gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:39:21 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Echo in the Canyon (New documentary w/ Brian interview)  (Read 18602 times)
super sally
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2019, 07:56:29 PM »

I agree with what you are saying-- but I think it's worth pointing out the movie might not have been made at all if Jakob Dylan hadn't been involved.

I finally watched this on Netflix. As others have said, I enjoyed the anecdotes-- even some I'd heard before--and I especially enjoyed Brian coming into the studio and telling Jakob he was in the wrong key! Brian was quite animated (for him) in his interview, which was nice to see. But there were some key players left out of the story.

Also, I thought it was WAY too much Jakob Dylan. I'm from his generation, and I'm a fan of Beck and Fiona Apple and Regina Spektor, all of whom appeared. But the film purported to be a tribute to this 60s music, yet it kept cutting to Dylan's versions of these classic songs rather than the originals. Yes, I know, it was supposed to be a promo for Jakob's tribute album, blah, blah. Also, the interviews kept cutting to Jakob and his really useless, "Hmms" and "Yeahs." The way the interviews are shot, you see the subject and Jakob sitting next to each other, and it keeps cutting to him for his nothing reactions. The ending credits said "starring" Jakob Dylan" and featuring everyone else. It would have been nice for him to step aside a little bit, especially since he didn't have much to say.

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »

I must admit I hadn’t heard of Jakob Dylan, but to look at him it’s pretty easy to work out how he got his break in music :D
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2020, 07:25:27 PM »

Agree, he looks terrible just like Bob Dylan.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2020, 07:23:46 AM »

I must admit I hadn’t heard of Jakob Dylan, but to look at him it’s pretty easy to work out how he got his break in music :D

He was in the band the Wallflowers which enjoyed some popularity in the late 90's.  They did a cover of Bowie's "Heroes" that got some airplay.  I saw them perform at Atlanta's Music Midtown back in 2000 and they were alright. 

Regarding this album, I downloaded the cover of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" that features him and Neil Young on it; didn't really care for it.  On the other hand, the cover Dylan and Eric Clapton do of Buffalo Springfield's "Questions" is quite nice and worth a listen. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2021, 09:37:49 AM »

Just bought the DVD. Watched it this morning.  Everyone should see this, if only for Brian’s role and the immense outpouring of respect and admiration aimed his way by many of the key players in that scene.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx