gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:11:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ronny and The Daytonas  (Read 4292 times)
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2019, 06:43:33 PM »

was there any connection with the group and The Beach Boys?
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 11:47:42 PM »

The only connection really is the style of music, as they - they, meaning John Wilkin as it was his ‘group’ - were most definitely inspired by The Beach Boys’ early surf/hot rod hits as they released several Beach Boy-type tunes. My Little Scrambler, Little GTO, California Bound, Little Rail Job, Beach Boy all had that ‘feel’ to them while their later introspective songs such as Sandy and I’ll Think Of Summer moved away from the surf genre but still had a Brian influence.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:50:46 AM »

Their album Sandy from '66 is low-to-no budget Pet Sounds. It's a must-listen for fans of Today-era Beach Boys and Brian productions. Fantastic melodies with beautiful chords and twists and turns.

Here's the tracklist. It's on this "Complete Recordings" set on Spotify, but here's the tracklist
1. Sandy
  2. Hold Me My Baby
  3. Baby Say No
  4. When Stars Shine Bright
  5. Be Good to Your Baby
  6. If I Had My Way
  7. Then the Rains Came
  8. Nanci
  9. Somebody to Love Me
  10. Come Into My Heart
  11. I'll Think of Summer
  12. So in Love
  13. Goodbye Baby
  14. Teenage Years

https://open.spotify.com/album/1fB1c8AYgdtENfKuaUfRVW?si=5qZA43xrTzqgX2yECIg1fw
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 06:56:31 AM »

Their album Sandy from '66 is low-to-no budget Pet Sounds. It's a must-listen for fans of Today-era Beach Boys and Brian productions. Fantastic melodies with beautiful chords and twists and turns.

Here's the tracklist. It's on this "Complete Recordings" set on Spotify, but here's the tracklist
1. Sandy
  2. Hold Me My Baby
  3. Baby Say No
  4. When Stars Shine Bright
  5. Be Good to Your Baby
  6. If I Had My Way
  7. Then the Rains Came
  8. Nanci
  9. Somebody to Love Me
  10. Come Into My Heart
  11. I'll Think of Summer
  12. So in Love
  13. Goodbye Baby
  14. Teenage Years

https://open.spotify.com/album/1fB1c8AYgdtENfKuaUfRVW?si=5qZA43xrTzqgX2yECIg1fw

Absolutely agree on this. I discovered the LP a few years back and I blown away by it. I really love the song "When Stars Shine Bright". This album is in the same vein/mood as Marc Eric's Midsummer Day's Dream and Jan & Dean's Save For A Rainy Day.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 11:13:10 AM »

Thank you for the recommendation, I was not aware of this and it has been a really good rabbit hole.
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:27:34 PM »

I acquired all the Ronny & The Daytonas stuff – surf/hot rod album, plus the more mellow tracks side – quite a few years ago and I remember being very impressed at the time. John Wilson also released one single under the Buzz & Bucky moniker – Tiger A-Go-Go/Bay City. Tiger A-Go-Go was very much a Beach Boys-style pastiche number, just like the Ronny stuff, while Bay City was a mellow instrumental. An interesting fact here is that the Buzz was Buzz Cason, chiefly remembered for being the co-songwriter off the huge 60s hit Everlasting Love, by Love Affair. (Love Affair also have an interesting history, given they were an accomplished R&B outfit, who were then replaced by session musicians for their biggest-ever hit, but that's another story).

John Wilkin was, in a way, a type of Gary Usher figure, who produced and recorded tracks in the studio, but who then had to recruit a band (including the likes of Lynn Williams, Lee Kraft, etc... when they became in-demand as a touring band. Not sure how much of their touring 'group' actually played on the records, a bit like The Hondells really.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 11:04:17 PM »

Thank you for the recommendation, I was not aware of this and it has been a really good rabbit hole.
Хаха, ужасно скучная рекоммендация - скучные песенки, скучная группа, у тебя вообще все в порядке со слухом? Cheesy Алло?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 03:15:08 AM »

Хаха, ужасно скучная рекоммендация - скучные песенки, скучная группа, у тебя вообще все в порядке со слухом? Cheesy Алло?

Everybody must think about the others here, not be selfish & real pain in the neck. Speak English. Be respectful to every reader here.

Ok....I’m missing something here....
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 04:00:58 AM »

Precisely. You proved everybody must speak English in multi-lingual board, not different native languages. Else it's going to be real chaos to wade thru. I did it since kid presentable did it & everybody took it fine. Figured will do the same & see how it's met. Obviously not very well.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 04:09:16 PM »

Oh give me a break.   Roll Eyes
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 10:41:02 PM »

You too. Roll Eyes

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 11:12:51 PM »

Can we please not do this?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 11:44:44 PM »

Can we please not do this?
Agree, it wasn't some poster Rebel's business, not sure why they butted in. Their fault, shouldn't start.
I shall ignore whoever it is next time.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:45:23 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 11:46:53 AM »

You posted your comment in your native language explicitly as ‘revenge’ or to prove a point and goad a response. I stand by my reply to you - then you cast blame and say it’s MY fault, and that -I- shouldn’t have butted in on a public message board. Meaning you have some sort of score to settle with someone. Ergo, give me a break. If you’re mad at someone and trying to prove a point, PM them or take it to admins.

Give me a break.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2019, 12:06:50 PM »

You posted your comment in your native language explicitly as ‘revenge’ or to prove a point and goad a response
That seems to be the case. I thought we hashed this out already?!

If you’re mad at someone and trying to prove a point, PM them or take it to admins.

Agreed, and *without* posting something in response first. That goes the other way around too, and for anybody

That said ...this ends here. Next response in regards to this gets a month-long suspension
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:11:09 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2019, 04:07:39 PM »

Hey Rebel, check pm's.

Back to topic - I really can't stand Ronny & The Daytonas - annoyng little ditties, boring as heck, that band is not in the same league as Beach Boys, THAT'S for sure. Wait, there's single song I actually like by them, stn. like snow or winter in the title. Nice tune kinda.
But everything else they play in the kitchen radio by this band? Meh, blah, zzzzz.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 02:03:42 PM »

'K, found that goshdarn song's name I kinda like - "Winter Weather". Pretty nice vocs, nice tiny choon. Besides, re-listened to catalog to see if anything's good & you know what? Still boring ditties, this band's pure trash. 0/10. -1000/5. Get the picture? 3D

See, folks? Least I say sth. related to thread subject, not being complete tool & weiiiirdo by *randomly* butting in with dumb as heck "give me a break" with banal predictable roll eye.

Sure, there's people who dislike these "hate" views. Hate to break it to you, folks, but this is free board, i.e. it musn't be about just lovey-dovey stuff like "wow this is cool, great song, great singer" blah blah. I like saying things I hate, y'know? It's dull to just say things you like. People like to repeat cliched phrase "Respect each side/ viewpoint". Then respect the "hate bands/albums/songs/singers" speeches. Ta.

Now. Back to subject. Larry, the best music blogger, praised in the past posts the Wilkin chap, said he'd written songs to the other musicians. I decided to check this info, listen to songs - perhaps THEY will sway my ears (frankly, don't believe it but, there may be few goodies).

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx