gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:50:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The sound of Carl's solo albums vs other songs of the era  (Read 2507 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:00:14 AM »

I just listened (for the 1st time, surprisingly) to The Pointer Sisters' 1980 song "He's So Shy":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGIraUHg-5Q

And I was struck how this seemed like it could have been on Carl's solo albums. The song was apparently written as "She's So Shy" and was originally intended for Leo Sayer.

Does anyone else feel like Carl's solo material from this era was trying at times to capture this song's sound? Not saying it was directly an inspiration for anything, but who knows.
Granted, it could just be that it's a pop song of the era, but I for some reason think it would have fit like a glove within the Carl cannon.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »

I hear what you’re getting at, but I think a lot of it just has to do with the production techniques of the era.  One thing I find interesting is how much better Carl’s solo material sounds when it’s performed live (for example, on the Bottom Line CD).  I think others on this website have pointed the same thing out.  Material that’s pretty lacklustre on the albums sounds so much better on the live recordings.  And it’s precisely because it’s missing that 1980s Pointer Sisters vibe. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 03:45:34 AM »

I hear what you’re getting at, but I think a lot of it just has to do with the production techniques of the era.  One thing I find interesting is how much better Carl’s solo material sounds when it’s performed live (for example, on the Bottom Line CD).  I think others on this website have pointed the same thing out.  Material that’s pretty lacklustre on the albums sounds so much better on the live recordings.

Yes, I have listened to the Bottomline recording just recently. The performance sounds really great even if some songs are just not that strong. His band is cooking and Carl's vocals are top. If you'd get that sound and feeling (and some better songs) on the record, it'd be a different story with Carl's first album. The second one obviously is stronger and has a better production. Are there any live performances like the Bottomline show out there to promote the second one? Would love to hear "She's mine" in a live setting.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:48:21 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 10:51:39 AM »

I always thought a great show opener for Carl during that time would have been "What More Can I Say". it rocks as the opener for Album 2.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 11:20:26 PM »

"What More Can I Say" was performed in the 1983 shows, but "Too Early To Tell" was still the opening song, as in 81. "She's Mine" was not in the setlist. IIRC, the set list was about half of the songs from Younblood, and half of the songs from the first album. Sure would be great if some kind of audio recording from the 83 shows turns up, but so far the closest thing we've got is Carl doing a couple of the Youngblood songs with the Beach Boys.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 04:08:46 AM »

"What More Can I Say" was performed in the 1983 shows, but "Too Early To Tell" was still the opening song, as in 81. "She's Mine" was not in the setlist. IIRC, the set list was about half of the songs from Younblood, and half of the songs from the first album. Sure would be great if some kind of audio recording from the 83 shows turns up, but so far the closest thing we've got is Carl doing a couple of the Youngblood songs with the Beach Boys.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I really would like to hear a "Youngblood" show. Apart from no recordings having come to light, do we know if any radiobroadcasts even happened at all?
Please ecuse me for repeating myself, but I just want to say again, what great vocals Carl put on at the Bottomline show and how tight the band sounds (including Gerald Johnson on bass). Man, they were really rocking and it's sad that this doesn't come across on the album, although you certainly can listen to and enjoy it for what it is. If just the material was better.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »

I just listened (for the 1st time, surprisingly) to The Pointer Sisters' 1980 song "He's So Shy":

And I was struck how this seemed like it could have been on Carl's solo albums. The song was apparently written as "She's So Shy" and was originally intended for Leo Sayer.

Does anyone else feel like Carl's solo material from this era was trying at times to capture this song's sound? Not saying it was directly an inspiration for anything, but who knows.
Granted, it could just be that it's a pop song of the era, but I for some reason think it would have fit like a glove within the Carl cannon.
Along those lines, it's maybe notable that singer/songwriter Myrna Smith cowrote the majority of Carl's songs with him. She was part of an R&B female vocal group in the 60s; it's not hard to believe The Pointer Sisters would have been at least one reference point for the then-contemporary sound they were going after in the early 80s.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 02:27:24 AM »

Along those lines, it's maybe notable that singer/songwriter Myrna Smith cowrote the majority of Carl's songs with him. She was part of an R&B female vocal group in the 60s; it's not hard to believe The Pointer Sisters would have been at least one reference point for the then-contemporary sound they were going after in the early 80s.

Myrna was part of the Sweet Inspirations who were one of Presley's backing groups from '69-'77 (Gerald Johnson was their bass player at that time and then became part of Carl's band). In '75 he recorded the Pointer's "Fairytale" which became a standard in his concert until the end. So, she had contact with the Pointer's material at least at that time. But I'm sure there was more, the Pointer Sisters after all were big at that time.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I really would like to hear a "Youngblood" show. Apart from no recordings having come to light, do we know if any radiobroadcasts even happened at all?
Please ecuse me for repeating myself, but I just want to say again, what great vocals Carl put on at the Bottomline show and how tight the band sounds (including Gerald Johnson on bass). Man, they were really rocking and it's sad that this doesn't come across on the album, although you certainly can listen to and enjoy it for what it is. If just the material was better.
The only solo concert recordings i'm aware of all come from Carl's first tour. The Bottom Line show seems to be the common one, but I've also got a recording from just a few days before or after at My Father's Place - another radio broadcast; and a fan recording from another venue I can't recall at the moment.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx