gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:54:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Echo in the Canyon (New documentary w/ Brian interview)  (Read 18605 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 04, 2019, 09:12:16 AM »

Saw on Rolling Stone’s website a trailer for a new documentary about LA’s music scene in the ’60s. Brian was interviewed for it and others appearing in it seem to bring up the Beach Boys a lot/seem very laudatory of Brian’s work. Look forward to seeing this!

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-news/echo-in-canyon-documentary-jakob-dylan-tom-petty-brian-wilson-817604/

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:19:50 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up. Sounds interesting. You can also see the Wild Honey-album cover in one shot.

Just one thing that I don't like is that the Beach Boys so many times get limited to be the band that influenced the Beatles (as was mentioned in the trailer). They can certainly stand on their own.
I also hope that Jan & Dean get their due.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 09:42:05 AM »

That looks really cool.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »

Agreed that Jan & Dean definitely deserve attention in a movie about the California Sound!

I can't wait to see this. Looks incredible.
zosobird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 05:02:17 PM »

Is that an actual picture of Brian's sandbox piano in the trailer at 1:45!?!?!

It almost looks like a grainy video actually. I've never seen a picture of the sandbox, didn't know one existed.

Anyone?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2019, 05:11:52 PM »

Just showed up in my newsfeed

https://www.google.com/amp/s/pitchfork.com/news/fiona-apple-beck-brian-wilson-more-appear-in-new-laurel-canyon-doc-watch-the-trailer/amp

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2019, 05:43:22 PM »

Is that an actual picture of Brian's sandbox piano in the trailer at 1:45!?!?!

It almost looks like a grainy video actually. I've never seen a picture of the sandbox, didn't know one existed.

Anyone?

No inside knowledge here, but I'm betting on: Not actual picture.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 08:26:39 PM »

A few more props in this shot but very similar to the ‘Love &Mercy’ piano. Right down to the beach ball and light switch.

https://mobile.twitter.com/beachboyslegacy/status/726817108592578560
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »

Can anyone identify what album they are holding at 1:55?

EDIT: I have discovered it - Last Time Around by Buffalo Springfield
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 12:47:00 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2019, 07:38:01 PM »

Don't know why they have included Ringo Starr and Eric Clapton, guess it's because so many key players are dead now.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 12:01:58 AM »

Don't know why they have included Ringo Starr and Eric Clapton, guess it's because so many key players are dead now.

They will probably just be there to comment stuff like "oh yeah, in England we loved the stuff coming out of lauren canyon...Brians a genius, loved the Byrds, etc etc"
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 08:11:17 AM »

They will probably just be there to comment stuff like "oh yeah, in England we loved the stuff coming out of lauren canyon...Brians a genius, loved the Byrds, etc etc"

I'm just suggesting this to the readers here and overall because it's a fascinating and very educational journey once you take it, and it isn't said with malice or anything of the sort: Take some time and read the history of Laurel Canyon and its key players, and even prior to seeing this film you'll see why Clapton and Ringo are involved in the film, and you'll find a lot more in the way of information and backstory that probably will *not* make it to a widely-distributed film. There is some truly bizarre, fascinating, and sometimes disturbing if not hilarious info to be found about the hills of Laurel Canyon especially in the 60's and the 70's...and also, how a top-secret yet known military intelligence-led film studio managed to co-exist with all these artists and hippie types for a time... Smiley

Anyway, to Clapton and Ringo:

One of the most prominent and important players in all of this was Mama Cass Elliot, who had a house in the Canyon which was something of a gathering point for a lot of musicians in the 60's. Mama Cass herself was such a strong personality she also was like the de facto organizer and putter-together of a lot of these musicians who would become friends and bandmates often as a result of one of Cass' parties or introductions. One of the bigger examples of Cass' matchmaking was how she introduced Graham Nash to Crosby, Stills, and Joni Mitchell...Nash having come from England and Crosby, Stills, and Mitchell either having their houses in the Canyon or being regular visitors there.

So Ringo in the late 70's was renting Mama Cass' old house, and proceeded to accidentally set it on fire one day. This was after Ringo was running around LA and the Canyon in the early 70's post-Beatles with the likes of Nilsson, Dolenz, Alice Cooper, etc...the Hollywood Vampyres crew. If you search for it, there are news report videos available of that day the Mama Cass house was on fire, with Ringo there. So Ringo was not only a guest earlier, but eventually a resident of Laurel Canyon.

Clapton was also a frequent guest of those living in the Canyon, like Mama Cass, Joni Mitchell, etc. Look up Henry Diltz, former MFQ member turned rock photographer, and you'll see Diltz's series of photos from a visit Clapton made to a party where Joni, Crosby, and other members of that crew were hanging out. And you'll see Clapton's pink boots...which if you know the story behind that, are pink boots of the sort Clapton was wearing when he and Stills were having a full-volume guitar jam session blasting into the valleys of another famous LA-area "canyon" when the police were called and it turned into a massive drug bust of the people partying there that night. The police took them to jail in a bus, and made Clapton strip down at the jail except for the pink boots, to embarrass this British guy wearing pink boots and get a few laughs at his expense.

And the Beatles/Harrison tune "Blue Jay Way" for the record is one of the "bird streets" around Laurel Canyon, house number 1567 to be exact, and was where George was renting and wrote the song about waiting for Derek Taylor (another Laurel Canyon resident) to arrive in summer '67. Art Garfunkel was another famous renter of that same house, along with other notables through the years.

So that's why Clapton and Ringo are in the film: They were there in and around Laurel Canyon when all these things were happening.

And it's also perhaps why Jan Berry would not be expected to be a main point/topic in such a film, it might make more sense to have his brother Bruce (and other brother Ken), mentioned as one of the casualties of the whole drug scene when heroin got into the mix among some of the musicians. Ken started SIR - Studio Instrument Rentals which is still in business as one of the prime equipment rental businesses today - and Bruce was one of those driving the "Ford Econoline van" for SIR as documented by Neil Young on Tonight's The Night while doing roadie and rental work for the likes of CSN and others. I don't know offhand how involved Jan was in the specific scene or locale targeted by this documentary, I'm sure he was a visitor like almost everyone, but it really wasn't his scene. His brother Bruce had he lived would have had plenty of stories about Laurel Canyon...but the film is more about this specific scene rather than California music in general.

Check out some of the history even before seeing the film, it's an amazing ride.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 08:42:56 AM »

But how are they going to wedge the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson into a "Laurel Canyon" thing (unless they are basically equating Laurel Canyon with "Southern California")  Beach Boys had nothing to do with that scene.  Friends is the most hilly, canyon-esque thing Brian or the Beach Boys ever did.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 08:53:23 AM »

But how are they going to wedge the Beach Boys and Brian Wilson into a "Laurel Canyon" thing (unless they are basically equating Laurel Canyon with "Southern California")  Beach Boys had nothing to do with that scene.  Friends is the most hilly, canyon-esque thing Brian or the Beach Boys ever did.

Brian lived with Marilyn at 1448 Laurel Way from 65-67. While there can be geographical debates about the boundaries of "Laurel Canyon" and which streets and land plots were actually included in that named area, Brian was living in the area at that time and also had close friends in and around this area, such as Mark Volman, Derek Taylor (who I mentioned above), and other members of the Smile era inner circle.

So why is Brian involved in this? He lived there, more or less, when he made what many would say is some of the finest popular music ever created.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JakeH
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 09:53:58 AM »

Fair enough - I've lost perspective; the documentary is made for a wider audience, and it's been a long time, so it may not matter where and when things occurred.  Laurel Way - the "Smile" house - most certainly is not Laurel Canyon either geographically or culturally - particuarly at that time.  Then when Brian moved, he moved to what is probably the wealthiest, most posh section of Bel-Air - very distinct from what Laurel Canyon was in those days, which for the musicians was cheap rent.  I see that none of this really matters after 50 years and it all may be grouped together. That actually makes sense.

I'll see this documentary and expect to enjoy it, but it will be interesting to see if, now, 50-60 years on, Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys are collectively grouped with CSN, Joni, "Love Street" and all that.  Because the reality, as you know, is that this earthy "canyon" thing (plus the Northern California San Francisco thing) is what supplanted - dethroned - the Beach Boys (and Brian) as the sound of "California" This of course is part of the Beach Boys story.  But again, Friends is the album that captures the Beach Boys' version of a woodsy canyon (that is, not the beach!) vibe, it pre-dated most the more well-known Laurel Canyon stuff, and it holds up as well as any of that material.  In fact the Friends promo video featues the Beach Boys cavorting in one of the local canyons.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2019, 10:17:58 AM »

I'm just suggesting this to the readers here and overall because it's a fascinating and very educational journey once you take it, and it isn't said with malice or anything of the sort: Take some time and read the history of Laurel Canyon and its key players, and even prior to seeing this film you'll see why Clapton and Ringo are involved in the film, and you'll find a lot more in the way of information and backstory that probably will *not* make it to a widely-distributed film. There is some truly bizarre, fascinating, and sometimes disturbing if not hilarious info to be found about the hills of Laurel Canyon especially in the 60's and the 70's...and also, how a top-secret yet known military intelligence-led film studio managed to co-exist with all these artists and hippie types for a time... Smiley

One of the most prominent and important players in all of this was Mama Cass Elliot, who had a house in the Canyon which was something of a gathering point for a lot of musicians in the 60's. Mama Cass herself was such a strong personality she also was like the de facto organizer and putter-together of a lot of these musicians who would become friends and bandmates often as a result of one of Cass' parties or introductions. One of the bigger examples of Cass' matchmaking was how she introduced Graham Nash to Crosby, Stills, and Joni Mitchell...Nash having come from England and Crosby, Stills, and Mitchell either having their houses in the Canyon or being regular visitors there.

So Ringo in the late 70's was renting Mama Cass' old house, and proceeded to accidentally set it on fire one day. This was after Ringo was running around LA and the Canyon in the early 70's post-Beatles with the likes of Nilsson, Dolenz, Alice Cooper, etc...the Hollywood Vampyres crew. If you search for it, there are news report videos available of that day the Mama Cass house was on fire, with Ringo there. So Ringo was not only a guest earlier, but eventually a resident of Laurel Canyon.

Clapton was also a frequent guest of those living in the Canyon, like Mama Cass, Joni Mitchell, etc. Look up Henry Diltz, former MFQ member turned rock photographer, and you'll see Diltz's series of photos from a visit Clapton made to a party where Joni, Crosby, and other members of that crew were hanging out. And you'll see Clapton's pink boots...which if you know the story behind that, are pink boots of the sort Clapton was wearing when he and Stills were having a full-volume guitar jam session blasting into the valleys of another famous LA-area "canyon" when the police were called and it turned into a massive drug bust of the people partying there that night. The police took them to jail in a bus, and made Clapton strip down at the jail except for the pink boots, to embarrass this British guy wearing pink boots and get a few laughs at his expense.

And the Beatles/Harrison tune "Blue Jay Way" for the record is one of the "bird streets" around Laurel Canyon, house number 1567 to be exact, and was where George was renting and wrote the song about waiting for Derek Taylor (another Laurel Canyon resident) to arrive in summer '67. Art Garfunkel was another famous renter of that same house, along with other notables through the years.

So that's why Clapton and Ringo are in the film: They were there in and around Laurel Canyon when all these things were happening.

And it's also perhaps why Jan Berry would not be expected to be a main point/topic in such a film, it might make more sense to have his brother Bruce (and other brother Ken), mentioned as one of the casualties of the whole drug scene when heroin got into the mix among some of the musicians. Ken started SIR - Studio Instrument Rentals which is still in business as one of the prime equipment rental businesses today - and Bruce was one of those driving the "Ford Econoline van" for SIR as documented by Neil Young on Tonight's The Night while doing roadie and rental work for the likes of CSN and others. I don't know offhand how involved Jan was in the specific scene or locale targeted by this documentary, I'm sure he was a visitor like almost everyone, but it really wasn't his scene. His brother Bruce had he lived would have had plenty of stories about Laurel Canyon...but the film is more about this specific scene rather than California music in general.

Check out some of the history even before seeing the film, it's an amazing ride.

Is there a good book about this?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »

Fair enough - I've lost perspective; the documentary is made for a wider audience, and it's been a long time, so it may not matter where and when things occurred.  Laurel Way - the "Smile" house - most certainly is not Laurel Canyon either geographically or culturally - particuarly at that time.  Then when Brian moved, he moved to what is probably the wealthiest, most posh section of Bel-Air - very distinct from what Laurel Canyon was in those days, which for the musicians was cheap rent.  I see that none of this really matters after 50 years and it all may be grouped together. That actually makes sense.

I'll see this documentary and expect to enjoy it, but it will be interesting to see if, now, 50-60 years on, Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys are collectively grouped with CSN, Joni, "Love Street" and all that.  Because the reality, as you know, is that this earthy "canyon" thing (plus the Northern California San Francisco thing) is what supplanted - dethroned - the Beach Boys (and Brian) as the sound of "California" This of course is part of the Beach Boys story.  But again, Friends is the album that captures the Beach Boys' version of a woodsy canyon (that is, not the beach!) vibe, it pre-dated most the more well-known Laurel Canyon stuff, and it holds up as well as any of that material.  In fact the Friends promo video featues the Beach Boys cavorting in one of the local canyons.

I think the doc may be aiming for the idea of cross-pollination among all these young musicians - specifically in the mid-60's related to when Brian was living at 1448 Laurel Way - and how so many key members responsible for making that classic music were living not too far away from each other. And, as a result, how they would develop friendships, share ideas and new songs at each other's houses in that general area, and in some cases how some now-classic bands and lineups were formed as a result.

The doc may not be trying to get caught up in exact geography and zip codes and all that, but instead taking a look at just how many musicians were living in that general area where any of them could hop in a car and coast down one of those winding hill roads and be smack-dab in the middle of the Sunset Strip, on Sunset Blvd, and all of the key locations and studios were not all that far away. And yes, I agree there was the difference between the bigger successes like Brian and John/Michelle Phillips who were in the higher-rent areas versus others like the band The Rockets who would become Crazy Horse, with leader Danny Whitten and his crew playing marathon jam sessions in a garage that bordered a busy curve heading down to Sunset where people driving by would hear them playing sometimes all day long.

So factor in how Danny Hutton considered Danny Whitten for the band he was forming which became Redwood then Three Dog Night, and how Mark Volman would come over to Brian's house to listen to songs he was working on, and how Michelle Phillips comments on visiting Brian and Marilyn in the film trailer and how she saw the sandbox, and mentions what Brian was working on...and multiply all of those by the many other now famous musicians who were coexisting and hanging out with each other at this time in the mid-60's. Fast forward a few years, and the new crop of California-Sound singer-songwriters like Jackson Browne, Carole King, the whole Troubador crew, etc...

It's like playing rock history "6 Degrees Of Separation" and so many of these key figures in the LA music scene in the 60's and 70's have one degree between them, and many were in the same basic area, whether it's technically and geographically Laurel Canyon or Beverly Hills or any other name. Then there is the Blue Jay Way house which was rented by other very famous musicians, as mentioned above, and that was just one house that happened to host Beatles and other luminaries when they came to LA in the mid to late 60's. It was a pretty amazing time for that many classic artists in their 20's for the most part to be within the same general area and all of them just a downhill drive from the Sunset Strip where they were performing and recording, or had offices, etc.

I think that's what the film may be aiming for, to show how so much classic music was created by a group of young musicians living in close proximity to each other and how their location enabled them to interact, share ideas, and make things happen. It is to me like talking about the "Greenwich Village" scene, and taking it as a whole in order to tell the story versus focusing on individual blocks or streets or even house numbers versus the overall impact of all those musicians being in the same general area at the same time in history.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:26:15 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2019, 10:31:01 AM »

I'd try Harvey Kubernick's "Canyon Of Dreams" for a start - Harvey is one of the best authors and historians in the business, and actually lived in the Canyon, so it's often a firsthand perspective. I'm posting an Amazon link to Harvey's book, and in the suggestions and related titles you'll see other books about Laurel Canyon with some different focal points on the history related to the music community. Check them out:

https://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Dreams-Magic-Music-Laurel/dp/1402797613

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2019, 12:18:24 PM »

I'd try Harvey Kubernick's "Canyon Of Dreams" for a start - Harvey is one of the best authors and historians in the business, and actually lived in the Canyon, so it's often a firsthand perspective. I'm posting an Amazon link to Harvey's book, and in the suggestions and related titles you'll see other books about Laurel Canyon with some different focal points on the history related to the music community. Check them out:

https://www.amazon.com/Canyon-Dreams-Magic-Music-Laurel/dp/1402797613

Thanks! Amazingly my local library has a copy. I just put in a request through their website.
SBonilla
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2019, 01:07:16 PM »

Where's Jackie DeShannon?
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 11:37:15 AM »

According to Rolling Stone, Neil Young is featured on a recording of “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times” for the film’s soundtrack. No Brian involvement is mentioned though. https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/jakob-dylan-jade-castrinos-cover-mamas-and-the-papas-go-where-you-wanna-go-826578/
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:41:22 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 07:58:08 PM »

A group of musicians led by Jakob Dylan involved in paying tribute to the original musicians and songs will be performing live this Friday in Philly, broadcast on WXPN as part of their Free At Noon program. You can go to the WXPN website and also watch live video of the show (and they also archive past performances), at this link:

https://edge2.xpn.org/events/free-at-noon/item/5933-echo-in-the-canyon-featuring-jakob-dylan-cat-power-jade

I'm really excited about this. I'm curious to hear the other songs this group performing here Friday as well as the overall cast as written up in RS will do and how they will work them up.

Live video and audio stream of this show is at 12PM EST, this Friday. Definitely worth checking out.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »

This was linked to from Brian's Facebook account:

‘The Immensity Of His Genius Can’t Be Measured’: Jakob Dylan, Andy Slater Talk Brian Wilson & ‘Echo In The Canyon’ Film

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/05/31/echo-in-the-canyon-jakob-dylan-andy-slater-tom-petty-interview/?fbclid=IwAR0uhPyeUNp2MAEHVtSp7ejeUQKVx4RkFp8227qnYzyuo2pOs0WvQz9z0R4

The film also spends a good chunk of time diving into the story of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys. Dylan and Slater wanted to make sure a new group of music fans understood just how revered Wilson and his group was and still is in the music industry.

“It’s interesting because some people think of The Beach Boys with the surf boards and matching shirts,” said Dylan. “I could see if you were someone like Tom Petty and you grew up with that music, you’d remember those images as strong as the next ones. I never think of those images really. I think of the later Beach Boys stuff.”

“If you’re listening to the earlier period where Brian’s father is producing, they’re more influenced by the surf culture,” said Slater. “Brian starts to really expand the parameters of what The Beach Boys are doing by searching for the idea of how one fits into society. The immensity of his genius can’t be measured.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 10:07:33 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »

The soundtrack album has Jakob Dylan and Fiona Apple doing In My Room, and Dylan and Neil Young doing I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2019, 10:16:34 AM »

This was linked to from Brian's Facebook account:

‘The Immensity Of His Genius Can’t Be Measured’: Jakob Dylan, Andy Slater Talk Brian Wilson & ‘Echo In The Canyon’ Film

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/05/31/echo-in-the-canyon-jakob-dylan-andy-slater-tom-petty-interview/?fbclid=IwAR0uhPyeUNp2MAEHVtSp7ejeUQKVx4RkFp8227qnYzyuo2pOs0WvQz9z0R4

The film also spends a good chunk of time diving into the story of Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys. Dylan and Slater wanted to make sure a new group of music fans understood just how revered Wilson and his group was and still is in the music industry.

“It’s interesting because some people think of The Beach Boys with the surf boards and matching shirts,” said Dylan. “I could see if you were someone like Tom Petty and you grew up with that music, you’d remember those images as strong as the next ones. I never think of those images really. I think of the later Beach Boys stuff.”

“If you’re listening to the earlier period where Brian’s father is producing, they’re more influenced by the surf culture,” said Slater. “Brian starts to really expand the parameters of what The Beach Boys are doing by searching for the idea of how one fits into society. The immensity of his genius can’t be measured.

Bravo to Dylan, Slater, and the makers of this film for taking on this topic.

What I find both satisfying and ironic about this quote above is how for the previous however many years of reading these message boards there have been a small but vocal (and annoying) group of so-called "fans" who would react to such statements about Brian Wilson's influence on and reverence from the music industry as hype, overstatement, or even that old chestnut being a "Brianista" whatever that bullshit is supposed to mean.

So now we have yet another documentary film expressing the same sentiments and opinions that have been shot down at various times through the years within this small circle of online fans for being too much hype for Brian, by "Brianistas" or other nonsense.

The truth wins out yet again. So there is that to think about next time some online jackass starts into someone who is talking enthusiastically about Brian Wilson...

Off soapbox, back to listening to Echo In The Canyon soundtrack tunes...

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx