gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:15:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1965 Copyright (Today!/Summer Days)  (Read 2461 times)
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2019, 07:26:22 AM »

This has probably been covered at some point but does anyone know why there was never sessions and outtakes released for the 1965 copyright extension from both Today! and Summer Days? Or was there and I somehow missed it?

Would have been great to have things like the alternate lyrics version of Please Let Me Wonder with Mike on lead plus backing tracks like “In the Back of My Mind”.
maskedwindsurfer
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 08:43:26 AM »

Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 8 (1965) The Alternate "Today" Album, Vol. 1 & 2 (4cds/vol) are for you.
the second box contains tracking and vocal sessions for "Please Let Me Wonder" (16 takes filling a whole disc), and 18 takes of "In The Back Of My Mind"
The tracks are almost all in true stereo, the sound quality is fantastic !
sensiblechuckle
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 03:09:38 PM »

Compared to all of the other years copyright sessions, was there any tracks or alt takes of note in 1965 other than what was released?
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 07:40:12 PM »

This has probably been covered at some point but does anyone know why there was never sessions and outtakes released for the 1965 copyright extension from both Today! and Summer Days? Or was there and I somehow missed it?

Would have been great to have things like the alternate lyrics version of Please Let Me Wonder with Mike on lead plus backing tracks like “In the Back of My Mind”.
In a Q&A session taken place last January(http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=26378.0), Mark Linnett clarified that they had proposed 1965 copyright extension release to Capitol, but had no idea whether they would actually come out.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:41:02 PM by Wata » Logged
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 12:02:56 AM »

On "Keep an eye on Summer", there are 1964, but ALSO 1965 sessions or alternates....
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 07:40:55 AM »

One of the main functional/logistical purposes of the "copyright extension" sets, the studio sets anyway, is to release any song *titles* that haven't already been released from a given group of sessions.

So, generally speaking, they didn't need to put out alternate takes of "Don't Worry Baby" in 2014, because it was already protected by having already been released.

This issue has been confusing for some fans because in many cases they've put *extra* material on these sets that didn't require copyright extension (e.g. a lot of the stuff on "Keep an Eye on Summer", and other sets). They've basically taken the opportunity to release more outtakes while in the process of issuing the weird odds and ends that need to be protected. The "Keep an Eye..." set needed to exist primarily because of tracks like "Endless Sleep", "Christmas Eve", etc. They took the opportunity then to also give us all the other interesting tracks.

This is why, for instance, the "Big Beat '63" set had a bunch of weird titles on it but not outtakes of 1963 tracks that had already been released.

We've seen that, thankfully, more recent comps like the '67 and '68 studio sets (and I'd say the "Party" 2-CD set as well), while also taking the opportunity to issue tracks that *need* copyright protection, have been focused more on putting out a bulk of interesting outtakes from those years.

For 1965, I'm guessing nothing much needed protection in terms of unreleased song titles worked on in the studio by the band. So there was perhaps no pressing impetus to put a '65 set out, especially since some stuff that ended up on the '65 albums was covered by "Keep and Eye on Summer" and the "Party" set.

Still, I'm hoping that in the future they can expand archival releases so they don't simply follow each year's copyright extension deadline. In other words, I'd like to see/hear KTSA outtakes, but I don't think we should have to wait until 2029/2030.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx