gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:16:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's most active late-70's period on tour  (Read 16277 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2019, 05:48:15 AM »

I've seen footage (privately, perhaps the Houston one) from a '78 show where Brian is THE bass player, basically. It's a bit shocking to see, and he's also very animated, running around in the back. He was functioning more as an integral part of the band, and he even nailed the tricky bass part on WIBN. Didn't sing much though.

The Houston '78 show is one of the shows in the BB vault; a few bits popped up in "An American Band" and "Endless Harmony" (the latter included that quick shot of an energetic Brian on bass on stage).

These uncut pro-shot shows should be released by BRI, but beyond publishing clearances needed for releasing videos, there are other issues with a lot of the footage like this. It's interesting to *us*, but sometimes pretty tough to see/hear (imagine releasing Brian's *screaming* lead on "Airplane" from the Largo '77 show), and also in some cases the only extant audio on these shows is arguably not of releasable quality (e.g. the Seattle '83 show with audio that sounds like it's coming from an AM transistor radio).

Yeah, I remember seeing another one from that tour where some of the band, Carl in particular are clearly in bad shape. He was playing "The Trader" behind a Wurli looking very hungover, glared at the camera and forcefully gestured the cameraman to get out of his face and shoot elsewhere. Might've been Largo I think? But I think the Brian bass one was probably the Houston one.

Yeah, I think the Carl keyboard moment was "All This Is That" from the Largo, MD 1977 show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tVqBT5I1WE

From what I recall, both nights of a two-night stand were captured on video from Largo in 1977. Only one of the shows circulates and has been for years, and that's the one linked above. I think it's the second of two nights. I think tiny bits of the other show are seen in "Endless Harmony" (Brian in a different shirt at the piano). But both are supposedly in the BRI vaults.

Yup, I think you're right! Apologies for my bad recollection.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 06:01:39 AM by adamghost » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2019, 07:44:11 AM »

I've seen footage (privately, perhaps the Houston one) from a '78 show where Brian is THE bass player, basically. It's a bit shocking to see, and he's also very animated, running around in the back. He was functioning more as an integral part of the band, and he even nailed the tricky bass part on WIBN. Didn't sing much though.

The Houston '78 show is one of the shows in the BB vault; a few bits popped up in "An American Band" and "Endless Harmony" (the latter included that quick shot of an energetic Brian on bass on stage).

These uncut pro-shot shows should be released by BRI, but beyond publishing clearances needed for releasing videos, there are other issues with a lot of the footage like this. It's interesting to *us*, but sometimes pretty tough to see/hear (imagine releasing Brian's *screaming* lead on "Airplane" from the Largo '77 show), and also in some cases the only extant audio on these shows is arguably not of releasable quality (e.g. the Seattle '83 show with audio that sounds like it's coming from an AM transistor radio).

Yeah, I remember seeing another one from that tour where some of the band, Carl in particular are clearly in bad shape. He was playing "The Trader" behind a Wurli looking very hungover, glared at the camera and forcefully gestured the cameraman to get out of his face and shoot elsewhere. Might've been Largo I think? But I think the Brian bass one was probably the Houston one.

Yeah, I think the Carl keyboard moment was "All This Is That" from the Largo, MD 1977 show:

From what I recall, both nights of a two-night stand were captured on video from Largo in 1977. Only one of the shows circulates and has been for years, and that's the one linked above. I think it's the second of two nights. I think tiny bits of the other show are seen in "Endless Harmony" (Brian in a different shirt at the piano). But both are supposedly in the BRI vaults.

No apologies needed! It had been so long since I had watched that one, I had forgotten all the weird stuff Carl (and the other guys) did. I remember first seeing the Australia '78 footage where Carl is super toasted, and then at some point after that I saw the Largo '77 footage, from a full year earlier, and was surprised that Carl was semi-toasted at that one as well.

It's pretty stunning then to watch the first 1979 footage of the band and to see Carl 100% sober and in charge of the band. It's one of the reasons it always bugs me when Mike (or others) bring up the "Wilsons doing drugs and drinking." I mean, it's unfortunate he still brings it up unprompted in general regarding any of the brothers, but I also think it's unfair to lump Carl in with the more chronic, long-lasting problems Dennis and Brian had. While I've often heard supposition that Carl continued to drink possibly excessively much, much later in his life, I have to say it NEVER showed in public or on stage post-1978. Professionally, Carl got his s**t together pretty quickly.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2019, 09:18:27 PM »

No apologies needed! It had been so long since I had watched that one, I had forgotten all the weird stuff Carl (and the other guys) did. I remember first seeing the Australia '78 footage where Carl is super toasted, and then at some point after that I saw the Largo '77 footage, from a full year earlier, and was surprised that Carl was semi-toasted at that one as well.

It's pretty stunning then to watch the first 1979 footage of the band and to see Carl 100% sober and in charge of the band. It's one of the reasons it always bugs me when Mike (or others) bring up the "Wilsons doing drugs and drinking." I mean, it's unfortunate he still brings it up unprompted in general regarding any of the brothers, but I also think it's unfair to lump Carl in with the more chronic, long-lasting problems Dennis and Brian had. While I've often heard supposition that Carl continued to drink possibly excessively much, much later in his life, I have to say it NEVER showed in public or on stage post-1978. Professionally, Carl got his s**t together pretty quickly.
Exactly. Mike NEVER publicly talks about Carl getting his life in order, giving up drugs, and being the band leader again. I guess it's more fun to talk about the ways people have screwed up. I blame it at least partially on today's tabloid media. They always go for the seedy side of things.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »

Exactly. Mike NEVER publicly talks about Carl getting his life in order, giving up drugs, and being the band leader again. I guess it's more fun to talk about the ways people have screwed up. I blame it at least partially on today's tabloid media. They always go for the seedy side of things.

Don't blame the media: In these cases blame Mike, as the blame rests squarely and blatantly on his shoulders for the comments he makes. If Mike were to bring up how Carl cleaned up and recovered and how Brian cleaned up and recovered, it would directly contradict the narrative Mike has been putting out there to less-educated fans for too long. Drugs/Wilsons...bad. Destroyed them and the band. Mike's "clean" lifestyle...he's still tourin'.

Ultimately it's hypocritical bordering on hogwash. I can totally understand how Mike or anyone would have strong feelings about seeing bandmates and family going through addiction issues. But Mike himself gets way too preachy about it, again for fans who don't know yet may believe this stuff, and what offends some of us is how he has used it to elevate himself and his lifestyle over the Wilsons, which is absurd. "Drugs destroyed the Wilsons...*I* never got into it, and I'm still tourin'." Well, so is cousin Brian FYI. It also becomes hypocritical when Mike himself used imagery directly related to and referencing this same psychedelic "drug culture" that he preaches against when he was selling merch and schwag for his 50th anniversary of Good Vibrations promotion. And that's just one of the contradictions out of a handful.

So if Mike did talk about Carl (and Brian, and Dennis) in the terms outlined in the posts above, his narrative wouldn't hold water. As if it does anyway.

He *should* talk about the positives more, as it seems he's been doing more recently. But it's hard not to expect that one interview to hit the Bumf*ck Times weekender section where he lapses into the Drugs-Wilsons-Bad-Etc narrative again.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 09:19:17 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2019, 09:59:25 AM »

The sad part is he does himself a great disservice by doing so. It turns people off and is the primary reason why he doesn’t get the respect he deserves. Every single member of the group was extremely talented including Mike, but every time he opens his mouth he puts his foot in it and overshadows that. It’s a damn shame because truth be told artistically he deserves better.  His more recent interviews have seemed to be more positive,and I truly hope he continues on that path. At all of their ages it’s time to let this sh*t go.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2019, 10:19:14 AM »

Mike just gave an interview to the Daily Mail this past week...and yes, he once again goes there and brings up the drugs and how his choices were better.

It's sad but at the same time it's almost like a parody of itself at this point. Un-freakin-real.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7154031/Beach-Boy-grew-meditation-helped-pop-star-Mike-Love-78-cope-fame.html

A few choice excerpts:

>>>Mike credits meditation with saving his life when addictions were destroying those around him.

'It absolutely saved me,' he says. 'There are many ways to relax. Alcohol, marijuana, other drugs, but they all have side effects.

'I knew quite a few people who went in that direction. But if you learn transcendental meditation you're already relaxed. It leads you to make better choices.

'It was heartbreaking to see my own family members destroying themselves through drink and drugs.

'Not only Brian – his brother Dennis drowned in 1983 with an excess of drugs in his system.'<<<<

And...

>>>A day after Brian Wilson, who has been beset by health problems after a lifetime of drug and alcohol addiction, cancelled a tour because he was feeling 'mentally insecure', Mike Love called me from the health farm where he'd been on a starvation diet of juices ahead of his own tour, which will see him performing at the Royal Albert Hall and the Cornbury Festival. <<<<

So yeah, this article is crap in those regards, as in they had to knock down Brian and bring up addictions he's had beaten and had conquered for decades at this point, and contrast that with Mike calling from a "health farm" in the middle of a starvation juice fast and diet...oh, please. Does anyone care where Mike is calling from, whether it's a health farm's juice bar or at his dry cleaner picking up his Robert Graham shirts and ball caps sorted by the days of the week?

And it's sad because there are positives in the article, some nice sentiments, but the same old Drugs-Wilsons-Bad stuff keeps coming back, and it's Mike saying it ad nauseum.

It's this kind of stuff that is exactly what does Mike no favors.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 10:20:57 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »

Yep

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2019, 12:32:15 PM »

Let us also note that the source of the Mike article is a tabloid, so crap is to be expected from them.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2019, 04:35:42 PM »

Mike just gave an interview to the Daily Mail this past week...and yes, he once again goes there and brings up the drugs and how his choices were better.

It's sad but at the same time it's almost like a parody of itself at this point. Un-freakin-real.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7154031/Beach-Boy-grew-meditation-helped-pop-star-Mike-Love-78-cope-fame.html

A few choice excerpts:

>>>Mike credits meditation with saving his life when addictions were destroying those around him.

'It absolutely saved me,' he says. 'There are many ways to relax. Alcohol, marijuana, other drugs, but they all have side effects.

'I knew quite a few people who went in that direction. But if you learn transcendental meditation you're already relaxed. It leads you to make better choices.

'It was heartbreaking to see my own family members destroying themselves through drink and drugs.

'Not only Brian – his brother Dennis drowned in 1983 with an excess of drugs in his system.'<<<<

And...

>>>A day after Brian Wilson, who has been beset by health problems after a lifetime of drug and alcohol addiction, cancelled a tour because he was feeling 'mentally insecure', Mike Love called me from the health farm where he'd been on a starvation diet of juices ahead of his own tour, which will see him performing at the Royal Albert Hall and the Cornbury Festival. <<<<

So yeah, this article is crap in those regards, as in they had to knock down Brian and bring up addictions he's had beaten and had conquered for decades at this point, and contrast that with Mike calling from a "health farm" in the middle of a starvation juice fast and diet...oh, please. Does anyone care where Mike is calling from, whether it's a health farm's juice bar or at his dry cleaner picking up his Robert Graham shirts and ball caps sorted by the days of the week?

And it's sad because there are positives in the article, some nice sentiments, but the same old Drugs-Wilsons-Bad stuff keeps coming back, and it's Mike saying it ad nauseum.

It's exhausting. Old people don't adapt well, especially when they cover their own insecurities by maligning others. We have one in a far more prominent position than ML (of course, ML is a supporter of his), and that's the real danger.  I believe Mike isn't going to hurt Brian with this crap. Brian appears to have not cared for years. It's ML hurting ML. While Brian is dealing with issues, ML really needs to let this go. He probably won't.

Speaking of old people, mea culpa. My kids are working me through cell phone issues this weekend.  Cool Guy
GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2019, 06:08:39 PM »

A few choice excerpts:

And...

I’m politely requesting that this thread stay on topic, thanks in advance. Thanks so much for everyone contributing so far, great to read all the antidotes from this late-70s period!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2019, 06:24:38 AM »

w00t! for letting go and enjoying the time you have left!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 06:26:15 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2019, 09:44:51 AM »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/beach-boys-stars-last-rock-17262151

Mike was at it again in the UK press...basically the same interview and answers as the other. No indication if he was calling from a health farm this time, but his stock answers about how his lifestyle choices were better than his bandmates remains constant, along with reminders of how bad the Wilson's messed themselves up in contrast to the clean living, meditating Cousin Mike.

It's not off topic when someone brought it up in the conversation regarding Carl and how Mike mentions the substance abuse and addictions but never the recovery. We see two prime examples this past week.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 09:52:12 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2019, 05:18:41 PM »

Why does every single thread end the same around here?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »

They do not.

GoodVibrations33
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2019, 07:39:56 PM »

They do not.

Second request to keep this on topic, thanks so much. There are many other threads you can post this Mike Love info in, but please do not make this thread one of them. Interested in hearing more facts and memories from the late 70s era when Brian was more involved than usual on bass and vocals throughout shows! Thanks again for everyone’s contributions!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2019, 07:52:52 AM »

Obviously, the thread has veered somewhat from the original topic. But it's not like Mike reflecting present-day on the Wilsons' past is completely off-topic.

One of the MANY reasons Brian's activity on tour in the late 70s is less explored is because when people like Mike bring the Wilsons up in interviews, it immediately goes to "they did drugs and drank, I didn't."

The story of the band in the late 70s is unavoidably imbued with rampant drug and alcohol abuse, and also all sorts of other internecine political drama within the band. So, discussing the band in, say, 1977/78/79, easily one of its more tumultuous periods as a live band, is inevitably going to include discussion of who was wasted on stage, who at times was surprisingly *not* wasted or was wasted but still played well enough, as well as discussion of how members dealt with others being wasted. Not too far off from this topic is how Mike (or the other members) view that time period in PRESENT DAY. Mike clearly has little to no time or interest in discussing much of anything positive Brian did in the late 70s (or very often any interest in anything good Brian did post like 1966 or 67 or so), so if one is bummed that we don't get more info about how energetic Brian was on stage in 1978, then maybe it's worth asking Mike about *that*.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 01, 2019, 08:00:32 AM »

That's obviously hyperbole, but to the degree we do end up hashing out another negative Mike interview, perhaps another germane question is "Why does Mike keep harping on the Wilsons' drug and alcohol abuse?", as well as "Why doesn't Mike discuss something positive about the Wilsons out on tour in the late 70s?", and perhaps "Why do media outlets keep publishing Mike going negative about the Wilsons?"

As I said in my previous post, the thread obviously has veered somewhat away from the original prompt (which is obviously quite common on boards; and largely not a problem in my view; if someone has something to add strictly speaking to the original post, they can continue to do so), but Mike in 2019 (and most prior years across many if not most interviews) continuously just lumping DECADES of band history into "the Wilsons did drugs and I didn't" actually is very much a part of why we don't get more info about a *myriad* of topics relating to the band, including Brian's activity in the touring band in the late 70s. Yes, the other members aren't volunteering epic anecdotes about Brian on stage in 1978 either. But when the general topic of that era comes up, there's *one* band member who typically *immediately* skips past any substantive information or context and goes straight to "the Wilsons did drugs and drank."

I'm actually even willing to cut Mike some slack in this area; I'm sure part of why *that* aspect of the Wilsons is so prevalent in his mind is because the Wilsons DID do drugs and drink excessively in that era. But other members have been able to move past that and discuss other things. Al Jardine will discuss "Love You" in interviews. And so on.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2019, 09:37:54 AM »

One issue at a time.  Smiley

For the umteenth time, this is an *open forum*, always has been and always will. No cops to crack people back on topic, or no one to send private messages to get someone's head straight when they say something that veers off a given narrative. Post what you want, within reason.

If someone here wants to get back to talking about Brian Wilson in the late 70's...go ahead and post about Brian Wilson in the 1970's! If someone doesn't think Mike Love's most recent UK interviews are on topic, don't read them or comment on them! Ignore them! But this deal with people trying to tell others what and how to post because they don't want it discussed, or maybe it's something they don't want to see is tiring, and it should stop.

Seriously, it's as simple as ignoring what *you* don't want to see or read, and posting what *you* want to talk about. It's not rocket science. It's an open forum where people can talk. It really is that simple. This judgemental stuff about what and how others are posting when those posts directly relate to the discussion at hand isn't and shouldn't be a part of it. If you don't like seeing Mike Love interviews posted as examples when others were specifically discussing Mike Love interviews about the topics at hand...don't read them. Ignore them. But don't try to tell others what and how to post because you don't want to see it. Post *what you want to see* and others can choose to jump in or not.

And this crap about every thread ending the same way...Bullshit. Enough is enough Jay (and others), what you wrote is not accurate and you shouldn't make comments about this forum that are inaccurate and untrue.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2019, 09:52:42 AM »

Honestly, the reason why this threads end up the same (on EITHER side) is because truth be told right now we have almost nothing to talk about. We're rehashing the same old stuff because, well, right now that's pretty much all there is.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2019, 10:07:59 AM »

Back to the issues of Brian and Carl et al in the late 70's...These interviews with Mike are the most current on the published record, current as of this past week, and i had not even seen them until this weekend. Someone asked why or if Mike ever talks about Carl's recovery and kicking those habits *during the time period on topic for this discussion*, and here is the most up to date proof that Mike does not seem able to do so. He is still emphasizing the negative, and not bothering to mention the positive aspects, namely that Carl kicked and cleaned up and got back on track to where he was still a key member of the touring band for two decades up to his passing, and Brian also recovered to where he did what was once thought impossible, and became a viable and regular touring musician along with releasing multiple albums both studio and live...not to mention a Beach Boys reunion tour and album that were both successful.

If you read what Mike actually said as of this past week in June 2019, you may see why Mike says what he says and how he says it. Mike's narrative is that his life choices were morally, physically, and whatever other "-ly" you can add *better* than the Wilsons, his bandmates and cousins. Dennis died, Carl died, Brian got all messed up...and they all drank, smoked, and did drugs.

Right, we get that. But incessantly pointing it out in public interviews in the way Mike does and has done while ignoring the *triumphant* next chapters of the story that involved redemption, recovery, and renewed musical and personal activities from both Brian and Carl is to me (and perhaps many other fans) irresponsible coming from Mike, because he's only telling half of the story.

Mike goes right from Carl's issues to him passing away from cancer...how about how he cleaned up and got back to making the live band rehearse and give the fans a good show for their money, musically? How about how Brian beat impossible odds to return to both the stage and studio and start a new life with a wife, children, and grandchildren after nearly everyone counted him out?

That's inspirational, right there. It inspires a lot of us.

So for me, I don't need to hear Mike constantly elevating himself over the Wilsons or anyone else and suggesting he made better life choices. Maybe he could - for once - give a tip of his hat to his cousins and say he was and is happy to see how they beat their addictions and issues and continued to make fans happy with their music, in Carl's case up to his passing from cancer and in Brian's case up to the present day.

I think there is something in Mike's psychology that compels him to keep trying to elevate his own self and status in life by pointing out the flaws and issues surrounding his Wilson cousins. It would be as simple as adding to one of these interviews how proud and happy he is and was of his cousins for tackling their issues and fighting back to recover and continue making music as long as they can or could.

It would be like someone talking about Glen Campbell or any number of musicians on this level (including George Harrison) and constantly mentioning their addictions and personal issues any time their music is discussed instead of mentioning or focusing on the later, positive chapters of the story. We know Glen battled alcoholism and other addictions, we know George smoked, drank, and did any number of drugs...so what. They overcame these things. Just like Carl, Brian, etc. That's the good stuff versus the negativity.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:15:30 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »

Honestly, the reason why this threads end up the same (on EITHER side) is because truth be told right now we have almost nothing to talk about. We're rehashing the same old stuff because, well, right now that's pretty much all there is.

Mike grants two new interviews this past week on the eve of his big UK concerts, which flew under the radar...it's the same old stuff coming from Mike with a few new mentions of his interactions with Brian, but it's something new coming from a Beach Boy that is on the table for discussion. There are also other threads where various new topics from history and the current day are being discussed with some new info, or that which many newer fans may not have heard. So I think it's unfair and wrong to paint this place with such a broad brush as some above and in other threads have been trying to do.

Time for folks to get over it whatever it may be (in one person's case, it's not hard to suss out), and if they choose to dredge up the past grudges and issues they can't let go of, expect a challenge especially if the things being said are untrue. Or just look for greener pastures with forum cops and the like to keep people in line, I don't know.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:36:45 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2019, 10:50:02 AM »

True, but me personally, I'd rather see that (referring to these new interviews)  in its own thread rather than on anything that's supposed to be a Brian thread, unless it has to do with the topic at hand. That's my own bias at play, true, one that I can't help and I freely admit that...it pisses me right the hell off to see these "the Wilsons did drugs so they are bad people, m'kay" interviews on a thread featuring a question that I myself have wondered about for years. I'm almost to the point of wishing there was a separate thread/sub-forum for the Mike stuff* because once again it's overshadowing something far more interesting.

*no I'm not doing one

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2019, 11:44:02 AM »

True, but me personally, I'd rather see that (referring to these new interviews)  in its own thread rather than on anything that's supposed to be a Brian thread, unless it has to do with the topic at hand. That's my own bias at play, true, one that I can't help and I freely admit that...it pisses me right the hell off to see these "the Wilsons did drugs so they are bad people, m'kay" interviews on a thread featuring a question that I myself have wondered about for years. I'm almost to the point of wishing there was a separate thread/sub-forum for the Mike stuff* because once again it's overshadowing something far more interesting.

*no I'm not doing one

I agree, just in this case there were specific questions and comments about Mike's interviews in the past, and these two new ones (which are basically the same stock answers Mike has been repeating for years minus a few new tidbits) just happened to show up the same week as the topic some had raised.

It has been almost funny in the past to see these interviews show up in similar situations and threads about Mike's touring, or Mike's new music, or appearances, or whatever...and it's like some don't want to see Mike's own answers in his own words when they're directly related to the topics being discussed! If Mike's interviews cause so many problems, and if some circles of the fandom don't even want to see them reposted for others to read, maybe by now he (Mike, and his management) should have gotten the clue and told Mike to either tone it down or change his stock answers. Usually the best way to get someone's take on a given issue is to let their own words speak for themselves, but in Mike's case it seems his own words aren't welcome in discussions among fans, like these cases.

My opinion, again agreeing, is that Mike over the past few weeks is like Jekyll & Hyde: He posted a terrific message to Brian when the announcement of Brian taking time off was made, he revealed some great moments in these two UK interviews, but then he's right back at it trying to boost himself up by knocking the Wilsons down...yet again. It really is like Jekyll & Hyde. If more of the Mike who issued that statement on Facebook wishing Brian well would be the norm, he'd be given more slack I think.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2019, 12:41:44 PM »

"Past issues they can't let go of". You've been singing the same tune since C50 ended.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 12:46:38 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2019, 01:53:45 PM »

"Past issues they can't let go of". You've been singing the same tune since C50 ended.

I was referring to past issues related to the board and between board members, but if you see fit to take a shot at me about C50, you should demand the truth about C50 from those who have been spreading their grudge and agenda driven bullshit since 2012. You know exactly who and what I'm referring to Jay.

Now that that's on the table, why don't you post on topic about Brian in the late 70's and start some discussion if that's an issue here?

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx