gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:11:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Songs from here and back  (Read 4536 times)
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:00:08 AM »

Do you really think "good vibes" and "Nice" are from 1989? for me, they sound like 70s performances (74, 75...)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 03:07:38 AM »

Do you really think "good vibes" and "Nice" are from 1989? for me, they sound like 70s performances (74, 75...)

They are. Both recorded in 1974. IIRC it's in the credits.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 05:15:12 AM »

In the credit, I only see "tracks 1-9, recorded live in universal amphitheater... can't find something else!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 07:51:55 AM »

Those two tracks are definitely from 1974. Not sure why the liner notes/back cover was so vague about the dates.

It may well have been that Hallmark preferred that the compilation have the appearance of something a bit more "new" than it actually was. It was decades-old live recordings with three solo studio tracks, one of which had already been released (another of which had been circulating for a few years by 2006, and the other which was a re-recording of something that had been aired decades earlier on TV).

I'm guessing the compilation ultimately didn't sell that well. Years after it was OOP, it was still super cheap online. Hallmark had also discussed a mainstream release  (e.g. beyond Hallmark stores) of the CD down the road, and that of course never happened either.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 09:12:20 AM »

I THINK that GV on this compilation is the audio from the Dick Clark New Years Eve taping in late '74.  I'm not positive.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 12:19:28 AM »

Thanks! That's why those 2 tracks are far better than the others!!!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 01:00:31 AM »

I THINK that GV on this compilation is the audio from the Dick Clark New Years Eve taping in late '74.  I'm not positive.

I don't have the thing at hand but I think Dennis was mentioned as being present on WIBN and GV, but he wasn't on the New ear's Eve show IIRC. But obviously I was wrong before about the credits. I have to check it out later.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 02:50:26 AM »

The credit doesn't give details. They give the list of musicians. There's Carly Munoz, Mike Meros and J Foskett on the same list. (Jeff was there in the same time than Mike Meros, not C. Munoz...)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 02:51:07 AM by mustomax » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 07:16:02 AM »

The CD liner notes list the following musicians:

Ron Altbach
Ed Carter
Ricky Fataar
Bobby Figueroa
Jeff Foskett
Billy Hinsche
Matt Jardine
Mike Kowalski
Mike Meros
Carly Munoz

This is a pretty easy breakdown.

The 1974 musicians are most likely:

Ron Altbach
Ed Carter
Ricky Fataar
Bobby Figueroa
Billy Hinsche
Carly Munoz

The 1989 musicians are most likely:

Ed Carter
Jeff Foskett
Billy Hinsche
Matt Jardine
Mike Kowalski
Mike Meros

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »

Let's try to fill in everyone's credits because that's what I'm here for  Wink

1974:
Mike Love - vocals, electro-theremin
Carl Wilson - vocals, lead guitar
Al Jardine - vocals, rhythm guitar
Dennis Wilson - vocals, possible keyboards
Ricky Fataar - vocals, drums
with
Ron Altbach - keyboards
Ed Carter - bass
Bobby Figueroa - percussion
Billy Hinsche - vocals, keyboards
Carly Munoz - keyboards

1989:
EDIT: Brian Wilson - vocals, keyboards
Mike Love - vocals
Bruce Johnston - vocals, keyboard
with
Ed Carter - bass
Jeff Foskett - vocals, rhythm guitar
Matt Jardine - vocals, percussion
Mike Kowalski - drums
Mike Meros - keyboards
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 04:14:00 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 09:41:47 AM »

Brian is on the '89 live tracks. He's quite audible.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 10:05:36 AM »

Oh didn't know that I haven't been able to pick up a copy of this one yet.  I'm assuming he plays keys on them too?
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 12:26:29 PM »

I don't have the thing at hand but I think Dennis was mentioned as being present on WIBN and GV, but he wasn't on the New ear's Eve show IIRC. But obviously I was wrong before about the credits. I have to check it out later.

You're right that Dennis wasn't at the NYE show.  I'm wondering if the credits may not be accurate if they claim he's on GV.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »

You're right that Dennis wasn't at the NYE show.  I'm wondering if the credits may not be accurate if they claim he's on GV.

Well, they didn't perform "WIBN" at the '74 New Years Rockin' Eve" (not on the televised version anyway), so it's possible that it's from a different performance, in which case Dennis is most likely on it.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 09:00:16 AM »

Just wanted to share this: Back when that CD was released and I found a way to get the stuff (it wasn't available in Germany then, is it now?) I gave a friend of mine a couple of the songs and to this day he says that live version of "Surfer girl" is his ver favorite version of the song ever.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone knows if there was work done in the studio on the 80s recordings. They sound quite polished to my ears but then maybe that's how they were edited for the TV special they belong to. Or was there ever a plan in the 80s to release a live album with them?

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2019, 02:18:10 AM »

Let's try to fill in everyone's credits because that's what I'm here for  Wink

1974:
Mike Love - vocals, electro-theremin
Dennis Wilson - vocals, possible keyboards
Ricky Fataar - vocals, drums
with
Ron Altbach - keyboards
Ed Carter - bass
Bobby Figueroa - percussion
Carly Munoz - keyboards

1989:
EDIT: Brian Wilson - vocals, keyboards
Mike Love - vocals
Bruce Johnston - vocals, keyboard
with
Ed Carter - bass
Jeff Foskett - vocals, rhythm guitar
Matt Jardine - vocals, percussion
Mike Kowalski - drums
Mike Meros - keyboards

BTW are we sure that Mike still played the Electro-Theremin on the '74 recording of GV? Around this time Mike Meros took over playing the part on his keyboards.

- Jack Rieley
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 02:38:14 AM »

it sounds clearly like a keyboard!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 06:50:52 AM »

BTW are we sure that Mike still played the Electro-Theremin on the '74 recording of GV? Around this time Mike Meros took over playing the part on his keyboards.

I'd have go back and listen to the CD to tell what it sounds like, but I can say for sure that Mike Meros wasn't on that '74 recording, as he didn't join the touring band until 1979.

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 06:54:19 PM »

It's a shame they didn't use an 80's performance of Carl performing "WIBN".  Would love to have an official release of that.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 08:01:17 PM »

Pretty sure the ‘89 recordings are from the Endless Summer TV show, hence Brian’s rare participation.  Same goes for the version of Sloop John B on the live disc of the Pet Sounds 50th set.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx