gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:34:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why does spotify keep screwing with the Beach Boys material?  (Read 3011 times)
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 10, 2019, 06:05:19 AM »

Is there any reason why Spotify keeps fucking with the Beach Boys catalogue?

- First they removed the Pet Sounds Sessions album.
- Then suddenly all the tracks on Hawthorne, CA compilation have had the music files completely mixed up with the titles on the UI.
- Just now they removed the vast majority of the GV box files.

What the heck??!! I cannot even blame this on Mike Love Huh
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:44:09 AM »

It comes down to Capitol/BRI what is available for streaming and how it gets labeled I’m sure.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:45:47 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »

Sorry to hear this is happening... I haven't had any problems with Apple Music, other than Spirit Of America vanishing a few months ago.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 10:48:14 AM »

Sorry to hear this is happening... I haven't had any problems with Apple Music, other than Spirit Of America vanishing a few months ago.

Apple Music has The Pet Sounds Sessions?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
jparis51
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 12:53:47 PM »

Is there any reason why Spotify keeps fucking with the Beach Boys catalogue?

- First they removed the Pet Sounds Sessions album.
- Then suddenly all the tracks on Hawthorne, CA compilation have had the music files completely mixed up with the titles on the UI.
- Just now they removed the vast majority of the GV box files.

What the heck??!! I cannot even blame this on Mike Love Huh

My Spotify BB playlist really took a hit with the disappearance of the GV box files! Hope it reappears some day, along with all the missing Four Seasons stuff.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 01:50:47 AM »

Yes they do, in its entirety at least in my region.

Spotify messing with Beach Boys material was one of the reasons I quit subscription to Spotify and switched to Apple Music a while ago - it seems like they're doing really sloopy job, as they never got back when I reported them that the order of Hawthorne CA tracks are completely wrong.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 06:55:58 AM »

Unless someone here has worked on the IT/back end at Spotify, it's probably impossible to know exactly why some tracks or albums are messed up in one way or another.

I know there are fans who own all of the albums who also simply like to use Spotify or other services.

But for anyone who *doesn't* actually own all the albums, the occasionally (or often) wonky elements of these streaming services is the perfect reason to actually snag physical (or digital) copies of all the albums and rip to a portable or other device (or actually listen to the CD itself, crazy as it sounds!).

This isn't an "embrace old technology, not new!" rant, this is more of a "streaming services can't be relied upon in perpetuity, so if you actually like the Beach Boys, make sure you own all the albums and then you'll never have to worry" sort of situation.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:56:34 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 12:57:10 AM »

Unless someone here has worked on the IT/back end at Spotify, it's probably impossible to know exactly why some tracks or albums are messed up in one way or another.

I know there are fans who own all of the albums who also simply like to use Spotify or other services.

But for anyone who *doesn't* actually own all the albums, the occasionally (or often) wonky elements of these streaming services is the perfect reason to actually snag physical (or digital) copies of all the albums and rip to a portable or other device (or actually listen to the CD itself, crazy as it sounds!).

This isn't an "embrace old technology, not new!" rant, this is more of a "streaming services can't be relied upon in perpetuity, so if you actually like the Beach Boys, make sure you own all the albums and then you'll never have to worry" sort of situation.
I agree. Over in Japan, a musician was arrested back in March for drug use, and since then all the stuff he's involved has been taken off from any streaming services, making it impossible to listen to his music online in a legal way.

It seems buying a copy is still a wiser way than to rely solely on streaming services, when it comes to keep the music you love at your own hand.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 02:52:34 PM »

Yes, at least it does here in America.

Best part about Apple Music? You can upload all your Beach Boys bootlegs and listen to them wherever you go, on all your Apple devices, through the streaming service (no one else can listen to them or see them, but you yourself can listen to them). It's a great feature that makes me love Apple Music.

One thing to note: afaik, Apple Music doesn't have the entire full Smile Sessions boxset, just the two CD set. I think I have found the set by searching for it? But it is not on the Beach Boys artists page. As I own the boxset anyways, this isn't a problem, just throwing it out there.

Spotify made quite a few changes recently that made me ditch them. Though discoverability isn't as great on Apple Music, everything else has been absolutely perfect for me.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 09:01:57 AM »

Although it's incredibly annoying, I get why they might add stuff and remove it later. What I don't get is how the track names get so screwed up after initially being accurate. It's got to be a glitch in the peer-to-peer sharing they utilize for bandwidth and speed. I've had to recreate entire playlists with the wrong track names for the right tracks.

Regarding discovery, it seems the way I tend to discover new music and the way Spotify thinks I should discover new music have diverged significantly over the last year or two. Between that and removing a lot of Beach Boys stuff lately, my use of the app has dropped precipitously. In fact I've listened less to music in general, and more to podcasts.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 11:51:04 AM »

I'm in Canada. Most of the time, Spotify didn't have Sunflower. One day, it did. Then it didn't.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx