gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:57:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's most active late-70's period on tour  (Read 16279 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2019, 04:05:18 PM »

I've seen footage (privately, perhaps the Houston one) from a '78 show where Brian is THE bass player, basically. It's a bit shocking to see, and he's also very animated, running around in the back. He was functioning more as an integral part of the band, and he even nailed the tricky bass part on WIBN. Didn't sing much though.

Is that the one that has the semi famous clip of him playing the bass and gyrating? I see a gif of that used as an avatar quite a bit (and not just on BB sites!)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2019, 07:33:28 PM »

"Past issues they can't let go of". You've been singing the same tune since C50 ended.

I was referring to past issues related to the board and between board members, but if you see fit to take a shot at me about C50, you should demand the truth about C50 from those who have been spreading their grudge and agenda driven bullshit since 2012. You know exactly who and what I'm referring to Jay.

Now that that's on the table, why don't you post on topic about Brian in the late 70's and start some discussion if that's an issue here?

Guitarfool2002, please accept this post as my third request to please keep this thread on its original intended topic. Original topics get lost more often than not when this stuff comes up. Thanks so much.

Also, thank you Billy for posting.

I’m all for an open forum, and enjoy reading most of what is posted here, but as I said above, original topics are far more likely to steer off track when this other stuff is introduced and repeated and repeated. Steers others away from reading and offering their insight into what I think is an interesting topic.

I’m trying to track down any available video of that show when Brian was doing the hula hoop with the bass. Used to be on YouTube, but I’m striking out. How much of that show is available on video?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »

That’s the one with the Hawaiian shirt and shorts, right?

The one I’m referring to had no sound, and part of it featured him literally jumping up and down and growling (literally) . I haven’t seen it in many a year...I imagine it was from the same tour

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2019, 10:45:29 PM »

The one with Brian doing the weird Hula hoop type motion used to be on YouTube, but not anymore. It had "Roller Skating Child" synced to the film, but it's not the song they are playing.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2019, 11:11:26 PM »

That’s right...it sure did.

Anybody have any info on the clip I’m referring to?

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2019, 03:16:34 AM »

I've seen footage (privately, perhaps the Houston one) from a '78 show where Brian is THE bass player, basically. It's a bit shocking to see, and he's also very animated, running around in the back. He was functioning more as an integral part of the band, and he even nailed the tricky bass part on WIBN. Didn't sing much though.

The Houston '78 show is one of the shows in the BB vault; a few bits popped up in "An American Band" and "Endless Harmony" (the latter included that quick shot of an energetic Brian on bass on stage).

These uncut pro-shot shows should be released by BRI, but beyond publishing clearances needed for releasing videos, there are other issues with a lot of the footage like this. It's interesting to *us*, but sometimes pretty tough to see/hear (imagine releasing Brian's *screaming* lead on "Airplane" from the Largo '77 show), and also in some cases the only extant audio on these shows is arguably not of releasable quality (e.g. the Seattle '83 show with audio that sounds like it's coming from an AM transistor radio).

Yeah, I remember seeing another one from that tour where some of the band, Carl in particular are clearly in bad shape. He was playing "The Trader" behind a Wurli looking very hungover, glared at the camera and forcefully gestured the cameraman to get out of his face and shoot elsewhere. Might've been Largo I think? But I think the Brian bass one was probably the Houston one.

Yeah, I think the Carl keyboard moment was "All This Is That" from the Largo, MD 1977 show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVqBT5I1WE

From what I recall, both nights of a two-night stand were captured on video from Largo in 1977. Only one of the shows circulates and has been for years, and that's the one linked above. I think it's the second of two nights. I think tiny bits of the other show are seen in "Endless Harmony" (Brian in a different shirt at the piano). But both are supposedly in the BRI vaults.

Yup, I think you're right! Apologies for my bad recollection.

No apologies needed! It had been so long since I had watched that one, I had forgotten all the weird stuff Carl (and the other guys) did. I remember first seeing the Australia '78 footage where Carl is super toasted, and then at some point after that I saw the Largo '77 footage, from a full year earlier, and was surprised that Carl was semi-toasted at that one as well.

It's pretty stunning then to watch the first 1979 footage of the band and to see Carl 100% sober and in charge of the band. It's one of the reasons it always bugs me when Mike (or others) bring up the "Wilsons doing drugs and drinking." I mean, it's unfortunate he still brings it up unprompted in general regarding any of the brothers, but I also think it's unfair to lump Carl in with the more chronic, long-lasting problems Dennis and Brian had. While I've often heard supposition that Carl continued to drink possibly excessively much, much later in his life, I have to say it NEVER showed in public or on stage post-1978. Professionally, Carl got his s**t together pretty quickly.

If I'd been a Beach Boy, I would have been drunk a whole lot, I can tell you that for free.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2019, 06:29:47 AM »

Guitarfool2002, please accept this post as my third request to please keep this thread on its original intended topic. Original topics get lost more often than not when this stuff comes up. Thanks so much.

Also, thank you Billy for posting.

I’m all for an open forum, and enjoy reading most of what is posted here, but as I said above, original topics are far more likely to steer off track when this other stuff is introduced and repeated and repeated. Steers others away from reading and offering their insight into what I think is an interesting topic.

I’m trying to track down any available video of that show when Brian was doing the hula hoop with the bass. Used to be on YouTube, but I’m striking out. How much of that show is available on video?

I totally understand wanting to have your question(s) answered, but three "friendly reminders" across two pages attempting to tightly moderate one thread you've started doesn't tend to add to the on-topic discussion.

I've noticed that you started the thread and haven't posted anything since then in this thread other than your attempts to moderate the thread. I think of this forum as more of a place for discussion rather than simply an "information service" where you pitch a question/topic and then sit back and wait for everyone else to generate discussion. Obviously, folks can post or not post as they choose, and if someone wants to pitch a question and then log off and go on vacation, that's fine. But if you're frustrated there aren't more tightly focused posts in this thread, or frustrated there isn't more discussion specifically honing in on topics raised in your initial post, I'd offer the friendly suggestion of contributing to the thread and posting and discussing.

To your specific question about that clip of Brian on bass, as far as I know it only ever surfaced on YouTube as a very brief clip (not much longer than the animated GIF that still floats around), and the audio laid over it ("Roller Skating Child") was not the audio that matched the footage. I think the footage comes from 1978, and my recollection is that "Roller Skating Child" wasn't even often if ever in the setlist in 1978. It was briefly in the setlist in 1977, and then reemerged in the 1979 setlist.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:30:42 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2019, 06:32:52 AM »

The Houston '78 show is one of the shows in the BB vault; a few bits popped up in "An American Band" and "Endless Harmony" (the latter included that quick shot of an energetic Brian on bass on stage).

These uncut pro-shot shows should be released by BRI, but beyond publishing clearances needed for releasing videos, there are other issues with a lot of the footage like this. It's interesting to *us*, but sometimes pretty tough to see/hear (imagine releasing Brian's *screaming* lead on "Airplane" from the Largo '77 show), and also in some cases the only extant audio on these shows is arguably not of releasable quality (e.g. the Seattle '83 show with audio that sounds like it's coming from an AM transistor radio).

Yeah, I remember seeing another one from that tour where some of the band, Carl in particular are clearly in bad shape. He was playing "The Trader" behind a Wurli looking very hungover, glared at the camera and forcefully gestured the cameraman to get out of his face and shoot elsewhere. Might've been Largo I think? But I think the Brian bass one was probably the Houston one.

Yeah, I think the Carl keyboard moment was "All This Is That" from the Largo, MD 1977 show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVqBT5I1WE

From what I recall, both nights of a two-night stand were captured on video from Largo in 1977. Only one of the shows circulates and has been for years, and that's the one linked above. I think it's the second of two nights. I think tiny bits of the other show are seen in "Endless Harmony" (Brian in a different shirt at the piano). But both are supposedly in the BRI vaults.

Yup, I think you're right! Apologies for my bad recollection.

No apologies needed! It had been so long since I had watched that one, I had forgotten all the weird stuff Carl (and the other guys) did. I remember first seeing the Australia '78 footage where Carl is super toasted, and then at some point after that I saw the Largo '77 footage, from a full year earlier, and was surprised that Carl was semi-toasted at that one as well.

It's pretty stunning then to watch the first 1979 footage of the band and to see Carl 100% sober and in charge of the band. It's one of the reasons it always bugs me when Mike (or others) bring up the "Wilsons doing drugs and drinking." I mean, it's unfortunate he still brings it up unprompted in general regarding any of the brothers, but I also think it's unfair to lump Carl in with the more chronic, long-lasting problems Dennis and Brian had. While I've often heard supposition that Carl continued to drink possibly excessively much, much later in his life, I have to say it NEVER showed in public or on stage post-1978. Professionally, Carl got his s**t together pretty quickly.

If I'd been a Beach Boy, I would have been drunk a whole lot, I can tell you that for free.

It would probably help to have a drink just watching some of that late 70s footage.

Al Jardine should get an award for *not* drinking while having to sing "Country Pie."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2019, 06:46:11 AM »

I think that video clip wasn't much longer than the animated GIF that's floating around. It was very brief 1978 (most likely) live footage with unrelated live audio of "Roller Skating Child" dubbed over it. As mentioned in a previous post, "RSC" wasn't even in the setlist in 1978.

Now, my recollection is as follows: In terms of extant footage from around this time, we have of course the Australia '78 footage, and then they also captured from the in-house video feed the April 14, 1978 Houston show. A bit of this is in "An American Band" ("In My Room", with different audio dubbed over it), and also I believe briefly in "Endless Harmony" (the bit where Brian is energetically playing bass on stage, but not the "hula" bit, seen here: https://youtu.be/55zjnIJtov0?t=5720 )

There is also some footage in the 1978 unreleased "Our Team" documentary from a live show, and I believe that footage comes from December 13 and 14, 1977 shows in Washington state. Seen here: https://youtu.be/-19LFYE4RTQ?t=3478

That animated GIF with the "hula" thing definitely seems to be from 1978 (or possibly very late 1977), but I don't think the clothing matches either the late '77 footage used in "Our Team" or the April '78 Houston footage. But supposedly two nights of shows were shot in December for "Our Team", so that footage may still come from that. It's hard to say for sure whether clothing matches, as most of this footage is like 27th generation VHS dub quality. And it all seems to come from around the same era, as they are often wearing similar clothes (e.g. those hats Al and Mike were wearing around this time).

What would be interesting to know is whether whomever circulated that little "hula" video clip has more or all of that show. It has a timecode stamp on it, so it comes from some sort of raw, production source presumably. But unmatched audio being overlaid suggests it's possible that the footage they had at their disposal didn't have audio, or had poor audio, and/or that it was some sort of "b-roll" type footage that was choppy and/or had only "field" audio rather than soundboard.

But all just guesses of course.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 06:47:59 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2019, 06:50:48 AM »

One update: It appears "Roller Skating Child" was in the December 13, 1977 Seattle setlist, and that's one of the two shows shot for that "Our Team" documentary. So it's possible the stuff seen in "Our Team" is from December 14th mostly, but December 13th footage did make it "out there" at some point and someone took audio from that same show and just overlaid it on top of that brief clip. Hard to say.

I do recall someone mentioned awhile back that they "stumbled" across like a bunch of raw "Our Team" documentary footage on one of their old VHS tapes. I think it was mostly the studio and other footage rather than the live shows, but perhaps somewhere eons ago someone got their hands on a whole bunch of video footage used to prep that "Our Team" doc, and that's how the live footage also made it out.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2019, 07:45:07 AM »

I think that video clip wasn't much longer than the animated GIF that's floating around. It was very brief 1978 (most likely) live footage with unrelated live audio of "Roller Skating Child" dubbed over it. As mentioned in a previous post, "RSC" wasn't even in the setlist in 1978.

Now, my recollection is as follows: In terms of extant footage from around this time, we have of course the Australia '78 footage, and then they also captured from the in-house video feed the April 14, 1978 Houston show. A bit of this is in "An American Band" ("In My Room", with different audio dubbed over it), and also I believe briefly in "Endless Harmony" (the bit where Brian is energetically playing bass on stage, but not the "hula" bit, seen here: https://youtu.be/55zjnIJtov0?t=5720 )

There is also some footage in the 1978 unreleased "Our Team" documentary from a live show, and I believe that footage comes from December 13 and 14, 1977 shows in Washington state. Seen here: https://youtu.be/-19LFYE4RTQ?t=3478

That animated GIF with the "hula" thing definitely seems to be from 1978 (or possibly very late 1977), but I don't think the clothing matches either the late '77 footage used in "Our Team" or the April '78 Houston footage. But supposedly two nights of shows were shot in December for "Our Team", so that footage may still come from that. It's hard to say for sure whether clothing matches, as most of this footage is like 27th generation VHS dub quality. And it all seems to come from around the same era, as they are often wearing similar clothes (e.g. those hats Al and Mike were wearing around this time).

What would be interesting to know is whether whomever circulated that little "hula" video clip has more or all of that show. It has a timecode stamp on it, so it comes from some sort of raw, production source presumably. But unmatched audio being overlaid suggests it's possible that the footage they had at their disposal didn't have audio, or had poor audio, and/or that it was some sort of "b-roll" type footage that was choppy and/or had only "field" audio rather than soundboard.

Are any of those the one where Brian is jumping up and down (not gyrating) and actually leaps forward and growls? I remember it being posted here MANY years ago. It’s not the hula one obviously but it might be one of the others mentioned. I’ve been trying to find that clip for years. Has to be the same era based on how I remember Brian looking, and I’m 99% certain he was wearing shorts. I know it’s not the hula show because it was obviously daytime outside.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2019, 07:49:56 AM »

I don't think this is any of the footage we've been talking about, but here's a bit of footage of Brian on stage from the May, 1978 "Day on the Green" show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSLclEJ0IAQ

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2019, 04:44:05 PM »

Are any of those the one where Brian is jumping up and down (not gyrating) and actually leaps forward and growls? I remember it being posted here MANY years ago. It’s not the hula one obviously but it might be one of the others mentioned. I’ve been trying to find that clip for years. Has to be the same era based on how I remember Brian looking, and I’m 99% certain he was wearing shorts. I know it’s not the hula show because it was obviously daytime outside.
There is some brief footage of Brian jumping around and being overly animated in the Endless Harmony documentary, but it's silent footage with narration over it. I've never seen any footage of Brian "growling" onstage. The closest thing I can think of would be the Maryland 1977 show where he literally screams his vocal parts.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2019, 05:09:24 PM »

There is some brief footage of Brian jumping around and being overly animated in the Endless Harmony documentary, but it's silent footage with narration over it. I've never seen any footage of Brian "growling" onstage. The closest thing I can think of would be the Maryland 1977 show where he literally screams his vocal parts.

I still have the EH doc somewhere, but I don't think that was it. It was discussed here; I wish like hell I  could remember more about it .  Brian had lept forward and he landed in kind of a half squat-half standing position and maybe growling is a bad description...roaring perhaps would be a better description.

I'll see if I can find the original post here. It'll take me a bit as I think this is closer to the board's formation

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2019, 05:42:45 PM »

By the way, I'm almost positive that the "hula hoop" footage fragment came from Hal Roach. I remember seeing the "RoachClips" logo/url.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2019, 06:42:58 PM »

By the way, I'm almost positive that the "hula hoop" footage fragment came from Hal Roach. I remember seeing the "RoachClips" logo/url.

It'd be great if it did come from Hal Roach, and that The Boys would've been in some Our Gang shorts 😂
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2019, 09:31:01 PM »

Still can’t find the clip I was talking about but if it helps jogging anyone else’s memory we discussed it back in the days of guys like Ian Wagner, Aegir, and ReRun. I’m up to 2006 on old posts

Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2019, 09:34:00 PM »

I saw the April '78 show in Houston and don't remember a Hula Hoop. And "Surfer Girl" would not have sounded as well as it did in that clip. But Brian was enthusiastically playing bass, wearing shorts (I think) and dancing throughout the show in his spot on stage. This was a quickie tour to promote "Almost Summer." Rock concerts at The Summit shown on the screen were videotaped. Ed Roach showed another clip from that concert several years ago on his forum, where Dennis asks the audience if any of the ladies out there like to fool around.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2019, 05:49:32 AM »

The footage of Brian doing the dance in shorts is from the shows in Hawaii on March 20 and 21 1978-it’s just a brief clip-I don’t think the shows were filmed in full
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2019, 06:56:53 AM »

I'm not sure if anybody has this impression, but just to clarify, there was no actual hula hoop on stage. We're just referring to this footage of Brian sort of gyrating in a circular motion:

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2019, 07:01:35 AM »

The footage of Brian doing the dance in shorts is from the shows in Hawaii on March 20 and 21 1978-it’s just a brief clip-I don’t think the shows were filmed in full

Ah. that makes sense. The camera angle does seem to suggest it could be news camera footage (the lack of accompanying audio would support this theory); there are a number of shows where several minutes of what we can only call "semi-proshot footage" exists. Meaning, pre-camcorder era, shot by a professional organization (usually local news), but only shot in choppy b-roll segments for a short time. It's sometimes essentially video footage shot from the same press pool area as still photographers.

The timing on that footage would also make sense; they look very similar to their Australian gigs (same/similar hats as I recall); the Hawaii gigs were the first gigs they did after Australia/New Zealand as I recall.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: July 03, 2019, 07:04:35 AM »

Still can’t find the clip I was talking about but if it helps jogging anyone else’s memory we discussed it back in the days of guys like Ian Wagner, Aegir, and ReRun. I’m up to 2006 on old posts

There is definitely some stuff that was up in the early era of YouTube that is long gone. I recall one interview segment with a local news station, from around 1978 or so, where Brian and Al are seated and the interviewer asks Brian a question about Charles Manson, and Al actually gets angry/defensive, seeming to jump to Brian's defense and cuts the reporter off rather brusquely.

So there were a lot of little short clips like that back then that don't seem to have survived (online anyway), as it was often shorter clips being put up on YouTube back in those early days (I think they may have even had a time limit on how long videos could be).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2019, 07:47:12 AM »

Here are a couple of shots from the Houston '78 footage. You can see the stage set up is indeed different from the Hawaii footage; in Houston they had that slanted backdrop:

"In My Room" from "An American Band":

"Endless Harmony" doc footage:

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 03, 2019, 10:39:18 AM »

Australia 1978 - Brian also seems to be hitting the tricky parts on his bass during WIBN at this rather infamous run of shows, standing at the mic but only briefly singing, then the next tune he walks to the backline of amps and plays the next tunes sitting on one.  LOL  Too bad the quality isn't there to hear much if anything from that bass.

The link should go directly to WIBN:

https://youtu.be/cbP8eI3b5U4?t=289

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2019, 02:50:30 PM »

My observation between WIBN and IGA is Brian is struggling to hear his bass so is sitting on/next to the speaker. You can hear him strumming and turning his head as though listening.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx