gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:40:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD Availability Question (Analogue Productions)  (Read 2649 times)
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »

I'm wondering about the current availability to two specific albums on CD.

The first is Smiley Smile with the stereo mix. I'm aware there are multiple CDs with the stereo Smiley Smile--there's the Japanese pressing with mono and stereo, and Analogue Productions also has a hybrid mono/stereo one listed through Acoustic Sounds. The Japanese one seems more or less unavailable for purchase other than used for a small fortune. Is the Analogue Productions version the same mix? Can it be ripped to a computer (I've never bought an SACD before--I hear those can't be ripped normally but it might also have a regular CD layer?). Does anybody own this?

The other one is the Analogue Productions CD for Holland that came out a couple years back. I distinctly remember them adding We Got Love to the tracklist, but when I check on Acoustic Sounds now, We Got Love is no longer listed. Was the version with that as a bonus track discontinued?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 10:10:07 AM »

I'm wondering about the current availability to two specific albums on CD.

The first is Smiley Smile with the stereo mix. I'm aware there are multiple CDs with the stereo Smiley Smile--there's the Japanese pressing with mono and stereo, and Analogue Productions also has a hybrid mono/stereo one listed through Acoustic Sounds. The Japanese one seems more or less unavailable for purchase other than used for a small fortune. Is the Analogue Productions version the same mix? Can it be ripped to a computer (I've never bought an SACD before--I hear those can't be ripped normally but it might also have a regular CD layer?). Does anybody own this?

The other one is the Analogue Productions CD for Holland that came out a couple years back. I distinctly remember them adding We Got Love to the tracklist, but when I check on Acoustic Sounds now, We Got Love is no longer listed. Was the version with that as a bonus track discontinued?

All of those mono/stereo "Smiley Smile" reissues use the same mixes; the original mono and the 2012 (or whatever year) stereo remix. The SACD is a hyrbid, so it has a CD layer as well. As far as I know it's usually able to be ripped the same way a normal CD is, though I can't vouch for disc-player compatibility potential problems.

Not sure on "We Got Love" on "Holland"; the high-rez download versions of AP's release seem to still include "We Got Love."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 01:20:31 PM »

I had the same question about Holland about a year ago and I asked around on this or another board and I was told that although “We Got Love” doesn’t appear on the track listing, it appears on the actual disc. I went ahead and got a copy and lo and behold, “We Got Love” appeared as an extra hidden track. So I believe you can still get a copy with “We Got Love” on it. (It’s possible I just got lucky I suppose.) Like you, I remember back when AP originally advertised “We Got Love” appearing on the CD, not sure why they removed all references to it and turned it into some sort of mystery later on.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 02:02:44 PM »

Thanks, both of you! That answers my question. I guess I will go ahead and pick both of those up!
gxios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 04:17:03 AM »

The Japanese Smiley Smile cd has different mixes of some songs.  I recall that Heroes and Villains is missing the wavering sound effect recorded in the swimming pool, and Wonderful is missing some of the group dialog during the instrumental break.  There may be others.  They were fixed by the US release and the AP release.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 01:28:37 PM »

I had the same question about Holland about a year ago and I asked around on this or another board and I was told that although “We Got Love” doesn’t appear on the track listing, it appears on the actual disc. I went ahead and got a copy and lo and behold, “We Got Love” appeared as an extra hidden track. So I believe you can still get a copy with “We Got Love” on it. (It’s possible I just got lucky I suppose.) Like you, I remember back when AP originally advertised “We Got Love” appearing on the CD, not sure why they removed all references to it and turned it into some sort of mystery later on.

It’s on the 2LP vinyl release as well. Again no mention on the sleeve or the labels, but it’s on the bonus LP, with Mt Vernon & Fairway and WGL on side 3, and -no clue why- SOS again, but on 45RPM (it has the same time notation as the album track on side 1.

O, and it should be notee that WGL on the Analogue Productions releases is NOT the version that ended up on early promo’s from 1972 and a couple of hundred early German pressings from 1973. The AP releases on CD and LP contain a longer edit.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 01:56:39 PM »

The Japanese Smiley Smile cd has different mixes of some songs.  I recall that Heroes and Villains is missing the wavering sound effect recorded in the swimming pool, and Wonderful is missing some of the group dialog during the instrumental break.  There may be others.  They were fixed by the US release and the AP release.

Little Pad had some differences as well, particularly in the length of the delay between sections;  Wonderful also was missing some of the sound effects overdubs during the verses.  So you have the Japan 2fer, then the Capitol 2fer which fixed most of the problems with the Japan mixes, and then the Analogue Productions which had the same mix as the Capioll but in much improved sound,
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx