gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:44:40 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New stereo mix of “I Get Around”  (Read 2887 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2019, 09:51:37 AM »

Just spotted on the Hoffman board: Eric Records is releasing another two titles in their “Hard to Find Jukebox Classics” series and it appears a new stereo mix of “I Get Around” will be on the 1963-64 volume. The track can be previewed here: http://www.ericrecords.com/htf_jb_63-64.html

Their CDs often feature digitally-extracted stereo mixes, but IGA isn’t marked as being a digitally-extracted mix. I haven’t had the chance to preview this yet, just passing along.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:56:45 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »

Digitally extracted stereo!?!?  Is this just duophonic for the 21st century?  I can't believe they're still concerned with this-
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 11:28:23 PM »

I've checked out this website before.  It's sort of the same idea as duophonic, but digital technology allows the frequency ranges to be separated much more thoroughly.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 11:52:29 AM »

Digitally extracted stereo!?!?  Is this just duophonic for the 21st century?  I can't believe they're still concerned with this-
I have two of those CDs. The stereo does not sound fake at all. Numerous hours were spent on each track.
sixtiesstereo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 05:32:49 AM »

There seems to be some confusion here as to what DES (digitally extracted stereo) is.  It has nothing to do
with Duophonic or separated frequencies. It is a way to separate, using state of the art software, each element of an
original mono recording into seperate tracks.  Each instrument, each vocal, background singers, etc. all now have
their own tracks.  Basically, multi tracks have been created from the mono.
  These are then remixed by professional audio engineers into true stereo.  Some of the tracks on the new Eric CD's
 over the last two years are jaw dropping.  They duplicate the original 45 versions, in perfect sound quality, but now
 in stereo.  I have all of their releases from the last several years, and they are amazing. 
Go to their website (in the original post) and listen to some or all of the samples.  All that said, the "I Get Around"
on the new CD is NOT DES, just reconstructed stereo. Here's a track from one of their releases from last year.

The Kalin Twins "When" from 1958.  Only in mono until this true stereo mix using DES was made last year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPmQIlhOc4o

To hear the stereo best, listen through good speakers or headphones.

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 03:22:33 PM »

Adding to sixtiesstereo's post above, when listening to digitally extracted stereo (DES) through stereo speakers, best results are obtained when you are centered between both speakers. (Unfortunately, with the popularity these days of mono bluetooth and mono smart speakers, listeners of those devices will be unable to take advantage of listening to this technology.)

DES technology has produced results ranging from fairly good to very impressive, and, as previously stated, it is not related to duophonic or other types of electronically processed stereo from the past.

Software used to create DES includes Magix SpectaLayers Pro, Audionamix TRAX Pro, XTRAX STEMS, and SourceRE Pro. The technology used to create digitally extracted stereo will no doubt improve in the future, but currently less than half of mono recordings can be successfully be converted to stereo using DES.

Another example of really well done digitally extracted stereo from mono is track 20, Mother In Law, on this CD from Eric Records: http://www.ericrecords.com/htf_jb_56-62.html
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 03:28:17 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2019, 06:59:16 AM »

So it's very unlikely that I will purchase this...

But is this is an official sanctioned release from The Beach Boys and Capitol?
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2019, 10:42:47 PM »

They say on the site that this mix doesn't use DES by the absence of an asterisk, but IMO that's an error.  Someone correct me if this is wrong, but I think the 2nd vocal overdub and accompanying guitar part were recorded during the mono mixdown and would be impossible to include in a true stereo mix (similar to Help Me Rhonda and a load of other mono only tracks from this era).  The mix they have on the website also has elements in it that are clearly re-channeled to stereo that were not separated at all in the original instrumental track.  I think they used their DES tech on the mono mix, which IMO is not the ideal way to tackle a song where 2/3rds of the recorded elements are available to mix in stereo.  And if such a true stereo mix of IGA actually did exist, I doubt it would make it's debut on a non-Capitol compilation.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx