gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:52:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Voice of Al Jardine  (Read 8574 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 11:14:34 PM »

After really thinking it over, I think it might be Al and Mike trading lines in the second verse. For example, It might be Al singing "Wisdom warming as the sun", but I think "You and I are truly one" is 100% Mike.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 12:22:38 AM »

After really thinking it over, I think it might be Al and Mike trading lines in the second verse. For example, It might be Al singing "Wisdom warming as the sun", but I think "You and I are truly one" is 100% Mike.

I wouldn't rule this out! They did often switch leads like this within songs!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 12:24:59 AM »

do we know here where al really was, when they shot the summer days/nights cover-

I heard Al was sick on the day this photo was taken. Which is redicoulus because there were plenty of other photos they could have used with Al from that period.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Doobidoo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2019, 06:09:03 AM »

Let's not forget how alike Brian and Al sounds on ADITLOAT! The discussion I saw here on which one of 'em that really sung the last "Oh lord I lay me down"-part really blew my mind. I remember how the way Al sung "Brances" made it more clear it was him. Without that one, it would be next to impossible!

The mysterious 'uplifting version' of 'Til I Die: Finally revealed by Custom Machine!! www.smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,26114.msg640828.html#msg640828

www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
www.lastfm.se/user/fehyv
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2019, 07:17:02 AM »

Let's not forget how alike Brian and Al sounds on ADITLOAT! The discussion I saw here on which one of 'em that really sung the last "Oh lord I lay me down"-part really blew my mind. I remember how the way Al sung "Brances" made it more clear it was him. Without that one, it would be next to impossible!

The way Brian sings in I Wasn't Made for These Times, 'sometimes I feel very sad...' sounds like Al as well. But it's Brian. Hut agree that 'Oh Lord I lay me down' is Al.

Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2019, 05:11:14 PM »

So I guess that a wall of Al Jardines would equal the Boys vocal blend ?

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 06:43:20 PM »

Here's another one. Though in Wikipedia,  it only notes Brian and Mike on lead vocals, the song No Go Showboat appears to be Al singin "White wall slicks with racing mags
She's just for looks, man, not for drags". And all the parts with that melody. Anyone else notice that?

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 04:28:08 AM »

Al sings the first verse, i.e. “Life supporting waves of bliss...”

Mike sings the second, “Golden auras glow around you...”

I always thought it was Mike on both verses. I’ll be damned.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

I second that. Mike is really "breathy" on his verse - you can hear him inhaling. That aspect is absent from Al's verse.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2019, 04:47:52 AM »

Mike is really "breathy" on his verse - you can hear him inhaling. That aspect is absent from Al's verse.
It doesn't quite prove it's Mike though. Al could mellow down in verse 2. It does sound like Al if you listen attentively, harken ears to it with volume up. Mike's voice/ timbre is lower than Al's, as been explained by me with detail in previous reply. Either way, I believe my ears.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:01:08 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 01:45:00 PM »

Not once did Mike's voice ever sound close to that
This is what precisely I tried to say, meant by previous replies. Thank you, salty. It shouldn't be debate, agree.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 01:52:14 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2019, 10:56:30 AM »

Al sounds less 'breathy' on the first verse because he's doubled by a second Al in the right channel. If you A/B them, including each isolated vocal on the first verse, the timbres are absolutely identical. Not once did Mike's voice ever sound close to that, outside of the spectrum of the Beach Boys all just having similar-ish voices. I'm surprised there's even a debate about this one.

Edit:

Here are the single-tracked leads for each verse isolated back to back - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1prMf7wIaLs__ubkdX54HZrBYQJmYyxQx/view?usp=sharing

And the vocal double on the first verse in the right channel - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eakys8XeevsbWxpaIWTBfVcz1SJERkiM/view?usp=sharing

All three are clearly Al.

Thanks for this! These are great to listen to.

The voice in the first clip in particular has such a lovely, relaxed quality. I agree that it could only be Al. The gentle twist on the word "wisdom" has a distinctly Al-like intonation.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2019, 05:34:31 AM »

While I agree this is Al, to say this is obvious is redicoulus! Now that I have listened to the Beach Boys thousands of times and have become more familiar with their voices,  I can tell. And once, someone told me it was Al on All This Is That, I listened again more closely and noticed that it was indeed Al. But not sure if I would have considered that on my own. I think it is also obvious to us hard core Beach Boys fans that Help Me Rhonda and You're So Good To Me are 2 different lead singers. But I guarantee most casual listeners probably think they are both Brian.

monkeytree5
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 08:30:47 AM »

Al sounds less 'breathy' on the first verse because he's doubled by a second Al in the right channel. If you A/B them, including each isolated vocal on the first verse, the timbres are absolutely identical. Not once did Mike's voice ever sound close to that, outside of the spectrum of the Beach Boys all just having similar-ish voices. I'm surprised there's even a debate about this one.

Edit:

Here are the single-tracked leads for each verse isolated back to back - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1prMf7wIaLs__ubkdX54HZrBYQJmYyxQx/view?usp=sharing

And the vocal double on the first verse in the right channel - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eakys8XeevsbWxpaIWTBfVcz1SJERkiM/view?usp=sharing

All three are clearly Al.

Wow!  This is the reason I visit this site!  There's always a new vocal surprise waiting to be had when listening close to the Beach Boys.  The last one that wow-ed me was learning about Brian's little brief lead vocal parts on Good Vibrations, and now this one.  I hadn't even thought about it being Al, since this type of vocal is usually reserved for Mike's timbre.  I wouldn't have swore it, I just didn't even consider it! With the music it's still a tiny bit vague, but dang it if your vocal clips leave no doubt that we've got Al on the low end for all these parts.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx