gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:31:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian postponing tour the day before it starts.  (Read 13609 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2019, 08:07:34 AM »

Dear friends,

It is with great regret that I need to postpone my upcoming June tour.

It is no secret that I have been living with mental illness for many decades. There were times when it was unbearable but with doctors and medications I have been able to live a wonderful, healthy and productive life with support from my family, friends and fans who have helped me through this journey.

As you may know in the last year or so I’ve had 3 surgeries on my back. The surgeries were successful and i’m physically stronger than i’ve been in a long time.

However, after my last surgery i started feeling strange and it’s been pretty scary for awhile. I was not feeling like myself. Mentally insecure is how I’d describe it. We're not sure what is causing it but i do know that it’s not good for me to be on the road right now so I’m heading back to Los Angeles.

I had every intention to do these shows and was excited to get back to performing. I've been in the studio recording and rehearsing with my band and have been feeling better. But then it crept back and I’ve been struggling with stuff in my head and saying things I don’t mean and I don’t know why. Its something i’ve never dealt with before and we cant quite figure it out just yet.

I’m going to rest, recover and work with my doctors on this.

I’m looking forward to my recovery and seeing everyone later in the year.

The music and my fans keep me going and I know this will be something I can AGAIN overcome.

Love & Mercy,

Brian Wilson
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »

Bummer.  Oh well the dude is pushing 80 years old.  Hopefully he recovers and can get back at it though.  I am intrigued at what it is he's been recording though...

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 08:12:37 AM »

All the best wishes to Brian! I hope he'll be feeling better soon

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 08:14:07 AM »

I question the "physically stronger" part...he was in a wheelchair during the streamed concert a couple of weeks ago, and at the Christmas show, he was struggling to walk, wincing in pain.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »

Let the man retire with grace and grant him some peacefull last few years of his life.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 08:18:25 AM »

I'm glad he's taking this action.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Zombies tour is canceled too.  This doesn't sound like the type of thing you kick in a few months.
We shall see.

Prayers for Brian.

He's given us so much.. he's the greatest.. Put yourself first, bro.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2019, 08:20:57 AM »

Knowing how back stuff works, while I always carry a healthy amount of skepticism, I woudn't pretend to know or characterize how Brian *feels* in terms of his back stuff. One can heal and have much better core strength but still have a level of weakness or take precautions that would dictate a wheelchair.

But I can't fathom that anybody would want to use mental/emotional issues as a cover story for a physical ailment.

I'm not saying anything here is a "cover story", but when that sort of stuff occurs, it would tend to be using a seemingly "normal" physical ailment like continuing back problems and surgeries (which is not to downplay the seriousness of back problems; it can ruin lives) as a cover for a more serious health issue, mental or physical.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 08:22:37 AM »

This is a terrible thought, and I hate myself for even entertaining the idea, but it almost sounds like the onset of dementia. I hope I’m completely wrong; it’s just that the symptoms described sound familiar to those of us who’ve had to say a long goodbye to a loved one.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:24:37 AM by AKA » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2019, 08:25:00 AM »

This is a terrible thought, and I hate myself for even entertaining the idea, but it almost sounds like the onset of dementia. I hope I’m completely wrong; it’s just that some of the symptoms described sound familiar to those of us who’ve had to say a long goodbye to a loved one.

I'll admit that I had that thought too. "Saying things I don't mean." But we shouldn't speculate. I'm glad Brian is doing what he needs to do to take care of himself, and I hope he recovers soon.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 08:26:54 AM »

No one else walks in this man's shoes and knows what's going on.

Maybe the best course of action is to simply wish him the best on the most basic human level, and let the public statement stand as what it is, rather than trying to find conspiracies or other hidden "facts" to challenge or dispute it. We've had more than enough of that nonsense to last several lifetimes in recent years...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
AKA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 08:27:20 AM »

This is a terrible thought, and I hate myself for even entertaining the idea, but it almost sounds like the onset of dementia. I hope I’m completely wrong; it’s just that some of the symptoms described sound familiar to those of us who’ve had to say a long goodbye to a loved one.

I'll admit that I had that thought too. "Saying things I don't mean." But we shouldn't speculate. I'm glad Brian is doing what he needs to do to take care of himself, and I hope he recovers soon.
Agreed. Health first!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 08:44:33 AM »

While I think wild conspiracy theories and specific armchair diagnoses are a bad idea, I don't think some respectful speculative discussion is out of line. Admittedly, there's a fine line to walk here, and there is a limit to how much we can even speculate based off of little information.

But I'm confident we can keep it respectful. I mean, to be honest, if there's anything many of us are trying to quash or suppress at this moment, it's not inflammatory conspiracy theories but rather a more pointed expressing of our deepest fears of what this could mean or portend.

But he's a friggin' human being and he's being surprisingly open about the situation, and that should always be respected.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 08:46:50 AM »

I am honestly glad to see this, even if it cancels the show I bought tickets to. It's been hard not to be concerned for Brian after some of the recent reports and knowing that another grueling summer/fall tour was starting up for him. I love the guy and he's brought us so much happiness. I'm glad to see he is putting his health first.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 09:14:07 AM »

Mike just posted on Facebook:

Today, I read a message shared by my cousin Brian. My heart is swollen with love, compassion, concern, and thoughtful well wishes for a speedy recovery. Brian, you have fought bravely your battle with mental illness, I have no doubts that you will triumph and move gracefully past this speed bump. Let the music that lives deeply inside you carry you to your highest beautiful self, I will carry you in music every night we perform. I am cheering for you!”

I Love You Cuz and I hope and pray to see you soon.

Peace & Love
Cousin Mike

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 09:30:23 AM »

Today, I read a message shared by my cousin Brian. My heart is swollen with love, compassion, concern, and thoughtful well wishes for a speedy recovery. Brian, you have fought bravely your battle with mental illness, I have no doubts that you will triumph and move gracefully past this speed bump. Let the music that lives deeply inside you carry you to your highest beautiful self, I will carry you in music every night we perform. I am cheering for you!”

Peace & Love
Cousin Mike

Wow. I don't know where this Mike has been hiding all these years but we need to see more of him. That's a lovely sentiment.

coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 09:49:38 AM »

I know it's nothing but speculation at this point but I took the "saying things I don't mean" to mean the pain has caused him to become irritable to the point that he's snapping at those around him. I'm hoping that's the case vs. the alternative. 

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 09:54:38 AM »

Peace & Love
Cousin Mike

I could be mistaken, but this may be the very first time I've *ever* heard Mike publicly refer to the term "mental illness" with regards to Brian, without bringing up drugs. Like literally I don't think he's ever ever done that before. I'm really glad to hear him talk that way.

My own heart aches reading Brian's statement. I wish him well like the rest of us.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 09:54:39 AM »

I know it's nothing but speculation at this point but I took the "saying things I don't mean" to mean the pain has caused him to become irritable to the point that he's snapping at those around him. I'm hoping that's the case vs. the alternative. 

Those are certainly two possible interpretations. I obviously hope for the best of interpretations, but my takeaway/interpretation upon reading that statement was not that pain is causing lashing out and saying things he doesn't mean. I hope it's not the "alternative", but that's where Brian's statement led me in my interpretation.

I think we can all agree that his statement indicates he's having more than physical problems, and in fact he seems to feel his back physically is doing better.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2019, 09:57:37 AM »

Peace & Love
Cousin Mike

I could be mistaken, but this may be the very first time I've *ever* heard Mike publicly refer to the term "mental illness" with regards to Brian, without bringing up drugs. Like literally I don't think he's ever ever done that before. I'm really glad to hear him talk that way.

My own heart aches reading Brian's statement. I wish him well like the rest of us.

I think Mike has, to varying degrees, addressed Brian's mental illness and how the band/others back in the olden days weren't aware/familiar with those issues as much, and Mike has sometimes done so without bringing up drugs. It's usually only when he does a more thorough, thoughtful sit-down. Here's a bit from Jason Fine's 2012 C50 Rolling Stone article:

“When we were younger,” Love continues, “no one really knew what was wrong with Brian. Nobody knew about mental illness. We just had no clue about that as kids, as cousins and brothers, growing up. . . . I think there’s probably a tad bit more compassion that goes into our being together now. And I think there’s sensitivity to the fact that there’s only a limited amount of time left for this cast of characters to do what they do. There’s a lifespan involved here.”

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »

This seems plausible, not dementia which definitely doesn't read like the right interpretation. In fact, it's wrong.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 10:11:19 AM »

My heart sank when I saw the message that the upcoming shows are cancelled.  For months I have been looking forward to seeing Brian, Al and the band in Burlington on Sunday.  I am really sad that that's not happening.  But I am far more sad about why it's not happening.  The message from Brian is heartbreaking.  It is definitely the right decision to prioritize health over work/touring and I sincerely hope that Brian gets better very soon.  
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:25:25 AM by marcella27 » Logged
carolinablonde
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2019, 11:23:23 AM »

Speaking as someone who has had mild depression and severe anxiety for 20+ years - sometimes the anxiety will cause me to lash out at loved ones and say things I don't mean and later regret.  When I read Brian's statement, I felt like that was what was happening to him - not pain or even dementia. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2019, 11:26:35 AM »

I really do no like this.

Take all the time you need and feel better Brian   Sad
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:27:48 AM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »

You know, I'm thinking that for those who are very worried (count me among them) it could be that Brian just mentally knew he couldn't handle these upcoming dates. He just didn't have it in him. I remember when I was 19 I knew that I wasn't going to be able to handle another college semester away from home. I freaked, I guess I'd say I had a breakdown. And that was that. I dropped out (just for that semester) and later went back to school after getting my head back in shape. Or shoot, just while typing this, perhaps it was another 1964 plane type deal for Brian. He just realized he couldn't do it. The brain is a crazy thing and who knows what pushes us to certain points.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but who knows?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2019, 11:51:33 AM »

I’m at a loss right now and I really don’t know what  to say really.  The man’s my idol and not just musically, but  glad he’s taking time for himself.  I could tell it wasn’t just his back , that he was dealing with some sh*t.  I admire the fact that he’s saying what’s really going on, because it would’ve been easy to say it was his back.  But he’s got this, I know he does.  From what he said it seemed like it got real bad after his third back surgery. I wouldn’t be surprised if his pain medications were messing with his other medications. From current personal experience I know there can be interference , and if an adjustment had been made he may need time off for that. If you’re in medication for mental illness it can be a crapshoot.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 11:56:36 AM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx