gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:23:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 77, 78... when do you think they should retire?  (Read 4893 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2019, 12:38:48 PM »

Pinetop Perkins was over 90 and still touring. Then you have your Tony Bennetts of this world. Let's see, Brian is 77, Mike 78... As much as I love the Beach Boys, I can't see this going on for much longer. It does seem like pop and rock musicians retire earlier than their peers in other genres of music. It's the very nature of pop and rock, it's a young man's game, or at least it was originally.

1. When do you think they will retire altogether?
2. When do you think they should retire?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 01:18:17 PM »

At this stage, I don't envision Mike retiring without some other impetus. I would guess either death or some severe infirmity or illness would have to occur for him to go off the road.

I think it's *slightly* more possible one might see Brian bill a tour as a "Farewell" tour, but I don't think any of these guys will mark a firm date after which they'd never do *any* live performance. I think death or infirmity will end up making those calls.

It's impossible for us to say whether they should quit. Both Brian and Mike hand off a lot of leads to other band members. I suppose I could see one or both of Brian and Mike moving to more of a "band leader/presenter" role and sing fewer leads.

And, whether we like it or not, I'm guessing a license for the BB name will continue to be marketed *after* any surviving members are no longer performing. I've always guessed Foskett was perhaps angling at that, although I don't know if his current hiatus would end up playing any role in whether he'd pursue that. I also have no idea what the estates/heirs would decide on in such cases.

But yeah, the offspring and/or past backing band members touring under the BB name is something I woudln't be surprised by. Also, apparently the "Hologram Tour" thing isn't getting much if any backlash, so that's another thing we might end up seeing for better or worse.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »

Have no clue when they will retire

Hope Brian retires when he wants to and it's hoped that when he's done with the concert thing he'll still produce in the studio.

Mike should have retired ages ago before he tried to re-write history and before he was given the BB name to do with what he wanted and that's trash the legacy. Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 01:56:07 PM »

Retirement is hard to picture for both Brian and Mike.

I remember a few years ago, Brian expressed that he either tours or "quits the business" in this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn9nLxUAAmI

The idea of Brian retiring seems to be a more and more real idea, with his declining involvement onstage. As I've said in other threads, if Brian becomes just "band leader" or just plays piano, that's cool with me. He can take as many or as few leads as he wants. But due to his physical condition and increasing apparent immobility, I can't imagine he'll be touring much longer. I'll be very thankful to see him this fall on the '68 themed tour.

Mike seems to still be going strong. His voice has declined a little, but he can certainly still carry a tune. He doesn't stroll around the stage, from side to side anymore. It's kinda turned into a shuffle in place. Bruce seems to still have an incredible amount of energy for someone his age. I mean the dude's like the fricken energizer bunny on stage! Smiling and clapping non stop for two hours. Unless his health worsens, I think Bruce will stick it out with Mike until he has to retire. Like other have said, it's unlikely Mike will ever voluntarily stop touring, until he's physically unable to.

A 2020 reunion tour would be a legendary way to go out. Get the guys all together one more time. Sure, drama might ensue, but if everyone knew this was "the last time", I'm sure they'd be on their best behavior. The core members could certainly divvy out leads, as done on C50, but perhaps with even more accommodation for their older voices. I'd also love for some BBs veterans who played with them back in the day to be involved... Billy Hinshe, Dean Torrence and Ed Carter, are some examples of some of those great musicians who are still active. Let it be a celebration of the last 60 years.  Even throw in solo cuts to show each members talents... Al with Don't Fight The Sea, Bruce with Summer Means Fun or Don't Run Away, Mike with Unleash The Love or Cool Head , and sprinkle in some of Brian's greatest solo works. Close the show with the guys around the piano singing Love & Mercy, and I'd lose it. Brian could sit at the piano. Mike could take a break (like he does now during Disney Girls) or multiple if he needs to. It would even be really cool to see the core members do a number alone, no back up band accompaniment. It's definitely possible.

Mike - Vocals
Brian - Keys or Bass, Vocals (?)
Al - Guitar, Vocals
Bruce - Keys or Bass, Vocals
David- Guitar, Vocals
Blondie- Guitar, Vocals
Ricky- Drums

...That's assuming Ricky and Blondie would be involved....

But who even knows if another reunion will happen. During the NPP era, given the title "The Last Song" and the Love & Mercy movie, it sort of felt like we were experiencing Brian's farewell, but he kept on chugging. Mike has only continued to refine his touring version of the band. It doesn't look like things are slowing down for Brian or Mike. Say what you will about them, or their bands, but they're obviously hard working guys.

As for what happens after the core members have passed, I hope a "Beach Boys" band, endorsed by BRI will exist. Hopefully under the direction of Scott Totten or Paul Von Mertens, who have great attention to detail, and wouldn't let things get sloppy. I'd happily see Mike or Brian's band, without the core members, if they were promoted properly. "Tribute To The Beach Boys" or "Beach Boys Band" or at least something to make a distinction... I'd be very upset to see a band called "The Beach Boys" touring after all of THE BEACH BOYS pass away.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 02:03:57 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 04:51:02 PM »

Sounds like a very honorable way to close a career, Nate, such a show I'd definitely pay good money to see! Also, a tribute band touring does not seem too far-fetched, but it's important that they designate it as such.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 06:29:30 PM »

While I love your enthusiasm, that's what 2012 could have been, and they blew it. That's not to say they haven't produced quality performances since then...but, going out with the bang they COULD have in the UK at the end of that tour would've been the kind of concert that's talked about fifty years from now.

I think Brian's days on the road are numbered...but they have been on and off and an off since 1965 so who the hell knows.

I don't see Al or David giving up and both seem quite healthy enough to continue on with others or on their own.

I can see Mike physically slowing a tad bit, but nothing unusual for someone approaching 80. He'll be a "B.B. King" that will die because he stops touring. As he continues to age, if he were to be stricken with any life-threatening illness and stop his routine, that would shake his system so hard, it would be over.

...and when Mike goes, Bruce will disappear. You'll never see or hear from him again. There's no money to be made with the others and there is too much responsibility being the ONLY "official" (if you consider him as such) Beach Boy in the touring band...now, if Alan or David were permanently welcomed back...maybe it would be a different story.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 09:05:14 PM »

Right, a Mike-less Beach Boys couldn't be led by just Bruce... but throw Al and/or David in there, and that's a credible "Beach Boys" touring band, all things considered.

Yes, I know my 2020 reunion ideas are wishful thinking, and it would've been great if C50 was more like what I fantasize 2020 to be.

Let's say the 2020 reunion doesn't happen...

I see Brian touring for another 2-3 years tops, going out with a farewell tour.

Mike will keep going until he's physically unable to. And that's a fact.    (...Imagine the hypocrisy if it got to the point where Mike was performing with oxygen, given how things ended with Carl...)

Bruce's touring will end with Mike's, unless Al or David steer the ship.

I definitely see Al continuing if it's his storyteller shows, Endless Summer band, or w/ Dean Torrence & David and the Surf City Allstars... Doesn't feel like Al will be slowing down anytime soon, god willing.

Once Brian is done touring, I assume Blondie will retire from BBs related endeavors, unless he was brought on as an official BB, in a post-Mike "Beach Boys" band.... but that's a one in a gazillion chance! LOL

It's inevitable these guys will retire, let's enjoy every concert we can, from both Brian and Mike (as well as others), while they're still here.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 09:05:44 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 10:25:08 PM »

Was randomly thinking similar thoughts the other day that one day i will login to here and see a new topic with a bunch of replies and a subject of "Mike Love, RIP" or RIP Brian"...It truly will be the end of an era and a lot of mourning for someone most of us didnt really know very well, if at all....Will be the end of an era..
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 03:06:40 AM »

They will retire at 80.

rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 04:28:56 AM »

1977/78 ?

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Signed Sincerely
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 05:59:47 AM »

1977/78 ?

This was my first thought when I read the thread title! Imagine if they'd fully retired right after Love You... I wonder how it would have affected the band's legacy.

Anyway, as others have said, it seems like it's going to happen some point in the next five years (give or take) regardless of circumstances. In fact, they might already be done in terms of tour dates outside North America.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 06:13:35 AM »

1. When they want to
2. When they want to

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 06:48:32 AM »

Methuselah didn't retire until he was 897, so.....

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 08:52:54 AM »

When they can’t hold a tune and need a wheel chair on stage.......oh wait!  Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 09:06:42 AM »

There's the Dennis quote (can't recall the year):

"I can tell you the day The Beach Boys will no longer exist - never. We'll be on stage in wheelchairs."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 09:10:46 AM »

In a 1989 interview, Carl also offered a comment on the band's long term future that was partially quite prescient:

LK: Will the Beach Boys see their 40th or 50th anniversary?

Carl: No, no. Michael will probably be there... (smiles). What I would like us to do in the future is get together from time to time for special occasions, like fund raising shows. I am certainly not willing to keep going at this level, playing 100 shows a year. I would like to produce other people, among other things.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 09:15:07 AM »

Both Mike *and* Carl expressed in interviews in the 80s and 90s a sentiment that they didn't want to keep touring forever. Bruce also expressed in interviews in that general era that the band needed to be active and successful in the studio instead of just churning out the hits on stage. It would be interesting to know what factors led them to change their mind.

Obviously, money is an obvious answer, and that surely played a large role.

But I'm curious if things about the "touring grind" got cushier over the years and this made it a bit easier to keep up a hectic tour schedule. Though, I can't imagine the annoying aspects of touring changed *that much* between this 1989 interview and 1996 or so (I don't really count 1997 as it seems Carl went out that year in order to try to stay active and hopeful, etc.).

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »

I think that, as with any long-lived act, the studio albums (self-penned), are put out less frequently as the years pass. There is this inevitable slowing down, and it's probably a case of both running out of ideas and also the grind of having been active for so long. Would they have been more active in the studio in the 90s, if they had cut back on touring? Perhaps, but not by much.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 02:20:54 PM »

I think the continued lack of success (commercial or critical) of the studio albums, coupled with the continued success (financially anyway) of touring, even during rather dark times (e.g. early 80s), certainly contributed to the demise of releasing studio work.

It was a pretty quick drop-off in releasing studio albums after a very active period. Other than 1974 and 75, they released a studio album (or more) every year between 1962 and 1980.

Even when they weren't doing great on the charts and internal band politics were sketchy, they knocked out FIVE albums between '76 and '80 (with a Dennis solo album thrown in as well, the Mike "Celebration" albums, and we can include Mike's and Carl's solo albums if we include 1981).

Meanwhile, they collectively and individually *recorded* several more *albums* worth of material that didn't get released. Tons of Brian stuff, and early-mid 70s outtakes. Dennis worked on his second album. Mike recorded and shelved TWO full albums. Obviously, some stuff was better than others. But they were VERY active during this time.

Starting in 1981, we got three more albums between 1981 and 1998 during the "pre-licensed touring band" era of the group. (Plus a few solo albums and off-shoots, etc.).

Now, they did record more material during the 80s and 90s. I suspect there's a TON of material, and some of it has dribbled out over the years, such as some Al material.

They certainly could have churned out a few more albums in the 80s and 90s. They probably woudln't have been great, although they may not have been any worse than the albums that *did* come out.

But in terms of the "retirement" question, I usually take it to refer to touring. They essentially stopped being a regularly active "studio band" after 1980, shifting from a "studio band that also tours" to a "touring band that occasionally releases albums."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:23:07 PM by HeyJude » Logged

37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2019, 03:09:30 PM »

1) Don't know. I can see Mike going on until the day he dies. Al -- I have a feeling he's okay either way, either eventually retiring or keeping going. Brian -- lord knows. I think he's pretty much done with overseas travel. But whatever the case, I hope he still has a solid studio album or two left in him.

2) They should retire whenever they want to. If they don't, fine. No sense not doing what you want to do.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2019, 10:42:57 PM »

The Beach Boys are not the only 60's era act still out there on tour; and I never believe anyone that calls a tour their "farewell tour". That's right up there with "the final live performances of Pet Sounds". Paul McCartney will still be filling stadiums when he is 95, singing "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Hey Jude". The Rolling Stones will still be singing "Sympathy for the Devil" right up to the moment they meet the Grim Reaper himself. As long as fans are willing to forgive poor vocals, or letting the kids in the backup band do the heavy lifting, these guys will be out there. There's no point in them staying at home and concentrating on recording. Who's going to buy new music from these guys? Where is it going to get played?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 06:22:15 AM »

I'd also say that the mode of touring folks like the Stones or McCartney (or, say, Billy Joel) do is VERY different from what Mike Love has done over the years.

Folks like McCartney and Joel have moved from the old model of touring to doing little "mini" groups of dates, or sometimes literally one-off shows each month, or a couple or a few per month. McCartney and Joel (and the Stones, etc.) can fill STADIUMS and ARENAS, so they can play a couple 40-60,000 seat stadiums per month. They can afford to keep a band on retainer, and they can spend MOST of their time doing other things at home (recording, or tending to their garden, building motorcycles, whatever) and then once or a few times per month they can crank out a HUGE show and get a HUGE payday.

Whereas, Mike has toured non-stop all these years. He has diluted the trademark and its power, and therefore he's doing small theaters, fairs, etc., a lot of venues that seat 1 to 5,000, and he does that nearly ALL year.

So it makes more sense that McCartney and his ilk would keep touring, because he's not on the road all year. Whereas Mike ends up spending the vast majority of each year on the road. Sure, he gets back home for a few rests, and he may well be doing slightly fewer dates in the last couple years. But he's still easily doing over 100 shows per year, and he's still doing these runs of like 12 shows over 13 nights and whatnot.

McCartney's life isn't touring. Mike's is. This doesn't help indicate when they might hang it up. But it does help to understand (or be confused by) what these artists "staying out there on the road" actually entails. It's a much larger undertaking for Mike in terms of how much time he spends doing it.

mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 07:13:55 AM »

Retirement is hard to picture for both Brian and Mike.

I remember a few years ago, Brian expressed that he either tours or "quits the business" in this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn9nLxUAAmI

The idea of Brian retiring seems to be a more and more real idea, with his declining involvement onstage. As I've said in other threads, if Brian becomes just "band leader" or just plays piano, that's cool with me. He can take as many or as few leads as he wants. But due to his physical condition and increasing apparent immobility, I can't imagine he'll be touring much longer. I'll be very thankful to see him this fall on the '68 themed tour.

Mike seems to still be going strong. His voice has declined a little, but he can certainly still carry a tune. He doesn't stroll around the stage, from side to side anymore. It's kinda turned into a shuffle in place. Bruce seems to still have an incredible amount of energy for someone his age. I mean the dude's like the fricken energizer bunny on stage! Smiling and clapping non stop for two hours. Unless his health worsens, I think Bruce will stick it out with Mike until he has to retire. Like other have said, it's unlikely Mike will ever voluntarily stop touring, until he's physically unable to.

A 2020 reunion tour would be a legendary way to go out. Get the guys all together one more time. Sure, drama might ensue, but if everyone knew this was "the last time", I'm sure they'd be on their best behavior. The core members could certainly divvy out leads, as done on C50, but perhaps with even more accommodation for their older voices. I'd also love for some BBs veterans who played with them back in the day to be involved... Billy Hinshe, Dean Torrence and Ed Carter, are some examples of some of those great musicians who are still active. Let it be a celebration of the last 60 years.  Even throw in solo cuts to show each members talents... Al with Don't Fight The Sea, Bruce with Summer Means Fun or Don't Run Away, Mike with Unleash The Love or Cool Head , and sprinkle in some of Brian's greatest solo works. Close the show with the guys around the piano singing Love & Mercy, and I'd lose it. Brian could sit at the piano. Mike could take a break (like he does now during Disney Girls) or multiple if he needs to. It would even be really cool to see the core members do a number alone, no back up band accompaniment. It's definitely possible.

Are you serious when you say Brian can play the bass now??? He does nothing in his tours now!

Mike - Vocals
Brian - Keys or Bass, Vocals (?)
Al - Guitar, Vocals
Bruce - Keys or Bass, Vocals
David- Guitar, Vocals
Blondie- Guitar, Vocals
Ricky- Drums

...That's assuming Ricky and Blondie would be involved....

But who even knows if another reunion will happen. During the NPP era, given the title "The Last Song" and the Love & Mercy movie, it sort of felt like we were experiencing Brian's farewell, but he kept on chugging. Mike has only continued to refine his touring version of the band. It doesn't look like things are slowing down for Brian or Mike. Say what you will about them, or their bands, but they're obviously hard working guys.

As for what happens after the core members have passed, I hope a "Beach Boys" band, endorsed by BRI will exist. Hopefully under the direction of Scott Totten or Paul Von Mertens, who have great attention to detail, and wouldn't let things get sloppy. I'd happily see Mike or Brian's band, without the core members, if they were promoted properly. "Tribute To The Beach Boys" or "Beach Boys Band" or at least something to make a distinction... I'd be very upset to see a band called "The Beach Boys" touring after all of THE BEACH BOYS pass away.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 06:11:54 PM »

1. When they want to
2. When they want to

Yep. These guys are so strong at their core, they'll retire exactly when they care to do it. I know many of us don't like what's been done to the BB's touring brand over the years, but that's been established for decades. In the end, it's all fine. The recordings will carry on as long as people can listen. That works for me.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx