK would ever imagine it was sung by a teenager.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 10:36:45 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:59:11 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 11:20:57 AM »

Not that it changes anything, but the music for Lonely Sea was mostly written by Gary Usher before he first collaborated with Brian. Brian's contribution was coming up with most of the lyrics and refining the melody.

Interesting, I know I've heard that before too.

Did Gary ever do a demo? Do we know what melody parts specifically Brian refined?
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 11:26:27 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:59:06 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 11:54:10 AM »

Not that it changes anything, but the music for Lonely Sea was mostly written by Gary Usher before he first collaborated with Brian. Brian's contribution was coming up with most of the lyrics and refining the melody.

Interesting, I know I've heard that before too.

Did Gary ever do a demo? Do we know what melody parts specifically Brian refined?

Not that I know of, source is James Murphy's book. I checked it again and it actually just says Gary showed Brian the chords and Brian wrote the lyrics but I swear I remember hearing that melody thing somewhere. Maybe I'm thinking of something else, either or both of them could've come up with the melody from there, doesn't go into any more detail.

I wonder how many times Brian has ever been asked about Lonely Sea, either by fans or interviewers. I'm guessing *very* few, which is a shame.

Off topic, but I feel like I've read a similar story about All I Wanna Do, in that it was a melody that Mike had, which Brian then tweaked/developed. Or maybe it was just the vocal melody/lyrics as opposed to the song's melody. I dunno. Curious what the source is for that, and any other details.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2019, 05:07:04 AM »

Our Sweet Love with it's gorgeous string arrangement would fit well.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2019, 06:20:32 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:58:59 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx