gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:48:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: John Lennon 'Mike Love is a jerk'  (Read 26168 times)
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2006, 01:05:22 PM »

99% of Parks' fame comes from the lyrics he wrote for an unreleased Beach Boys album when he was 23. Now that he's 63 and his solo career is basically dead we can't blame him for being petty and cranky.  Grin

I found that a little pettier still, but just MY opinion.  No harm done.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2006, 06:35:26 PM »

99% of Parks' fame comes from the lyrics he wrote for an unreleased Beach Boys album when he was 23. Now that he's 63 and his solo career is basically dead we can't blame him for being petty and cranky.  Grin

I found that a little pettier still, but just MY opinion.  No harm done.

Man, this was as petty as I could be without being kicked off the forum. Too many "I don't want to criticize Mike but he would be still pumping gas if not for his talented cousin" posts.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2006, 01:47:56 AM »

I guess the answer to that is to bash Van Dyke Parks...

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Bill
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2006, 01:56:56 PM »

Forgive me for returning to the topic of this chain, but my understanding is that Mr. Love brought cases of his finest Sunset Strip rock star duds to the ashram and changed several times a day to show one and all what a fab dude he was.  From the photos, his boss duds, combined with a comb-over that is absolutely Trumpian in nature,  cut him a figure that, coupled with his pleasing personal charm, earned him the reported moniker of "that a**hole from America" from all others present.
Back to trashing Van Dyke, fun-seekers.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »

Where are you getting your info?

Yeah, and the Beatles were so down to earth, right?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2006, 03:02:21 PM »

I figured he'd be very sad if left out of our daily vitriol.  Grin

Come on, it's not like he's above Beach Boys bullshit.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Bill
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2006, 04:26:50 PM »

Where are you getting your info?

Yeah, and the Beatles were so down to earth, right?

1. Someone who was there.
2. Probably not- bet they were referred to around the M's place as "those as*holes from the Mersey" or "the Merseyas*holes."  Only one that was nice was good old Donovan, who knew not to f*** with the formula.
Nevertheless, I suspect that the Lennon quote is accurate.  Too bad he didn't live to hear Mike's Rock and Roll HOF induction speech.
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2006, 08:22:18 PM »

I figured he'd be very sad if left out of our daily vitriol.  Grin

Come on, it's not like he's above Beach Boys bullmerda.

Wasn't meaning to lecture anybody...just have never really felt that ol' VDP was one of those asking for it. To me, he's about as offensive as Carl or Marilyn.

My offer to buy any of 'em a beer stands; I love 'em all;  they need fear no rotten vege-tables from my direction. I'm trying to think of anyone in the Beach Boys whole story I don't feel gratitude and affection for, and coming up blank.

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
MusicLover1970
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2006, 01:51:41 AM »

Van Dyke's talents are still recognised and in demant. Not only on the forthcoming Joanna Newsom album but on the brand new (and wonderful) album by Scissor Sistors as well.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2006, 03:33:14 AM »

Van Dyke's talents are still recognised and in demant. Not only on the forthcoming Joanna Newsom album but on the brand new (and wonderful) album by Scissor Sistors as well.

Really? I just saw them yesterday on TV, never heard of them before, and I liked it...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Nat
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2006, 10:47:25 PM »

He'd know. Lennon was a wanker! Imagine no possessions? Sure, after you John!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2006, 01:18:40 PM »

Let he among us who is perfect cast the first "JERK", eh?
MBE
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2006, 08:11:45 PM »

Van Dyke obviously does not like Love and has a grudge. I don't think anything he says about him is to be taken seriously.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2006, 04:55:59 PM »

Just because someone calls somebody a jerk once doesn't mean they don't like them. I've thought my friends were jerks at times. We all have "jerk" in us.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »

Van Dyke obviously does not like Love and has a grudge. I don't think anything he says about him is to be taken seriously.

What's the point of badmouthing Mike Love now? Why didn't he speak up back in the 60's?
Yeah, I mean why didn't he stand up to Mike Love 40 years ago and defend his lyrics and help Brian finish Smile, if he feels so passionate about it? It's a little late.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 05:37:14 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

MBE
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2006, 09:17:18 PM »

What's the point of badmouthing Mike Love now? Why didn't he speak up back in the 60's?
Yeah, I mean why didn't he stand up to Mike Love 40 years ago and defend his lyrics and help Brian finish Smile, if he feels so passionate about it? It's a little late.

That's why Parks pisses me off too. He left Brian in the lurch, worked with Mike several times over the years on seemingly peaceful terms and now hates him? I say Mike in even asking him to work with him was being the bigger man here. Remember for all his bitching Love DID sing Heroes, and Cabinessence, etc. Mike may have been rotten about Smile, but he did his job.  Van Dyke didn't even try to explain his work. Now it may be easy to swallow rock lyrics that aren't conventional, but in 1966 Last Train To Clarksville and Winchester Cathedral were HUGE. Untill he started trashing Mike in 2000 I liked Van Dyke, but whose the one who walked out of Smile Love or Parks? Yes I know Mike hurt Brian too, but no one can deny that he sang his parts, and sang them well.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2006, 09:29:49 PM »

It's definitely strange that Van Dyke's hatred for Mike has increased in intensity lately...maybe it was that "American Family" Stamos/Love TV movie that sent him over the edge (and rightfully so).  As far as I can tell, things between Van Dyke and Mike weren't all that bad before the movie.  And then of course when Brian decided to resurrect Smile, a lot of the resentment towards Mike only intensified. 

It is true that even though he complained, Mike sang all of his parts (and did a fantasitc job).  And clearly Van Dyke regrets abandoning Brian at a time when Brian only needed support.  It must have been a tough situation to be in, since he knew Brian needed the support but at the same time he was having to defend his lyrics and take crap from Mike.  In BD he said more than once that he wishes that he had stayed.  If he had, who knows, maybe Brian would have found a way to finish Smile.  I guess with all the time that has gone by, he realizes the impact that his departure had. 
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2006, 11:09:03 PM »

I believe that Van Dyke leaving was a decisive factor in the death of Smile. If Van Dyke had not abandoned the project and been more of a cheerleader for the album it probably would have gotten finished somehow. Who knows what would have happened after. But I think Brian could of hung in there the extra month or two needed to complete the album.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2006, 06:45:01 PM »

Remember that Mike complained about Tony Asher's lyrics as well. I don't know that he was more intense with Van Dyke, but Asher stuck it out. But I do not care at all how Van Dyke or the Smile music was portrayed in the movie. They made it appear that it was all random sound effects under influence of drugs. Why couldn't they have some 'Cabinessence' or 'Surfs Up' sounds? Or even 'Mrs O'Leary's Cow'?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx