gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:36:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys on SiriusXM 2019  (Read 7333 times)
WesB8302
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm thinkin' bout this whole world...

View Profile WWW
« on: May 16, 2019, 10:38:16 AM »

Has anyone heard if SiriusXM is going to bring back their Beach Boys channel this summer?  I kept my car radio locked to it last year and loved hearing tracks that I'd never heard before. I was hoping they would make it a permanent station, but from the looks of things it was apparently a one time deal.    Sad Sad

HELP!  I can't find the "Any" key....
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 10:47:41 AM »

Haven't heard yet, either. Was hoping that it could at least be an annual limited time channel, such as the channel for "Carolina Beach Music" that plays later in the summer around Labor Day.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »

Agreed, this was great fun last year, would love to see it make a return.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 05:45:47 PM »

Was just thinking the same thing today. But since Memorial Day weekend is next weekend it would have to be later on in the summer I suppose. I would think it did well for serius but who knows
Margarita
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 08:08:51 AM »

FWIW, last year, the channel launched the Thursday before Memorial Day Weekend, and was announced only a day or two before that.  So if it's going to happen like last year, we won't know anything until next week.

But she's still dancing in the night unafraid of what a dude'll do in a town full of Heroes and Villains...
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 08:34:10 AM »

I hope they do it again too. It made for very enjoyable long-distance drives last summer, and the guest DJ/host spots were great.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 08:20:52 PM »

I was a little disappointed when I first saw the thread because I thought it was announced...so you can tell I definitely want this back. I learned so much from the channel and it was most of what I listened to during my drives to and from my afternoon/evening shifts.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 08:57:38 PM »

I was hoping to hear/see something from Al. He was the one who first indicated in early May 2018 that there would be a channel for Beach Boys music around Memorial Day (although I assumed thankfully incorrectly that it would only be on a week or two).

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 09:08:58 PM »

Maybe we should petition or contact Sirius

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2019, 09:52:43 PM »

Didn’t we already try last September? I’m definitely up to try again but I’m pretty sure there was a petition with a ton of signatures.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »

I wonder how well the station did to warrant a return to it.  Didn't they yank it off air a little earlier than planned last year?  It was fun to have them go gung ho on the deep cuts but I wonder if it scared off the casual listeners.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2019, 01:17:01 PM »

I called Sirius last year and talked to someone about having a permanent Beach Boys channel. Obviously the band for whatever reasons don’t want it.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 03:53:48 PM »

That sounds right . Why would you want to put things out like live shows that might get people interested or rarities. 58 years and they still don’t know how to market themselves.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 04:48:24 PM »

It would be bad decision to get channel permanent. The BBs this time could be right. Tbh, I wish they don't repeat it this year. Besides, I can't even access it, Sirius is U.S. station.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 06:28:18 AM »

It would be bad decision to get channel permanent. The BBs this time could be right. Tbh, I wish they don't repeat it this year. Besides, I can't even access it, Sirius is U.S. station.

First of all, I don't think there's *any* evidence that the band or BRI "decided" not to make the channel permanent. I'm pretty sure SiriusXM would make that decision, and there's no reason to think BRI would disagree with keeping it permanent.

I can't see any downside to having the channel. I think the channel could have been run better (as I mentioned last year, after asking around and sniffing around, from what I heard SiriusXM turned down active input from outside BB experts, including those who closely have worked with BRI in the past and continue to do so, to help with aspects of the channel and decided to do it all "in-house", hence we got only a small amount of "guest DJ" sort of features, and they were done by people already employed by SiriusXM), and I don't think the channel was a big of a boost to the BB brand as it *could have been* due to the kind of limp management of the channel. But I still don't see any see any particular downside to making the channel permanent, and certainly no apparent downside to doing it again as a "seasonal" channel this year. ESPECIALLY if they were persuaded to let the channel work in some BB experts to help program the channel and do hosting and other gigs on the channel, folks like Boyd, Stebbins, Edelson, etc.

Bummer if you can't access it ouside the US, but I wouldn't advocate against a radio station if it wasn't available in the US. Indeed, we've seen multiple BBC docs related to the BBs that not only *never* aired in the US nor saw official release, but have been continually pulled off YouTube when someone tries to post them.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 06:30:19 AM »

Didn’t we already try last September? I’m definitely up to try again but I’m pretty sure there was a petition with a ton of signatures.

I had the impression the petitions last year were more about continuing the channel at that point, and/or making the channel permanent. I figured if they were going to make it a seasonal thing for the following summer, we woudln't hear anything until the following year.

I can only imagine the BB channel would have immediately or pretty quickly been made permanent (or extended further) had it seen HUGE numbers for SiriusXM. But I could still envision more "limited" runs like last year.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 06:32:33 AM »

I called Sirius last year and talked to someone about having a permanent Beach Boys channel. Obviously the band for whatever reasons don’t want it.

I don't see any evidence the band or BRI have blocked a continuation of the channel. I mean, we don't know anything for sure. But I don't think there's much of any band, especially a band with such *sparse* representation of radio as it is (e.g. little to no classic rock radio presence, and only a small hand full of songs still surviving on "oldies" radio), that would *not* want their own SiriusXM channel. I would imagine SiriusXM is making decisions based on the "ratings" numbers (as such, to the degree they can measure those numbers).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 06:57:33 AM »

Also worth mentioning that the impression I got last year was that the SiriusXM thing may have happened through BRI's president Jerry Schilling, as he had done some stuff with SiriusXM in recent years prior to hooking up with the Beach Boys again.

I would guess he worked on doing the BB channel, and I'd guess he was also a big part of brokering the "Town Hall" sort-of-reunion for last year.

So I think BRI has actually actively pursued doing the channel.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 09:48:30 AM »

First of all, I don't think there's *any* evidence that the band or BRI "decided" not to make the channel permanent. I'm pretty sure SiriusXM would make that decision, and there's no reason to think BRI would disagree with keeping it permanent.

I can't see any downside to having the channel. I think the channel could have been run better (as I mentioned last year, after asking around and sniffing around, from what I heard SiriusXM turned down active input from outside BB experts, including those who closely have worked with BRI in the past and continue to do so, to help with aspects of the channel and decided to do it all "in-house", hence we got only a small amount of "guest DJ" sort of features, and they were done by people already employed by SiriusXM), and I don't think the channel was a big of a boost to the BB brand as it *could have been* due to the kind of limp management of the channel. But I still don't see any see any particular downside to making the channel permanent, and certainly no apparent downside to doing it again as a "seasonal" channel this year. ESPECIALLY if they were persuaded to let the channel work in some BB experts to help program the channel and do hosting and other gigs on the channel, folks like Boyd, Stebbins, Edelson, etc.

Bummer if you can't access it ouside the US, but I wouldn't advocate against a radio station if it wasn't available in the US. Indeed, we've seen multiple BBC docs related to the BBs that not only *never* aired in the US nor saw official release, but have been continually pulled off YouTube when someone tries to post them.

I think the guest host spots sat just right in the programming. Just small doses of recognizable people outside the whole historian/scholar sphere playing BB's music which they have a personal connection to and explaining what it is about those specific songs that makes them such fans. And in some cases it was neat to hear some actors who we as fans may not have been aware shared our deep love of the music expressing it, like we could connect with them and in some cases agree with the exact reasons why they were singling out certain songs.

Not at all directed at the sampling of names you list, far from it...but I really don't need to hear a lecture delivered by certain "historians", "scholars", or "experts" given the events of the previous years. No thanks...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 12:37:46 PM »

The idea behind having folks from the BB camps (e.g. Boyd, Linett, Edelson) would not be a "lecture", it would be simply help/advice in programming the station, and, perhaps, some roundtable discussion bits or other types of things where they would be interviewed. Essentially, variations or extensions on what the in-house SiriusXM people ended up doing on the channel.

Have Stebbins and Edelson spin bits of the hundreds of hours of interviews they have with all the guys over the years, intesrpersed with guest DJ bits. Those guys know how it works; that you can't play five hours straight of "15 Big Ones" and "So Tough" material exclusively. But they could have helped them to avoid playing "Mother May I" seventeen times per day.

Also, just more BRI involvement would be great. It would seem to be the perfect outlet to air some unreleased concerts and things of that nature. The closest we ever got to that was the channel spinning the Oak Ridge Boys 1985 4th of July live collaboration and other stuff from that album.

Certainly, there area a dozen BB experts that could put together a "Top 10" as interesting if not more so than David Fricke.

It got pretty thin at some points on that run last year on the channel. I can't remember who it was, but at one point they had a soundbite from some celebrity (likely in the midst of plugging something else at SiriusXM) whose BB-related anecdote was literally something like "I remember hearing Beach Boys music in the 60s."

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 07:19:00 PM »

The idea behind having folks from the BB camps (e.g. Boyd, Linett, Edelson) would not be a "lecture", it would be simply help/advice in programming the station, and, perhaps, some roundtable discussion bits or other types of things where they would be interviewed. Essentially, variations or extensions on what the in-house SiriusXM people ended up doing on the channel.

Have Stebbins and Edelson spin bits of the hundreds of hours of interviews they have with all the guys over the years, intesrpersed with guest DJ bits. Those guys know how it works; that you can't play five hours straight of "15 Big Ones" and "So Tough" material exclusively. But they could have helped them to avoid playing "Mother May I" seventeen times per day.

Also, just more BRI involvement would be great. It would seem to be the perfect outlet to air some unreleased concerts and things of that nature. The closest we ever got to that was the channel spinning the Oak Ridge Boys 1985 4th of July live collaboration and other stuff from that album.

Certainly, there area a dozen BB experts that could put together a "Top 10" as interesting if not more so than David Fricke.

It got pretty thin at some points on that run last year on the channel. I can't remember who it was, but at one point they had a soundbite from some celebrity (likely in the midst of plugging something else at SiriusXM) whose BB-related anecdote was literally something like "I remember hearing Beach Boys music in the 60s."

I'd definitely be down with Howie doing a guest spot

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx