gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:00:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dave Clark Five  (Read 2938 times)
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2020, 10:39:02 AM »

Any love for the DC5 over here?  Since the group vanished from the airwaves after the '80's or so (and I was born after that), I discovered the band from the 2014 PBS documentary.  I had to import a 2008 UK compilation into the US to listen to the band's music if I didn't have access to YouTube.  Now, Dave Clark finally (and way too late, but I guess(?) better late than never, re-released that comp* and plans to follow with the entire catalogue.  Let's start with "Glad All Over:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yvmaurvf98

*though I've heard the US version only has half of the tracks the UK version does, so I guess if the vinyl also follows that logic, I'll have to import again.

Does anyone know where I can find some actual research on the band's history, besides UK session drummer Bobby Graham's out-of-print autobiography?  I'd love to see how much Graham actually drummed on.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 02:25:48 AM »

Hi ASL,

I'll get back to you on this as soon as I can. Wink   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 10:54:50 AM »

They were VERY popular here in the States back around 1964-66 or so.
Can’t count how many times I saw them on the Ed Sullivan variety show back then.
Yes, I was and am a fan . Sorry though that I can’t answer your query.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 03:27:33 PM »

Does anyone know where I can find some actual research on the band's history, besides UK session drummer Bobby Graham's out-of-print autobiography?  I'd love to see how much Graham actually drummed on.

Accounts vary from Clark saying he played on everything to Graham saying he played on everything! We'll probably never know.

This is my favourite DC5 track, a cover of The Contours' "Do You Love Me". It knocks spots off the insipid version by Brian Poole and the Tremeloes! Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIstQ-DgZ8Y
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:28:02 PM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 05:36:31 PM »

Lots of great songs.
Think my favorite is “Catch Us If You Can”

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 03:59:25 AM »

I remember they were big in the UK in the mid 60s (I was a fan of US stuff at the time) but they must have been overwhelmed by the adulation that came their way in the US!

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 07:44:30 PM »

I've got a 45 of a press conference with DC5 in (i'm guessing) 1964. The reporters keep making comparisons to the Beatles, and Clark says "we understand that they were here first, but we have a completely different sound, we've got organ and saxophone". They were one of the best singles bands of what I think was the best era of popular music, 1964-66. Anyone is going to come off as second best compared to the Beatles, but they really deserve credit for coming up with some of the best rock and roll records of any era.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 01:59:23 AM »

While reading various articles about the DC5 (thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, LS!), it seems there was initially some resistence to the band releasing a ballad as the A-side in the US. Still, "Because" was a massive Stateside hit.

I haven't heard this track in more than half a century! What message boards aren't good for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpLZJxj7B2A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Because_(The_Dave_Clark_Five_song)

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 07:15:23 PM »

While reading various articles about the DC5 (thanks for the trip down Memory Lane, LS!), it seems there was initially some resistence to the band releasing a ballad as the A-side in the US. Still, "Because" was a massive Stateside hit.

I haven't heard this track in more than half a century! What message boards aren't good for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpLZJxj7B2A

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Because_(The_Dave_Clark_Five_song)

I think that song was the closest they ever came to sounding like the Beatles.
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 08:55:17 AM »

Dave owned the band and had the other members on salary -- despite the other guys doing the actual singing and writing (though Dave always stuck his name on the songwriting credits). If you watch the band perform on a YouTube clip, you see Dave front and center on the drums pretending to sing, and the others off to the side. A messed up band situation.

That said, the DC5 rocked harder than any other band circa '64.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx