gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:00:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Holy Man Record Store Day  (Read 13987 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2019, 12:25:10 AM »

To this fan, it's nothing special. Any version. IMHO.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2019, 02:25:23 AM »

Never a fan of Queen, I expected to despise this but surprised myself by mostly enjoying it quite a lot, nonsensical guitar solo and all, until it reached the godforsaken ending which sounds like it comes from a Cliff Richard Christmas song.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2019, 07:25:03 AM »

Not bad, but imho could've benefitted from a bit of production restraint. Less is more!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2019, 03:18:12 AM »

Lastly, I thought folks might enjoy re-reading what Brian May posted on his website back in '08 about the creative process he went through in realizing this version:

Well, since many people have been asking, and the word seems to be out there ....

"It was a song which Dennis Wilson had begun, shortly before he died, but never finished."

Bit like the Queen movie...why bother with facts when you can make up something more dramatic?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2019, 03:38:53 AM »

Haha, I felt the original artwork made the Holy Man seem like a product of Area 51, and I've always felt the song was about Jesus Christ. This emulation of the POB artwork fits the song so much better methinks.

The only thing that makes me say Jesus Christ about this version of the song is my reaction to Brian May getting a songwriting credit

Grin

I don't think it's necessarily about Jesus Christ, but it is also not not about him. I guess the idea is the concept of a - as the title says - holy man, the manifestation of God's love. So, yeah, that could be Christ (especially if you look at the picture of him as shown in the Gospel of John and the letters of John) but it could also be influenced by the New Age movement and have nothing to do with Jesus. IIRC Dennis had the idea for the songtitle after meeting Maharishi according to Gregg Jakobson (at least that's how I remember, maybe that interview is on the P.O.B. podcast from Sony/Legacy). And I wouldn't be surprised if Dennis and Jakobson kinda mixed everything without worrying about theological reasons or what consequences this would have if you'd looked at it from a theological point.

Thanks for the info! I actually don't know if I'd have my opinion about 'Holy Man' if Jesus wasn't directly mentioned twice in POB...And in those specific contexts, Jesus is opening the person's heart and is in his soul. So with that context, the lyrics of 'Holy Man' make sense to me as a song about Jesus. That being said, the lyrics are open ended and thus perhaps not specifically about any one in particular. So I can see your perspective of the song too.

BTW, Gregg talks a little about it here at ca. 4:18 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3mEh-Ubcso

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2019, 07:00:01 AM »

Given some of the impressions this new (although actually over a decade old) version of the song, I expected something far more heinous and Frankensteined. I can totally see preferring any of the multiple versions of the song. But if you actually like the song in general, I can’t imagine intensely disliking this Brian May version. It’s far from some sort of overwrought, bombastic Queen-esque restyling. This sounds not too dissimilar from the other “Hawkins” version, just with some extra backing vocals (since when are Beach Boys fans off-put by layered backing vocals?) and then admittedly some extra May guitar noodling for an extended outro.

Geez, I know the Beach Boys have never been a guitar-heavy band, and I know some segment of fans act like Blondie Chaplin jamming on “Wild Honey” is like some sort of heavy metal hippiefest screeching nightmare, but Brian May doing his thing (same tone and same style as much of his guitar work has) for like two minutes on this song is hardly that offensive as a *third alternate* way to hear this song. If May hadn’t added guitar, nobody would have ever known the Queen guys were involved. The backing vocals are *more* restrained than I would have expected.

I’ve always been happy enough with Dennis’s “Holy Man.” It’s not his best song, but it’s a good one. I’ve probably always found it most interesting for how it morphed into (or was morphed from) “Moonshine”, and how even one of the chord changes is weirdly reminiscent of that silly fake Dennis song from the 1990 “Summer Dreams” movie. But really, Taylor Hawkins (who I otherwise haven’t ever followed) weirdly does channel possibly the most 1977-Dennis-esque voice one could ask for, and either presentation of “Holy Man” is more of an approximation of how it would have sounded than we probably ever could have hoped for.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:01:24 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2019, 06:17:56 AM »

Meh I enjoyed it. The only bit I didn't care for were Roger Taylor's sappy vocals over the end (and the cover art).
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2019, 09:10:44 AM »

I didn't mind that Roger Taylor vocal at the end. I used it on my own remix of the best bits of the Taylor Hawkins' version and Queen's.

I totally agree with what c-man mentionned earlier, the extra backing vocals add more to the song and I think would be closer to what a full 1974-75 production would have been like.

Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/-Mt4eUvF2U4
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2019, 09:44:58 AM »

Overall I like the new version, but don't love it. Brian May showboating after the verses detracts from it. But I like the extra harmony bursts. Were the relatively minor additions worth standing in line for RSD for it? I don't know -- I was out of town and my wife did the standing on my behalf. Smiley

What I wish would have happened:

- Not a cop-out B-side. Come on...just an instrumental version of the A-side (and shorter)? Is it the mid '80s again?
- Some more lyrics. Personally, I think Taylor Hawkins *nailed* the spirit of Dennis back in '08, but...the song still sounds very incomplete. Like they forgot to record a bridge or something...it's just two short verses and then a lot of emptiness.
- A better quality *physical* product. The spindle hole was way too tight (almost broke the damn record when I took it off the platter), and the record itself is...well....ripply. I watched the stylus quake up and down during the entire playback...interestingly, though, it didn't affect the sound...no noticeable wow-and-flutter. But this is a problem with Record Store Day products in general, from my own experience: very poor physical material. The guy at the record store theorizes that RSD products are rush-pressed without much effort in quality control.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2019, 10:57:12 AM »

I think that's true. I general, my RSD purchases tend to be dirtier on first opening and the are cut a bit rough compared to other releases.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »

I've read a couple articles in the past talking about how RSD releases in general are so rushed that quality control is lacking.

I didn't stand in line for my copy of "Holy Man" either. It was still at my record store a week later, as were most of the other RSD titles I was interested in getting.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »

Did you notice that the song exists in 2 different lengths ?

My EU version plays 5:15, a friends version in the USA is 30 seconds shorter.

Was anyone else able to confirm the existence of the shorter edit? My US vinyl copy runs 5:18 so presumably the same edit as Manfred’s EU copy.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx