gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:20:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brians caring personality  (Read 7416 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2019, 03:45:32 PM »

I get the point of the thread and, nothing against the original poster, but I hate when someone needs to be built up in the face of someone else being torn down.

There is good and bad in MOST people. But, the fact that almost literally every thread on this board ends up turning into a "Mike is Satan" thread is honestly exhausting.

I love the deep knowledge and never-ending discoveries involving the band that come to light here! But, the negativity drags things down to a ridiculous level.

The fact? Your statement is downright false (and easily proven to be false) and a narrative that has been pushed for far too long by people too pissed off that Mike has done enough crap in his life to the point that it is hard to not bring it up in certain threads. That being said, look at the General On Topic Discussion page and most every thread doesn't devolve into a "Mike is Satan" thread....also interesting that lines like this one get completely made up to make the reality look worse than it is. It's kinda funny that when you search "Mike is Satan" on this forum, the only people who have written it are Mike apologists in an attempt to completely exaggerate the issue. So good going guys, the line "Mike is Satan" only exists because of you.

First off, the post begins by talking "everywhere there is talk about Mikes big ego," so maybe the original poster needs to be taken to task as well if you're going to call me out...

Actually NOT a Mike Love apologist at all, just a guy who loves this band and gets tired of so much infighting and negativity.

I haven't actually taken a scientific survey of these threads, but it sure seems like an awful lot end up, at least, incorporating the whole Brian vs Mike nonsense.

And, please read between the lines. I used " Mike is Satan" as a catchall for everyone that has to constantly pile on about it. I didn't mean that people were literally, constantly referring to Mike Love as Satan.

@positivemusic, you made an outlandish accusation that paints this forum in a bad light. Pardon for obviously striking a nerve with you, but I have seen this accusation hurled at this forum far too many times and I will call it out when I see it.

You using a "catchall" that refers to Mike as friggin Satan doesn't at all put fellow posters here who are more critical of Mike in a good light...It just adds to the negativity. I honestly don't understand why an over-the-top metaphor is even necessary in this context...nor why it has been used many times already on this forum.

Frankly, I think, like you, we're all getting tired of the negativity. I think Mike is tired of the negativity. Mike hasn't said a negative word about Brian in the media in quite some time now, this board has been really chill lately because of it. If we don't want negativity, perhaps we shouldn't over-exaggerate things here that paint people negatively.

As for OP's "everywhere there is talk about Mikes big ego" statement, I don't really see how his statement relates to painting this forum in a negative light. OP claimed that Mike's ego is a talking point everywhere - and when Rolling Stone writes a piece on ML, yeah, his ego is mentioned. When Mike goes on a talkshow, traits of his ego are usually brought up. So I don't think I disagree with OP's statement much at all.

But whether you intended it or not, you did imply that people here devolve almost every thread into Mike bashing, which is simply completely untrue.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2019, 05:45:59 PM »

Brian, Carl and Dennis have always given me the impression that they were all deeply caring people who also struggled with great personal difficulties, much of it rooted to how they were mistreated by their father.
Since you mentioned Dennis, I read years back that he gave money to some lady (secretary? the other worker?); she got into financial trouble, maybe debt she must pay but couldn't & he, I think, seen her in the street in despair by the car & generously freely gave her money without need to pay it back. Or did he buy her new car? Either event or 2 events towards 2 different ladies. If smb. can tell the truth about it, what really took place, who Dennis helped related above - thank you in advance.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2019, 09:00:06 AM »

Brian, Carl and Dennis have always given me the impression that they were all deeply caring people who also struggled with great personal difficulties, much of it rooted to how they were mistreated by their father.
Since you mentioned Dennis, I read years back that he gave money to some lady (secretary? the other worker?); she got into financial trouble, maybe debt she must pay but couldn't & he, I think, seen her in the street in despair by the car & generously freely gave her money without need to pay it back. Or did he buy her new car? Either event or 2 events towards 2 different ladies. If smb. can tell the truth about it, what really took place, who Dennis helped related above - thank you in advance.

I don't think this is the reference, but when I was a 17 year-old fan/go-pher running errands for the BBs. I actually damaged Fred Vail's car (a Thunderbird, I think). I was trying to pull together the money to pay him for the damage. Dennis heard of this, called me into the "vault" - Nick Grillo's office with a sliding door operated by his secretary - There sat Fred and Dennis. Dennis asked me what happened, and I told him that I had damaged Fred's car and was trying to find other work to pay him back. Dennis immediately threw a wad of cash on the desk and dramatically said, "Is this enough, Fred?" I turned to Dennis and said, "how can I pay you back?" He replied, "the way your face lights up whenever you can do something for us is enough payment." I then left the office tearfully as the little fan. It was very sweet.

I learned decades later from Fred that Dennis immediately took the money back after I left. I thought it was hilarious at that point. I mean, the BBs were paying him, so I'm sure he was financially secure.

So, so Dennis. So, so funny. If that would have actually financially hurt Fred, I'm sure Dennis would have taken care of it...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:12:08 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2019, 01:05:07 AM »

It always struck me that during the campfire film, Brian was the first person who was concerned that a child was about to walk into the fire.
Star Trek V?  Grin

LOL It is quite possible they all sang Row, Row, Row Your Boat at one point.

And roasted "marshmelons" as well.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2019, 10:42:12 AM »

I don't think this is the reference, but when I was a 17 year-old fan/go-pher running errands for the BBs. I actually damaged Fred Vail's car (a Thunderbird, I think). I was trying to pull together the money to pay him for the damage. Dennis heard of this, called me into the "vault" - Nick Grillo's office with a sliding door operated by his secretary - There sat Fred and Dennis. Dennis asked me what happened, and I told him that I had damaged Fred's car and was trying to find other work to pay him back. Dennis immediately threw a wad of cash on the desk and dramatically said, "Is this enough, Fred?" I turned to Dennis and said, "how can I pay you back?" He replied, "the way your face lights up whenever you can do something for us is enough payment." I then left the office tearfully as the little fan. It was very sweet.

I learned decades later from Fred that Dennis immediately took the money back after I left. I thought it was hilarious at that point. I mean, the BBs were paying him, so I'm sure he was financially secure.

So, so Dennis. So, so funny. If that would have actually financially hurt Fred, I'm sure Dennis would have taken care of it...

That's a sweet story. Denny was a good guy to make sure you weren't worried about fixing it.
I wonder if Fred drove his T-bird with Fun, Fun, Fun on the brain.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2019, 03:57:11 PM »

That's a sweet story. Denny was a good guy to make sure you weren't worried about fixing it.

Dennis was a good guy, with a wicked, irresistible sense of humor. Fred's T-bird was during the time that they were pretty big sedans (obviously bigger than I thought when I rounded that corner  Evil), and it was mint green. Fred had a live-in girlfriend at the time, so I suspect the "fun, fun, fun" was limited.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2019, 05:52:44 PM »

Dennis was a good guy, with a wicked, irresistible sense of humor. Fred's T-bird was during the time that they were pretty big sedans (obviously bigger than I thought when I rounded that corner  Evil), and it was mint green. Fred had a live-in girlfriend at the time, so I suspect the "fun, fun, fun" was limited.

Smiley Love to hear these stories, Debbie.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx